Forum Index > Trail Talk > Break-in at the Icicle Chatter Cr. TH 5/28/2023
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
HitTheTrail

HitTheTrail
PostMon May 29, 2023 5:49 am 
Someone I know very well had his window smashed and the vehicle burgled at the Chatter Cr. TH up the Icicle this weekend. It was mid-day with other vehicles in the parking lot.

dave allyn
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
RichP

RichP
PostMon May 29, 2023 6:48 am 
I saw on peakbagger that someone had their car broken into while climbing Big Chiwaukum at the White Pine Trailhead this weekend.

snowmonkey

snowmonkey
PostMon May 29, 2023 6:59 am 
As a resident near the areas mentioned, the increase of people and crime (not just at TH’s) has noticeably increased. Just like other jurisdictions, Chelan Co Sheriff is overwhelmed trying to keep up.

Ocian in view! O! The joy! William Clark
Brucester

Brucester
PostWed Jun 14, 2023 9:18 am 
It seems most have no idea this even occurs. It's like people are oblivious. "Oh you say don't leave that on my front seat, why?" "Oh, I had no idea. Good point." Duh. True story.

neek

neek
PostWed Jun 14, 2023 9:22 am 
^ Fair - but mine's been broken into with absolutely nothing in the car. Never lock the doors anymore.

D. Inscho
Mountainpines

Mountainpines
PostThu Jun 15, 2023 5:59 am 
Do you recommend unlocked doors while on trails? We are going to have a rental. The only place when we might have belongings with us is on our first day since we are on the way to our accommodations in Quinault, but we want to stop in Staircase on the way. Is Staircase heavily crowded in the parking lots? It makes it harder to plan for people out of state since they want to see things on the way before checking in for the night. Washington is the ONLY state we have to worry about such things.

snowmonkey

snowmonkey
PostThu Jun 15, 2023 7:11 am 
Then don’t come here- easy solution!

Ocian in view! O! The joy! William Clark

Secret Agent Man, John_B  Mountainpines
Mountainpines

Mountainpines
PostThu Jun 15, 2023 8:23 am 
We are coming to the national park this year. Hopefully in the Staircase they collect the entrance fee. Usually where the entrance fee is collected things like that don’t happen as frequently. Maybe if they will start charging some, they will have people stationed in more places. And that might divert others to go elsewhere…

Sculpin

Sculpin
PostThu Jun 15, 2023 8:31 am 
Trailhead crime is no worse in Washington than anywhere else. I will point out again that while leaving your car unlocked might be a fine idea, if you file an insurance claim you will be asked whether your car was locked, and I imagine there would be no coverage if you admitted that it was not. So you would have to lie, which is insurance fraud. Just sayin'.

Between every two pines is a doorway to the new world. - John Muir

Mountainpines
Mountainpines

Mountainpines
PostThu Jun 15, 2023 8:37 am 
It’s the worst. And we have been all over the states.

uww
altasnob

altasnob
PostThu Jun 15, 2023 9:34 am 
While I won't guarantee you won't get your car broken into at Staircase, I think that is one of the least likely places for that to happen. It's a large parking lot, and people are coming and going at all hours. There is a patrolled ranger station a few feet away from the parking lot. And there is an extremely busy campground just across the street. If a criminal wanted to break into cars, they would pass a lot of parked cars along Lake Cushman they could break into (and save gas) without having to drive all the way to Staircase. Also working in your favor is that the State's clearing house prison is just down the road, as is the state patrol training academy. You've got to be really, really, high to break into a car at Staircase.

Anne Elk, Mountainpines
altasnob

altasnob
PostThu Jun 15, 2023 9:39 am 
Sculpin wrote:
if you file an insurance claim you will be asked whether your car was locked, and I imagine there would be no coverage if you admitted that it was not
I don't think this is the case. Insurance covers even when you are negligent (like leaving your stove on and it burns down your house). Washington is one of the most pro consumer states when it comes to insurance claims, and if an insurance company wrongfully denies a claim here and you sue and win you get triple damages and attorney fees. Because of this, insurance companies would error on just paying the claim rather than fight you.

Anne Elk
Mountainpines

Mountainpines
PostThu Jun 15, 2023 10:59 am 
Quote:
Thank you, altasnob. That’s the only day we will have things stored in a car while parked.

Sculpin

Sculpin
PostThu Jun 15, 2023 12:33 pm 
Mountainpines wrote:
It’s the worst. And we have been all over the states.
huh.gif There does not seem to be a summation of data that allows a state-by-state comparison that I can find. But if I look I can find things like this for numerous western states: https://www.adn.com/alaska-news/crime-courts/2019/05/03/some-crime-weary-hikers-are-pursuing-their-own-solutions-to-trailhead-break-ins/ If you have some data on relative rates of crime at trailheads in different states I'm sure lots of folks here would be interested. Meanwhile, I have done 80+% of my hiking in Washington but the only time my car was broken into was in the California redwoods, so your anecdotal evidence is not going to move the needle for me. shakehead.gif

Between every two pines is a doorway to the new world. - John Muir

Mountainpines
Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostThu Jun 15, 2023 1:09 pm 
I call BS on WA being the worst. The fact that this joker is coming here is proof he doesn’t believe it either.

klock  Mountainpines