Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?
PostWed Jul 23, 2014 11:32 pm 
Ski wrote:
law enforcement can continue to play whack-a-mole until hell freezes over, but as long as "legal" price is more than street price, there will continue to be a thriving underground market.
This *and* convenience factor. Been a long time since I was a regular smoker, but back in the day our supplier was right in our neighborhood. Why would I pay more and take the time to drive to some inconvenient location when I can go a couple blocks and get it cheaper? The legal system seems designed to fail to me. I was never in favor of legalization, but always in favor of decriminalization. Of course the latter was never an option 'cause then the gubmint would get no cut at all.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostThu Jul 24, 2014 6:41 am 
The article was more about the effects of haphazard growing on the environment and the people's inability to move around. Now, had it been an article about logging or flagging, or rolling rocks, this thread would be full of condemnation. But of course, pot farms have no environmental consequences shakehead.gif They're probably organic farmers, right? Water use is not affected by little growers, right? Unlimited taking of water won't affect anything, right? What if I decided to siphon water out of a creek without having water rights or doing any enviro studies during a serious drought so I could raise a few cows? Would that be different?

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostThu Jul 24, 2014 7:16 am 
Yup, that legally grown pot is that it will be more environmentally friendly should have legs with a significant number of WA purchasers. OTOH, lots of street pot is grown in environmentally responsible basement micro hot houses.

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostThu Jul 24, 2014 7:27 am 
I would need to be jonesing pretty bad in order to buy from a retail weed store...prob not going to happen. Still, I am happy that's it's been legalized at the state level, hopefully Federal legalization will soon follow.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?
PostThu Jul 24, 2014 10:15 am 
The best weed you can buy, and the majority of what's available around here is basement bud - grown indoors under highly controlled conditions. There is a huge quality difference between that and even the best outdoor weed.

boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker

boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker
PostThu Jul 24, 2014 10:40 am 
Bedivere wrote:
The best weed you can buy, and the majority of what's available around here is basement bud - grown indoors under highly controlled conditions. There is a huge quality difference between that and even the best outdoor weed.
I live a couple of blocks away from a major hydroponics store. I was always impressed there was enough interest in growing hot house tomatoes to sustain the business. clown.gif Its all pretty much academic for me these days, but I find it interesting and totally agreed we should not be wasting police resources on pot. I can only speak for my uptight town of Kirkland. I notice they are taking a number of ploys to keep legal pot down. Mainly by not allowing the stores to be located anywhere in the city limits by process of elimination. Funny part of that is that since I live on the arse end of Kirkland, I am more likely to have legal stores nearby than anywhere else in Kirkland...unfortunately we also get the prison in our neighborhood. Also another less local ploy to keep the businesses from happening, besides taxing it to death, is that banks don't want to give any credit to pot businesses, based on the fact that its still technically illegal on the federal level. Remember "revenooers"?....Not just the updated version manning traffic traps. Illegal stills were/are available as a way to work around pricey and heavily taxed hard liguor. In theory people would just set those up and not buy the overpriced stuff. I think you will always find a number of people willing to pay a high price for avoiding the legal issues, and tracking down the illegal guy down the street....I certainly wouldn't know where to find the neighborhood grower, even though its obviously widespread enough locally to sustain an equipment business. I remember when it was $10 an ounce. Albeit not bud.... Meh, too rich for my blood. Just don't want it bad enough I suppose. peace.gif

friluftsliv
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostThu Jul 24, 2014 10:45 am 
So indoor grows require no water? shakehead.gif No problem with indoor growing during a drought?

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
Navy salad

Navy salad
PostThu Jul 24, 2014 11:38 am 
I think the state is caught in a kind of Catch 22:
  • if the supply increases and the price is at or below black market prices, then it will tend to cross state lines and the Feds will get pissed;
  • if the supply stays low and prices high, then the black market will flourish.
Seems to me the only way out of the "catch" is to legalize nationwide.

boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker

boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker
PostThu Jul 24, 2014 11:54 am 
treeswarper wrote:
So indoor grows require no water? shakehead.gif No problem with indoor growing during a drought?
Flushing your toilet requires water. Much of our food comes from irrigated desert...which by the way results in a non-sustainable build up of salts. growing trees to build crap takes water. People, have impact. No shite. what IS your point? rolleyes.gif

friluftsliv
coldrain108
Thundering Herd

coldrain108
Thundering Herd
PostThu Jul 24, 2014 12:29 pm 
Bedivere wrote:
Been a long time since I was a regular smoker, but back in the day our supplier was right in our neighborhood.
and would willingly sell it to your 13 year old kid. That is what illegal pot gets you. When I was younger, pot was the go to drug because getting booze required an ID...

Since I have no expectations of forgiveness, I don't do it in the first place. That loop hole needs to be closed to everyone.
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostThu Jul 24, 2014 1:14 pm 
boot up wrote:
treeswarper wrote:
Flushing your toilet requires water. Much of our food comes from irrigated desert...which by the way results in a non-sustainable build up of salts. growing trees to build crap takes water. People, have impact. No shite. what IS your point? rolleyes.gif
prod.gif ,<<<this

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
wheatie

wheatie
PostThu Jul 24, 2014 1:56 pm 
coldrain108 wrote:
Bedivere wrote:
Been a long time since I was a regular smoker, but back in the day our supplier was right in our neighborhood.
and would willingly sell it to your 13 year old kid. That is what illegal pot gets you. When I was younger, pot was the go to drug because getting booze required an ID...
My experience with pot "dealers" (admittedly a long time ago) was that they absolutely would not sell to your 13 year old kid. Obviously, 13 year old kids get pot somehow, so some do, but in my pot smoking days (roughly age 18-24) the few times I actually bought it, the "dealers" were pretty selective. Mostly it was someone known in my circle of friends, and they weren't some losers trying to hook users like DARE teaches. Just my experience....

boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker

boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker
PostThu Jul 24, 2014 2:00 pm 
wheatie wrote:
coldrain108 wrote:
Bedivere wrote:
My experience with pot "dealers" (admittedly a long time ago) was that they absolutely would not sell to your 13 year old kid. Obviously, 13 year old kids get pot somehow, so some do, but in my pot smoking days (roughly age 18-24) the few times I actually bought it, the "dealers" were pretty selective. Mostly it was someone known in my circle of friends, and they weren't some losers trying to hook users like DARE teaches. Just my experience....
yah, that's right. Dealers wouldn't consider selling to a blabbermouth 13 year old that might turn them in, in a moment of weakness. That made business sense. I had to go through my older sisters to get pot when I was 13. wink.gif

friluftsliv
cairn builder

cairn builder
PostThu Jul 24, 2014 8:27 pm 
No one I've ever bought smoke from would ever sell to a kid. They don't want to get busted, kids have bad judgment and talk a lot.

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?
PostThu Jul 24, 2014 9:57 pm 
coldrain108 wrote:
When I was younger, pot was the go to drug because getting booze required an ID...
Or being on good terms with the neighborhood alcoholic.