Forum Index > Trip Reports > Hesman's Annual Tolmie Peak Moonrise/Sunset Hike 2014
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Hesman

Hesman
PostTue Jul 15, 2014 9:01 pm 
Well, once again, it was off to Tolmie Peak for my annual full moonrise and sunset extravaganza on July 13th. Joining me on this fine adventure was TPayne himself. It was a few years ago that I managed to get TPayne addicted to coming along and it hasn't been too hard to get him to keep coming back for more hikes to Tolmie Peak. We arrived at a busy Mowich Lake parking lot at the same time and found a spot to park our dusty cars. That was after surviving a rather rough road. There are some severe potholes for the last 4 miles leading up to the national park boundary. Once you get into the national park the road is in pretty good shape. We set off up the trail at about 5:00ish and arrived at the fire lookout at about 7:00ish and once we arrived it was time for the photography madness to begin. Since it was cloudy we weren't sure what kind of sunset or moonrise we would be getting. But once we arrived at the lookout, we could see to the south that there were no clouds and that the clouds were slowly moving to the north. Mt. St. Helens was lit up by the setting sun. By the time it got dark enough clouds had cleared out around Rainier that we were able to see the full moon, but we didn't get to see it rise since the clouds hadn't completely cleared off by then. The sunset was rather spectacular, with the top half of Rainier getting some sun on it. There was some high clouds over the Puget Sound and the Olympics, but we could see a small band of no clouds right over the top of the Olympics which made for a very colorful sunset. At about sunset we watched some intermittent lightning strike over the south Puget Sound. We tried to get some pictures of the lightning, but since we didn't have the slightest clue on how to take lightning pictures and too dang slow at pressing the shutter button we were unsuccessful at getting any. I brought along my LED Maglite flashlight and it is much brighter than I thought it would be. I was able to barely light up the fire lookout from the trail next to Eunice Lake. TPayne was wondering if the flashlight was melting any snow. We began the walk out to Mowich Lake at 11:00 and arrived at our cars at a couple of minutes before 1:00 in the morning. On the way out we saw two deer with their eyes glowing in the light of our flashlights. Since I had to be back to work at 8:00 in the morning, I decided to drive home and I arrived home at 3:15 in morning and was in bed by 3:30 to get 2.5 hours of sleep before dragging myself to work. On the drive out I saw my first ever porcupine.
Avalanche Lily
Avalanche Lily
Bear Grass
Bear Grass
Let There Be Light
Let There Be Light
St. Helens
St. Helens
Beam of Light
Beam of Light
Sunset
Sunset
Sunset
Sunset
Sunset
Sunset
Tolmie Peak Lookout
Tolmie Peak Lookout
Moon and Rainier
Moon and Rainier
Night Lights
Night Lights
Spot of Light
Spot of Light

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
hikerman

hikerman
PostTue Jul 15, 2014 9:18 pm 
Nice pics! That's a long day/night. Did you run into anyone else out there that late? Maybe just campers back at the lake?

TPayne

TPayne
PostTue Jul 15, 2014 10:06 pm 
What makes this a fun annual hike is that the weather is always different. Pretty cool to see a sunset with lightning!
Eunice Lake with ice, July 13th, 2014. Tolmie Peak fire lookout above.
Eunice Lake with ice, July 13th, 2014. Tolmie Peak fire lookout above.
Mt Rainier and Beargrass along the trail.
Mt Rainier and Beargrass along the trail.
Mt Rainier and ice in Eunice Lake below.
Mt Rainier and ice in Eunice Lake below.
Thunderstorms behind Mt Rainier
Thunderstorms behind Mt Rainier
Summit of Rainier at sunet
Summit of Rainier at sunet
Tolmie Peak sunset over Puget Sound area
Tolmie Peak sunset over Puget Sound area
Thunderstorm over Olympics and McChord AFB lights below. Couldn't capture any bolts of lightning... Numerous strikes made an enjoyable show.
Thunderstorm over Olympics and McChord AFB lights below. Couldn't capture any bolts of lightning... Numerous strikes made an enjoyable show.
The supermoon rising over the summit of Mt Rainier from Tolmie Peak fire tower at 10PM
The supermoon rising over the summit of Mt Rainier from Tolmie Peak fire tower at 10PM

Magellan
Brutally Handsome

Magellan
Brutally Handsome
PostTue Jul 15, 2014 10:35 pm 
Very cool, Hes. up.gif

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostTue Jul 15, 2014 10:46 pm 
supermoon! great photos you two! thanks!

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Jim Dockery

Jim Dockery
PostWed Jul 16, 2014 7:44 am 
Hardcore night hike/drive - cool to do something like that every now and then. Worth it for the pics up.gif