Forum Index > Trail Talk > Chiwaukum Creek Fire 7/15/14
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
More Cowbell
Warrior Princess

More Cowbell
Warrior Princess
PostTue Jul 15, 2014 5:12 pm 
Firefighters have been sent to a new fire burning in the Chiwaukum Creek drainage of the Wenatchee River Ranger District. The 50-acre fire is burning in heavy brush and timber, located about three miles south of Coles Corner. Two fire crews are responding, and additional firefighters and air support have been ordered. The fire is burning up a ridge in extremely steep terrain. Smoke from the fire is visible from Leavenworth and Wenatchee.

“If you want to forget all your other troubles, wear too tight shoes.” - Unknown
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
More Cowbell
Warrior Princess

More Cowbell
Warrior Princess
PostTue Jul 15, 2014 5:31 pm 
From Chelan County Emergency Management:
Quote:
It looks like it is possible Chiwaukum Creek will be going to a Level 3, but neither what I have on Coulter or Chiwaukum is totally official...they are still enroute to do some looking and deciding.
This looks to be moving fast. hairy.gif The Chiwaukum Creek area is one of my favorite places to go for flowers.

“If you want to forget all your other troubles, wear too tight shoes.” - Unknown
More Cowbell
Warrior Princess

More Cowbell
Warrior Princess
PostTue Jul 15, 2014 6:42 pm 
Latest info: Level 2 Evacuations are being discussed from Chiwaukum Estates down as far as Tumwater Campground....Level 2 Evacs along US 2. They are doing evac notifications from Tumwater Campground up towards the Winton Mill. Coulter Creek is going to Level 3 notifications.....

chiwakum
not credible

chiwakum
not credible
PostTue Jul 15, 2014 7:57 pm 
Damn frown.gif

wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostTue Jul 15, 2014 8:01 pm 
I could see smoke to the West of Wenatchee, a lot of smoke and Wenatchee was blue skies with a few clouds and minimal smoke from the Entiat fire so I expected it to be something new. The whole area is smoke filled again.

Living in the Anthropocene
RichP

RichP
PostTue Jul 15, 2014 9:16 pm 
I guess my hike tomorrow will be smokey. frown.gif

Nancyann

Nancyann
PostTue Jul 15, 2014 9:30 pm 
This is VERY upsetting. We were just there a few weeks ago and as usual the Chiwaukum was spectacular with an amazing volume of water and the giant old growth Ponderosa Pines magnificent. Just signed up for the High Camp work party too which is in a couple of weeks. frown.gif

More Cowbell
Warrior Princess

More Cowbell
Warrior Princess
PostWed Jul 16, 2014 7:16 am 
Lastest from this morning (or you can follow on FB) From - Chelan County Emergency Management (on Facebook) Chiwaukum Creek Fire Grows Release Date: Jul 15, 2014 The Chiwaukum Creek Fire was reported by an aerial observer earlier Tuesday and grew from 1/10th of an acre to 200-500 acres. Exact acreage is hard to determine because of the very smoky conditions. The fire is located approximately three miles south of the Coles Corner area near Lake Wenatchee, and approximately ten miles north of Leavenworth. The Chiwaukum Creek fire management is transitioning from the Wenatchee River Ranger District to a new Operational Division of the Mills Canyon Fire Complex. Current fire resources include: two helicopters, 3 hotshot crews, and 2-20 person fire crews. The Chiwaukum Creek Fire is actively burning upslope from the valley floor to ridge top. It is burning in heavy fuels (brush and timber) with the potential for a high rate of spread. Spotting was reported up to a mile from the fire head. Trails #1584 and 1571 are being swept by Wenatchee River Ranger District trail crews and also the Gill Creek, Lake Ethel, Lake Julius, Loch Eileen and Lake Donald areas. Red flag warnings tomorrow (7/16/14) are for winds pushing to the east. Evacuation notices issued by Chelan County in conjunction with the FS include: Level 3 -- Chiwaukum Creek Drainage Level 3 -- Coulter Creek Level 2 -- Tumwater Campground Evacuation Levels defined: Level 1 evacuations are an alert. Residents should be aware of the danger that exists, and monitor local media outlets for information. Residents with special needs, or those with pets or livestock, should take note and make preparations for relocating family members, pets, and livestock. Level 2 evacuations indicate there is a significant risk to your area, and residents should either voluntarily relocate to a shelter or with family/friends outside of the area, or, be ready to leave at a moments notice. Level 3 means danger is currently affecting your area or is imminent, and you should leave immediately. Smoke is visible from the Leavenworth, Lake Wenatchee and Cashmere areas. The Cause is not determined. For additional fire information, please call at 509.888.5160. To report a wildfire, please call 911 or 1-800-258-5990.

More Cowbell
Warrior Princess

More Cowbell
Warrior Princess
PostWed Jul 16, 2014 10:02 am 
This is not going well. frown.gif
Quote:
CHIWAUKUM CREEK UPDATE Chiwaukum Estates is being added to the LEVEL 3 The north side of US 2 from Hatchery Creek to Nason Creek LEVEL 2 Beaver Valley Rd. (I'm not sure that it is all of it), Ponderosa Estates and Plain will be going to a LEVEL 1 Nason Creek Rest Area is LEVEL 1

Jaberwock

Jaberwock
PostWed Jul 16, 2014 10:26 am 
No ponderosa pine forests without fire. Gotta have fire to have the forests. Still fun to watch it move around though...

Tomlike

Tomlike
PostWed Jul 16, 2014 11:06 am 
apparently this fire is not aware that some of us have a Core Enchantment Permit next week... rant.gif

JimK

JimK
PostWed Jul 16, 2014 11:08 am 
The fire looks to be about 1.5 miles east of Scottish Lakes High Camp.

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostWed Jul 16, 2014 11:42 am 
Tomlike wrote:
apparently this fire is not aware that some of us have a Core Enchantment Permit next week... rant.gif
Bummer. That happened a couple years ago too. This week I'm heading with a group to do a loop around the east side of Daniel starting from Hyas Lake. We'll be fine but I'm expecting smoky/hazy skies.

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?
PostWed Jul 16, 2014 11:55 am 
Given the weather forecast for this weekend I was planning to head to the Chiwaukums as it's about the driest place with lakes that's easy striking distance from Seattle.

John Morrow

John Morrow
PostWed Jul 16, 2014 1:09 pm 
I am sure you are aware of this, Tomlike, but for others this fire needs to jump a few drainages before they consider shutting down Icicle Trailheads. That is unless it is moving so rapidly that direction and I am out of the news loop.

“Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?”-Mary Oliver “A nation that continues year after year to spend more money on military defense than on programs of social uplift is approaching spiritual doom.” ― MLK Jr.