Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > really low tide
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostSun Jul 13, 2014 3:02 pm 
Tide was out the furthest I've ever seen it on the Edmonds waterfront around the ferry dock and fisherman's wharf. You could walk under the dock. There are a bunch of big anemones that are totally high and dry. They're fairly comical, they're all droopy and flaccid looking.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
kbatku
Questionable hiker

kbatku
Questionable hiker
PostSun Jul 13, 2014 7:26 pm 
Got up and to the beach this morning by 7:30, which was LOW tide here in Yachats. All sorts of things to see and critters to examine. It was awesome -2.5 here.

Jumble Jowls

Jumble Jowls
PostMon Jul 14, 2014 2:11 pm 
If the tide is really, really low, watch out. Could come back in faster than you can run. Tsunamis begin with the tide going out really far, then rushing back in at an incredible speed.

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostMon Jul 14, 2014 2:21 pm 
Jumble Jowls wrote:
If the tide is really, really low, watch out. Could come back in faster than you can run. Tsunamis begin with the tide going out really far, then rushing back in at an incredible speed.
Yeah, not that low. I think it had a lot to do with the super moon the night before that people were reporting.

wolffie

wolffie
PostWed Jul 16, 2014 4:03 pm 
Tidepooling may be interesting in the aftermath of the Great Sea Star Plague. They're all dying off all along the west coast, and they're apex predators, so their absence will affect the littoral communities substantially, and in surprising ways.

Some people have better things to do with their lives than walking the dog. Some don't.
tmatlack

tmatlack
PostWed Jul 16, 2014 4:11 pm 
Low tides be damned, matey. On Monday's Pacific Beach high tide, 'bout 3:30 pm, Westhaven State Park, the "surfer beach" at Westport, had the cleanest, nicest waves I've seen there in 24 years of body surfing, boogie boarding, and now surf kayaking. Some of the better, more patient surfers were getting 15-25 second rides on knee to waist highleft and right breaking shoulders. Would have been a great day for beginners. (It is usually choppy washing machine beach break) Alas, I was 5 miles south, at Grayland, where I can drive on the beach to provide a base camp for my old, fragile hound while I kayak and the waves were not as organized or pretty, but still fun. Tom