Forum Index > Trip Reports > Deadhorse Pass Chiwaukum Mtns 7/11-12/2014
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
daffish

daffish
PostSun Jul 13, 2014 12:53 pm 
I left the White Pine Trailhead in the mid-afternoon on this scorcher of a day. The trail contoured a steep hillside in dry forest for 2.5 miles to the junction with the Wild Horse Trail.
forest hike on a hillside high above the creek
forest hike on a hillside high above the creek
always a good sign
always a good sign
from shade to sun
from shade to sun
trail junction sign
trail junction sign
Now the work began as a continual ascent upward took its toll on my energy. It was slow going and I paused at all the stream crossings to allow the downward draught of cool air to wash over me. Five miles from the trailhead, in the valley below the pass, I found the way trail leading upward. I had noticed this path on a previous trip and suspected it led upward to a (hunters?) camp. The path ascended the north edge of the valley before crossing over to a basin with meadows near the 5600’ elevation level. There was indeed a horse camp here, but the meadows were still fairly boggy and I retreated back up the path to camp in a semi-open spot on the hill.
basin with meadow at 5600ft
basin with meadow at 5600ft
camp just above the basin
camp just above the basin
That evening, the alpenglow burnished the rock of the Chiwaukums a deep red and later, the full moon kept the night sky bright.
alpineglow on the Chiwaukums
alpineglow on the Chiwaukums
In the morning, I readied myself for even more elevation gain and headed out to go to Deadhorse Pass. It was easy bushwhacking through light brush wiggling upward trying to stay in the more open areas. At first I went to the open and talus filled southern facing slopes but soon saw that it would be to my advantage to drop down a bit and just follow the stream upward. Now above the forested areas, the scramble was a delightful trip upward with the new green growth of spring alongside the tumbling stream.
scrambling upward in the morning
scrambling upward in the morning
following the stream upward
following the stream upward
As I got higher, I came to a snowy basin with steep walls protecting the ‘soccer field’. This ‘field’ showed as a wide expanse of flat area on the topo map and I was curious to find out what it actually looked like. But first, I had to get up the wall. For my up route I chose a green heather slope that turned out to be much steeper than I anticipated. Indeed, during one section, I was literally on all fours going up. But it went and I found myself on the lip of a curious basin. The ‘soccer field’ was more of a failed cirque with a wannabe lake on it. And the ‘lake’ was more of a flooded meadow than an actual pond. I suspected the water may be seasonal.
first view of the 'soccer field'
first view of the 'soccer field'
lake is mostly a flooded meadow
lake is mostly a flooded meadow
From here, the route up to the pass was obvious and I took the route that stayed on snow as much as possible to avoid the talus.
Deadhorse Pass route
Deadhorse Pass route
looking northwesterly to Jim Hill Mtn
looking northwesterly to Jim Hill Mtn
Soon at the pass, I found myself dead tired at Deadhorse Pass. For all the prediction of excessive heat for the day, it was very cool at 7200’ and I had to put on a pullover to stay warm. The lakes to the east were still in the grips of winter as Cup Lake below me was still 90% snow covered, while the lower Larch Lake was 90% snow free.
dead tired at Deadhorse Pass
dead tired at Deadhorse Pass
a tiny Pine struggles to survive at Deadhorse Pass
a tiny Pine struggles to survive at Deadhorse Pass
west views from Deadhorse Pass area
west views from Deadhorse Pass area
Cup Lake still snow covered; Larch Lake mostly snow free
Cup Lake still snow covered; Larch Lake mostly snow free
Coming down was a breeze and the snowfields brought me back to the ‘soccer field’ where I wandered around and checked it out. To get down, I descended a nasty and steep rock and dirt filled gully that launched multitudes of rocks sliding down below me. Done with that section, I followed the main stream back downward until getting into the forested area and taking a detour to stay slightly on top of a rise to reach my camp.
'soccer field' up and down gullies
'soccer field' up and down gullies
descending alongside the stream
descending alongside the stream
As I was descending the forest well above the meadows, I ran across a very old sign nailed to a tree which made me wonder if there was an old trail that led higher up towards the pass. I certainly wasn’t on any discernable trail where I saw the sign.
old sign in the forest above the hunters camp
old sign in the forest above the hunters camp
Rested up back at camp, I packed up and started the haul downward. The bugs had been a bother at all the higher elevations, even at the pass, but as I descended lower on the trail, they disappeared and I had only my own tired feet to contend with. Stats: 13 miles RT 4400’ elevation gain

"Be moderate in everything, including moderation" Horace Porter
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostSun Jul 13, 2014 7:39 pm 
Did you find the dead horse? Im pretty sure there werent any fish up there! Nice work.

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Marmot Salad

Marmot Salad
PostSun Jul 13, 2014 8:22 pm 
Nice. Looks like you had the place to yourself.

HitTheTrail

HitTheTrail
PostSun Jul 13, 2014 9:19 pm 
Good trail beta for me. up.gif (I like hiking on trails actually). Grace Lakes via Wildhorse is high on my list for a quick backup "get off the couch" hike when all else fails. It will probably execute when my wife wants me out of the house next. BTW, places like the "Soccer field" appeal to me.

D. Inscho
Not bored yet...

D. Inscho
Not bored yet...
PostMon Jul 14, 2014 6:48 am 
Deadhorse is a great alternative to the long Larch lake route. A stay in Deadhorse meadows is nice enough destination itself. Thanks for the reminder smile.gif
Quote:
the ‘lake’ was more of a flooded meadow than an actual pond. I suspected the water may be seasonal.
It is seasonal. There was no water in the basin during my stay there in the fall.

http://david-inscho.smugmug.com/ The key to a successful trip is to do the planning during work hours. -- John Muir “My most memorable hikes can be classified as 'Shortcuts that Backfired'.” --Ed Abbey
MLHSN
What goes here?????

MLHSN
What goes here?????
PostMon Jul 14, 2014 7:50 am 
Good stuff up.gif