Forum Index > Trip Reports > Western Valhallas Via Queets
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Larry

Larry
PostSat Jul 12, 2014 11:07 am 
Hello: I've been on hiatus for quite a while - surgeries aplenty. Now back in shape and I'm ecstatic about my recoveries. I was wondering if I would ever get out again a couple of years ago, but my body came through for me. Completed nice hike up Queets to Pelton Creek and scramble to western Valhallas Pretty steep but went okay Still a fair amount of snow hanging around Climbed Heimdahl and Vidar South - ran out of energy for Sleipnur Beautiful and excellent swimming lake in basin before top of ridge on Queets side Queets valley was stunning as usual Strenuous, rewarding, and building my confidence in my body's strength again smile.gif Larry

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
RodF

RodF
PostSat Jul 12, 2014 11:36 am 
What delightful news! Ambitious++ route! Hoping you may share pictures with all of us? And hoping that there will be more tales of discovery of the Olympics from its most intimately knowledgable off-trail explorer for years to come!

"of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt" - John Muir "the wild is not the opposite of cultivated. It is the opposite of the captivated” - Vandana Shiva
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostSat Jul 12, 2014 11:56 am 
excellent. would love to see some photos, Larry. curious about your route... I started up that ridge spur just opposite mouth of Alta once... made it maybe 600-700 feet up (vertical) before it cliffed out. it was too dang hot and I gave it up. glad you're back out! bk

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Larry

Larry
PostSat Jul 12, 2014 12:51 pm 
Thanks VERY much for the kind words folks. Without going into details, the physicians told me I wouldn't be hiking again - ever - except possibly a mile here and there on level terrain. This was simply unacceptable, at least for me, and I told the 'naysayer' doctors the same. Devastation set in for a while, but then I got busy becoming whole again. Rod, your words are too kind; it would be huge chore to live up to those words. Ski, I can understand your reticence on climbing the cliffy hillside opposite Alta Creek. I think that band of cliffy stuff extends horizontally all the way to Pelton. My Fuji X100 is now somewhere on the slopes going down into the South Fork Hoh. I tried for a self-portrait on a pile of rocks. And, of course, the camera tipped over and flew down the slope. I considered retrieving it, but decided it was too dangerous for a guy alone. However, I do have some pics saved on another filled-up SD card that I took on the lower slopes leading out of Pelton area. One of them might show the route from below. A sad loss, but things are to be kept in perspective. Oh, and don't tell anyone, but I bawled my eyes out in the middle of the ascent up the hillside. This was out of emotional joy for getting back to the 'sweat dripping off the nose' routine. Actually, it's okay to cry, so I'm not going to apologize for it. smile.gif Thanks again for the kind words.

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostSat Jul 12, 2014 1:05 pm 
Quote:
the physicians told me I wouldn't be hiking again
a guy wearing white with "MD" after his name told me that exact same thing in 97. I decided I'd make him wrong. so... no apologies necessary! wink.gif okay.... so.... I'm going to hazard a guess and assume you started west of Pelton? I was camped on that gravel bar immediately opposite the mouth of Alta and started there. heck of a deal about the camera!

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Larry

Larry
PostSat Jul 12, 2014 1:20 pm 
Ski...I applaud you for 'coming back to life' after the doctors said "No". smile.gif Sorry about the lack of detail about my starting point up the slopes. I actually started about 1/4 mile UPSTREAM from Pelton Creek shelter area. I don't have a map in front of me, but I worked my way up to a slump zone in very steep trees, with only an occasional cliffy section to work around. From that slump zone, I bore directly up and east to a notch in a rocky ridge until I could overlook the lake and basin. Pretty good going from there - a little dicey getting into the basin proper, and then just meadows and heather to the Valhalla ridgeline. It was devastatingly hot, but lots of water saved the day. Best to you. L

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostSat Jul 12, 2014 2:25 pm 
I was going up there every weekend that summer. Had a hell of an infection (no skin). They kept telling me to stay home. I took a self-portrait just below Kilkelly one morning and when I got the film back later that week took a look at it and thought "Damn, man, you really aren't in any shape to keep doing this." But there was no way in hell I was going to let anything keep me from my favorite swimming hole up there, in spite of their dire predictions. re: route description: Thats' close enough I can make sense of it. I was only carrying a Nikon and a tripod- no water- would have been mid-July and probably in the 90s. And late in the day. Just didn't seem like a wise idea to keep going up. wink.gif Going to try to explore the other side up above Alta. Latest Google Earth images appear as though there have been some major shifts in the channel from when I was last up that high.
usgs_7.5_topo_bob_creek_1990_crop
usgs_7.5_topo_bob_creek_1990_crop
Always wondered if there was actually water in that thing- can't really tell for sure from the Google images online. I've been watching the USGS gaging station site and it looks like it's still a bit high. I'm guessing you didn't have much trouble with the ford down below? Keep at it! smile.gif Brian

reststep

reststep
PostSat Jul 12, 2014 3:21 pm 
It s great to see you back and out hiking again Larry. Sorry to hear about your camera. I am having knee problems and you and Ski are giving me hope.

"The mountains are calling and I must go." - John Muir
Phil

Phil
PostSat Jul 12, 2014 11:32 pm 
Great to be reading of your adventures Larry!

Larry

Larry
PostSun Jul 13, 2014 12:06 pm 
Ski, the ford wasn't too bad...about mid thigh to crotch. The guage showed 1800cfs, which is usually about my limit. I never felt in danger though. Regarding water in the lakelet - there sure WAS water there - and, believe it or not - DUCKS. Kilkelly Rapids are very cool. And the wonderful terrain above is spectacular with the rain forest setting. A few years ago - no, wait - about TWENTY FIVE years ago - eek.gif - I came down from Lake Beauty and those wonderful meadows that kept going forever as I descended. The river was low, so I actually waded nearly the whole length to Pelton. Unique and wonderful to be able to wade downriver. Again, no map here, but I think it was the ridgeline between Hee Hee and Hee Haw. GREAT to hear that you got out to that wonderful area of the river.

Larry

Larry
PostSun Jul 13, 2014 12:10 pm 
reststep: With the wonderful medical engineering from today's modern medicine, you'll kiss the knee problems good bye, I'm sure of it! Then, just keep on running like the battery bunny. I'm alarmingly close to 70 years old, so if my body can recover, so can yours.

Larry

Larry
PostSun Jul 13, 2014 12:13 pm 
Thanks Phil. I've ALWAYS taken great vibes from you, and I totally respect your wonderful love of the out-of-the-way places in the Olympics. You have actually inspired me for quite a few years.

Deereguy

Deereguy
PostMon Jul 14, 2014 10:55 am 
Larry, thanks for sharing. Solo? Over the years, My son and I have done a number of trips in that area. Mostly, from the DNR side and up Harlow side off the Queets. Your route looks most interesting. I would like to try your route this Summer. Yes, I'm an old geezer, 70 and solo. While, I'm not a social person, any geezers want to get together (for lunch?) to share Valhallas. Deereguy in Shelton

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostMon Jul 14, 2014 11:08 am 
Quote:
Solo?
you mean there's some other way? wink.gif looks like I'm stuck here until first week of August yet. just hope we get a decent weather window. Larry- thanks for the note.

GaliWalker
Have camera will use

GaliWalker
Have camera will use
PostMon Jul 14, 2014 11:10 am 
How cool to see you back, Larry; I've always enjoyed your photos - one of my favorites on NWHikers. I recently dropped my Canon 5D in a creek. I fished it out reasonably quickly, but am now encountering problems with the LCD display. I fear this is a precursor to bigger problems. frown.gif I knew I needed to get a new camera in the next year or two anyway, so bit the bullet and ordered a Canon 5D Mark III the other day. Now I feel queasy about the $s spent. Losing a perfectly good camera can be a real bummer.

'Gali'Walker => 'Mountain-pass' walker bobbi: "...don't you ever forget your camera!" Photography: flickr.com/photos/shahiddurrani