Forum Index > Trip Reports > No. Cascades Adventure Reprise & Farewell 07/12-13/2014
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Sadie's Driver
Sadie's Driver

Sadie's Driver
Sadie's Driver
PostFri Jul 18, 2014 8:19 pm 
I wasn’t planning to do a trip report, because my part of this trip isn’t high adventure. Matt, however, convinced me that it should be a trip report nonetheless, and that some people might want to know about a lake trip – so here it is. When you get to the end of the trip report part, you may want to stop reading, because it will be a hanky box full. The trip was a birthday trip for Gus. His 11th birthday, in fact. The destination was Lightning Creek on Ross Lake, with a side trip to Desolation Lookout (Matt will be posting that part of the trip). To do this trip, you have two options: (1) walk about 15 miles along the lakeshore (there is a trailhead about 6 – 7 miles east of Colonial Creek Campground on Hwy 20); or, (2) take the shuttle that the Ross Lake Resort provides. If you pick option 2, there is a parking lot on Hwy 20 about 4 – 5 miles east of Colonial Creek Campground. You have to walk down about a mile and a 450’ descent to the lake (remember that, because if you come back that same way, you have to go back up it with all of the crap you hauled in – not as much fun!). You can avoid the hike down/up with the City Light ferry (another $10 for the ferry and $4 for the shuttle to the ferry). To reserve space, you call the Ross Lake Resort. Unless you are lucky enough to get on a boat that has space, the cost is $105 each way. There are 6 spaces on the shuttle (and room for gear and dogs) – so make sure to have a few friends with you to split the cost. It’s $35/roundtrip if you have a full shuttle. A pleasant boat ride of about 30 minutes.
View from the shuttle looking back towards Pyramid
View from the shuttle looking back towards Pyramid
There are other stops along the lake, but our destination was Lightning Creek. It has six campsites (including a “group” campsite) and there are nice, level tent squares, fire pits and picnic tables. There’s also a couple of outhouses. Convenient. All of the lakeshore campgrounds seem to be similarly equipped – and, there is a horse/stock campground, too. You can explore along the lakeshore or up Lightning Creek trail if you don’t choose to do the Desolation Lookout trip – plenty of places to wander. Now why this location for a birthday party? Well, you see, this was Gus’ first overnight trip in 2008 Desolation Adventure 2008. He had never done a camping trip before, so it was a whole new experience for him – even though he was almost 5 years old at the time. (BTW on that particular trip, we did do Desolation Peak in about 98 degree heat! Never again.) All was going well, until about 2:00 a.m. when he woke up, freaked out, and wondered what the heck he was doing in this cocoon! He almost trampled me trying to get out and managed to knock over the tent in the process. It was quite a commotion! After things settled down, this would end up being only the first of many backpacking trips to come for Mr. Gus – and he loved to camp out – particularly if it was by a lake. So, it seemed only appropriate that his first trip should be his last trip, too. Time was running short for Gus. Diagnosed in late April with the same virulent cancer (hemangiosarcoma) that took Sadie the Golden Retriever (hence the name Sadie’s Driver), I knew there wasn’t much time. Goldens are prone to this – but I thought I would have Gus much, much longer. He was so strong, so buff, and such a big goofball. So, several of Gus’ two-legged friends and his little buddy Izzy the 4-legged friend packed up and decided to give him one last fling. And a great party it was – complete with a little swimming.
Barb takes a dip
Barb takes a dip
Not exactly a durable watercraft
Not exactly a durable watercraft
Carla - a real party girl
Carla - a real party girl
But I need to back up a little for the complete story. Gus came to me in 2008 about 9 months after Sadie had died. A wonderful group called Summit Assistance Dogs – a group that provides service dogs for children and adults with physical challenges – knew of Sadie. A friend suggested to them that if they ever got a Golden Retriever who was retired or would not be used as a companion, to think of me. In January of 2008, I got the call. I said I wasn’t ready for another dog in my life yet. But Sarah said, “You have to meet Gusto anyway. He is such a delight and the smartest dog I have ever trained. You could probably use a brief Golden encounter again.” So, up to Anacortes I went – you know where this story is going. When I knocked on the door, this big ol’ goofy looking Golden came loping up to me and wouldn’t leave my side. I sat down, he sat as close as he could with his head in my lap and his paw draped over my arm. Yup, I came back to Seattle with Gusto – or Gus. That was only the start. You see, we were two lost souls who found each other. I, missing Sadie deeply. And he, missing Marie. This is a part of the story you may not know about Gus. He had another life before we met and he was quite the star.
Gus in his early life
Gus in his early life
Gus became Marie’s legs and avid helper. When Marie died, Summit decided to take him out of service because of the hard work he had done for about two and a half years. He was ready for retirement. But retiring he was not. Oh no. He became the Benjamin Button of dogs. Puppyhood would be his. He knew I was a soft touch – so it wasn’t hard for him to abandon all of that wonderful training and good behavior. He reverted to many of the Golden bad habits . . . . food driven – stealing things when he could.
Matt . . . here I am . . . 
Matt . . .05-12-12 - Near Cabinet Creek
Matt . . . here I am . . . Matt . . .05-12-12 - Near Cabinet Creek
I'll dance for you, Jer!
I'll dance for you, Jer!
Colleen has all three dogs' undivided attention - to Frigid Peak  04-19-14
Colleen has all three dogs' undivided attention - to Frigid Peak 04-19-14
An audience
An audience
A familiar sight when we have a lunch stop! Red Top Lookout 04-17-11
A familiar sight when we have a lunch stop! Red Top Lookout 04-17-11
Feed me!
Feed me!
Gus going to any lengths for a bite of sandwich
Gus going to any lengths for a bite of sandwich
Birthday Burger at Zeke's
Birthday Burger at Zeke's
Where's MY dinner?
Where's MY dinner?
Thief at work!
Thief at work!
Evidence!
Evidence!
Darryl, here I am, here I am . . .
Darryl, here I am, here I am . . .
Really, Jim - You ARE my best friend
Really, Jim - You ARE my best friend
Driver with Gus on Union Peak - Feb. 09
Driver with Gus on Union Peak - Feb. 09
Barb and her beau . . Gus
Barb and her beau . . Gus
I swear he was an Olympic medalist – taking the Silver Medal in Counter Surfing (getting beat out by a much taller Great Dane, I’m sure). My daughters would lament “Mom, he is so spoiled rotten – you aren’t disciplining him.” And they were right. But at least I was consistent – I didn’t discipline them much either!
Who is this? Gus would NEVER get on the furniture!
Who is this? Gus would NEVER get on the furniture!
Initially, Gus may have regretted his new home with me. He had never experienced snowshoe trips and hikes of 15 and 16 miles and thousands of feet of elevation gain. His first snowshoe trip was pure joy – with pounds of heavy snowballs hanging off of him and weighing him down – but that boundless energy carried him. I soon learned to get his coat trimmed for summer AND winter activities. On another trip – to Jolly – on our return, every time we would stop, he would flop down to rest. This was more work than he had bargained for! That passed quickly. Soon he was running up and down the trail, doing three times the miles and elevation we did.
No comment needed! Rattlesnake Ridge
No comment needed! Rattlesnake Ridge
Gus' first hike with the Driver - he was sooo happy being in snow.
Gus' first hike with the Driver - he was sooo happy being in snow.
Someone's into it!
Someone's into it!
Gus and Driver on summit of Miller with Adams and Rainier behind 06-14-08
Gus and Driver on summit of Miller with Adams and Rainier behind 06-14-08
Driver and Gus (David horning in) on Fortune Peak - 07-27-08
Driver and Gus (David horning in) on Fortune Peak - 07-27-08
Trailhead to Stormy
Trailhead to Stormy
Everyone's ready to go! Thunder Lakes Aug. 2008
Everyone's ready to go! Thunder Lakes Aug. 2008
Hiking dog
Hiking dog
Snack break - Gus hopeful - Rattlesnake Traverse 01-04-09
Snack break - Gus hopeful - Rattlesnake Traverse 01-04-09
Are we having fun?
Are we having fun?
Driver and Gus on summit of Lichtenberg Feb. 2008 - Gus' first true summit - there would be many, many more
Driver and Gus on summit of Lichtenberg Feb. 2008 - Gus' first true summit - there would be many, many more
Driver and Gus on Silver Queen with the Big R holding court behind
Driver and Gus on Silver Queen with the Big R holding court behind
Lots of mountains yet to climb; 09-13-09
1 label
Lots of mountains yet to climb; 09-13-09
Driver and Gus on Dirty Harry - Dec. 27, 2009
Driver and Gus on Dirty Harry - Dec. 27, 2009
The mighty Retriever
The mighty Retriever
Matt and Jasper on summit - Barb and Gus on the way
Matt and Jasper on summit - Barb and Gus on the way
Driver and Gus with Baker behind on summit of Oakes 02-05-10
Driver and Gus with Baker behind on summit of Oakes 02-05-10
Glorious scenery near Artist's Point - Mt. Shuksan behind. President's weekend 2010
Glorious scenery near Artist's Point - Mt. Shuksan behind. President's weekend 2010
Gus guarding Lake Ann
Gus guarding Lake Ann
Driver and Gus on the summit of Bedal with Sloan behind 04-17-10
Driver and Gus on the summit of Bedal with Sloan behind 04-17-10
Driver and Gus on top of Mt. Aix
Driver and Gus on top of Mt. Aix
On top of the pyramid - Eastern Washington above the Columbia - 25 Feb. 2013
On top of the pyramid - Eastern Washington above the Columbia - 25 Feb. 2013
Near the summit of Pratt with Kaleetan, Chair, Bryant, etc. in the background - Feb. 10, 2013
Near the summit of Pratt with Kaleetan, Chair, Bryant, etc. in the background - Feb. 10, 2013
Group shot on High Chair with Mt. Stuart peeking through the middle!
Group shot on High Chair with Mt. Stuart peeking through the middle!
Birthday boy and Driver on Surprise Mtn.
Birthday boy and Driver on Surprise Mtn.
Driver and Gus celebrating the birthday hike one more year on Mailbox Peak 10-31-11
Driver and Gus celebrating the birthday hike one more year on Mailbox Peak 10-31-11
Summit shot - with Glacier Peak behind on Arrowhead 01-18-14
Summit shot - with Glacier Peak behind on Arrowhead 01-18-14
Hey you guys, what's taking so long? South Ingalls - Sept. 2010
Hey you guys, what's taking so long? South Ingalls - Sept. 2010
And, he was a singer! Gus really didn’t bark that much – unless you had a stick or ball in your hand. But boy he would talk and sing to you!
Gus singing for his supper
Gus singing for his supper
Rocky Mountain High
Rocky Mountain High
Gus singing to us
Gus singing to us
Let's get going - Gus singing to us
Let's get going - Gus singing to us
Gus singing to us to get going up Black Peak
Gus singing to us to get going up Black Peak
In the mornings, he especially liked to sing to me (at 5:00 a.m.) to get me up for his breakfast! And when he was really happy, he would moan – especially if you were petting him or rubbing his belly. Retriever is definitely what he was. Stick? Ball? Those were key words. And, he would dance backwards for you to throw the darn thing – patience was not one of his virtues.
Stick?  Throw the stick!
Stick? Throw the stick!
Stick?
Stick?
A dog possessed
A dog possessed
A stick, a lake, it doesn't get any better than this!
A stick, a lake, it doesn't get any better than this!
Come on, Gus - - - -  Come play with us!
Come on, Gus - - - - Come play with us!
Yipee
Yipee
The best stick on the beach!
The best stick on the beach!
I've got a stick . . . want to play?
I've got a stick . . . want to play?
Chillin' - He is so good at that. 06-13-09
Chillin' - He is so good at that. 06-13-09
Stick time - snow or a lake. wet is wet! 08-09-08
Stick time - snow or a lake. wet is wet! 08-09-08
Oddly, he loved to play – but, he really didn’t know how to play – at least not with other dogs, because he was a working dog. He could retrieve, but other dogs didn’t interest him so much – except for Izzy. He could get her into a game of take-away-the-stick and then he would come to me because he didn’t think she played fair.
Let's get this party rollin'!
Let's get this party rollin'!
Gus fearing for his life with the Luis the Chihuahua 01-18-09
Gus fearing for his life with the Luis the Chihuahua 01-18-09
Gus and Izzy after one of many hikes
Gus and Izzy after one of many hikes
His training mostly taught him to ignore other dogs – which he generally did. Except Jasper. It was only one half of the love-hate relationship for the two of them – and you can imagine which half that was. They eventually would achieve a détente for the sake of a hike.
Natapoc Peak with Tom and Jasper 03-03-14
Natapoc Peak with Tom and Jasper 03-03-14
Tom keeping peace with the boys
Tom keeping peace with the boys
And then there was the porcupine he decided to visit on a trip up Smithbrook only to wind up with a snoot full of quills . . . Gus soon came to appreciate my dislike for Smithbrook. A swimmer he was. Didn’t matter the amount or the temperature of the water. In fact, muddy mud puddles were a particular delight. That was his passion.
Swimming with icebergs in Goat Lake Labor Day 2008
Swimming with icebergs in Goat Lake Labor Day 2008
No hesitation even tho it's freezing - Mt. Washington Nov. 9, 2008
No hesitation even tho it's freezing - Mt. Washington Nov. 9, 2008
Got it!
Got it!
The dork dog waiting for someone to throw him a stick
The dork dog waiting for someone to throw him a stick
What?  Of course I'm standing in the water with ice all around me!
What? Of course I'm standing in the water with ice all around me!
Shake-shake-shake
Shake-shake-shake
He always had a good time . . . and grabbed breaks when he could.
Frosty the Snow Dog
Frosty the Snow Dog
What?
What?
Are we having fun?
Are we having fun?
Dog tired after his first snowshoe trip
Dog tired after his first snowshoe trip
Happy puppy on cool snow - Gus chillin' July 2010 on Poe Peak
Happy puppy on cool snow - Gus chillin' July 2010 on Poe Peak
Give a dog a break . . . Switchback Peak.
Give a dog a break . . . Switchback Peak.
Deep in thought on top of Switchback 07-08-12
Deep in thought on top of Switchback 07-08-12
And there were the times that it was just the two of us.
A selfie
A selfie
Gus on Castlerock above his new home in Wenatchee
Gus on Castlerock above his new home in Wenatchee
Gus and Driver on Humpback Sept. 1, 2012
Gus and Driver on Humpback Sept. 1, 2012
Sadly, Gus didn’t quite make it to his 11th birthday. He decided to go find Sadie and see if they could head out for some sandwich-stealing adventures together. I will find a nice alpine lake for his final hike. Thank you Lyndsay, this is the Gus I will always remember – happy, eager-to-please, and just an all-around doofus with the biggest heart imaginable.
Gusto 
July 15, 2003 - July 14, 2014
Gusto July 15, 2003 - July 14, 2014
Happy Trails, bubba.

Four-paw buddy lets me tag along!
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
the Zachster

the Zachster
PostFri Jul 18, 2014 8:39 pm 
Oh Suzanne, my heart aches for your loss. Your report/tribute is beautiful and tells the joyful story of a happy dog and his lucky owner. Such adventures...he had doggy heaven here on earth! I'm sure he's leading Zach and Timber on some fabulous adventures as we speak. Hugs from Cedar, Mark and I. frown.gif

"May I always be the kind of person my dog thinks I am"
resilient

resilient
PostFri Jul 18, 2014 8:48 pm 
I am so sorry. I have read about about Sadie and met Gus in person... I am so sad right now................

phlash

phlash
PostFri Jul 18, 2014 9:30 pm 
If there is such a thing as dog heaven Gusto is trekking his way there now. To have known Gus was to like him. I liked him.

Middle E
no more moustache

Middle E
no more moustache
PostFri Jul 18, 2014 9:32 pm 
Humpback Mtn, Dec. 2011 - my first trip with Gus without the Driver. Fortunately, we were able to wash off the blood before returning him wink.gif R.I.P. my friend…I'll always remember you.
Summit shot with Gus
Summit shot with Gus

pithy yet insightful signature
mbravenboer

mbravenboer
PostFri Jul 18, 2014 11:19 pm 
Oh no! I have never met you nor Gus, but I did really love this dog already just from the photos and reports! Glad he had such a wonderful life.

kite

kite
PostSat Jul 19, 2014 7:09 am 
Oh No, I am so very sorry! I have enjoyed all of the wonderful trip reports that Gus has taken part in, he was a very lucky dog.

Stella

Stella
PostSat Jul 19, 2014 7:29 am 
Words seem insufficient at a time like this. I am so sorry to hear of his passing. Gus was such a big-hearted, beautiful dog. The two of you wrote a great second chapter in his life.

yukon222

yukon222
PostSat Jul 19, 2014 8:55 am 
I am so sorry you weren't able to enjoy even more time with Gus. But wow, what a set of adventures the two of you had! And you have so many wonderful pictures to always look back upon and laugh, smile and cry. You gave him a spectacular life and you both deserved the love you gave each other.
DSD_9200 - Perfect Pair
DSD_9200 - Perfect Pair
I was able to go on a couple of hikes with Gus. He was always on the go, whether running on ahead, splashing in the water, looking for sticks to chew or even better a treat or two!
DSD_8842 - Johnson summit
DSD_8842 - Johnson summit
DSD_9182 - Always a handful
DSD_9182 - Always a handful
DSD_9201 - Quite the Singer!
DSD_9201 - Quite the Singer!
DSD_9208 - Happy Hound
DSD_9208 - Happy Hound
DSD_9216 - Only eyes for One
DSD_9216 - Only eyes for One
DSE_0475 - Boundless Energy
DSE_0475 - Boundless Energy
DSE_0477 - Eager
DSE_0477 - Eager
DSE_4190 - On the Rocks
DSE_4190 - On the Rocks
DSE_4208 - No stick too large
DSE_4208 - No stick too large
DSE_4253 - Gus showing Row how it's done!
DSE_4253 - Gus showing Row how it's done!
DSE_4255 - "Let go and I'll throw it again!"
DSE_4255 - "Let go and I'll throw it again!"
DSE_4314 - Happy with a Stick
DSE_4314 - Happy with a Stick
DSF_9928 - "Quit standing around, let's go!"
DSF_9928 - "Quit standing around, let's go!"
DSF_9932 - Always Ready
DSF_9932 - Always Ready
DSF_9939 - A Treat
DSF_9939 - A Treat
I don't know why we can't have more time with those who are special and make the world better. Time is always too short.
DSE_4276 - Goodbye, Gus
DSE_4276 - Goodbye, Gus

Type E

Type E
PostSat Jul 19, 2014 10:40 am 
Many great memories I'm sure, losing my climbing buddies never gets any easier. There is such a bond between an owner and their beloved companions. I'm so very sorry for your loss . E

BarbE

BarbE
PostSat Jul 19, 2014 11:22 am 
Sadie's Driver wrote:
Evidence!
Evidence!
On the drive to the Paddy go Easy's trailhead, Gus remembered his training as a service dog and skillfully opened the plastic container holding the chocolate cake that was going to be our summit treat. Only thing left was an empty, yet closed container and the green frosting on Gus's face hihi.gif I'll miss you Gus! May you be where you'll enjoy all the cake and roaming and swimming your heart desires! wub.gif a few more pics
Gus the canine on K9
Gus the canine on K9
Gus once again retrieves Suzanne's camera
Gus once again retrieves Suzanne's camera
what's for lunch? this is wrong!
what's for lunch? this is wrong!
gentle! ::)
gentle! smile.gif
Opus feeding strawberry shortcake to a "golden" retriever
Opus feeding strawberry shortcake to a "golden" retriever
one last swim
one last swim
one last birthday
one last birthday
Birthday party for Gus at Lightning Creek camp
Birthday party for Gus at Lightning Creek camp

Sadie's Driver
Sadie's Driver

Sadie's Driver
Sadie's Driver
PostSat Jul 19, 2014 11:33 am 
How special, Steve and Barb. Thank you. He was indeed quite the personality! He loved his friends - and especially their treats!

Four-paw buddy lets me tag along!
iron

iron
PostSat Jul 19, 2014 11:50 am 
a well lived life.

raising3hikers

raising3hikers
PostSat Jul 19, 2014 2:32 pm 
thanks for sharing your memories up.gif

Eric Eames
gb

gb
PostSat Jul 19, 2014 3:19 pm 
A really great tribute. As you know you also made his life so much better. Sorry, for your loss. Though I've never personally had a Golden Retriever I've done many hikes and skis with several of them. They are such wonderful dogs.