Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Anyone been to Burning Man?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
ragman and rodman

ragman and rodman
PostSun Jul 27, 2014 10:40 am 
I've been doing some research on attending this event in 2015... and I'm curious if you would be willing to share some of your thoughts and/or experiences about your burner adventure. Thanks.

"Teanaway 70" Peaks List... a guide to hiking and scrambling in the Teanaway Area. ----------------
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostSun Jul 27, 2014 10:45 am 
only second hand stuff from my buddy's two kids, who've each gone on separate occasions: the playa dust gets into everything and doesn't wash out of tents. take ski goggles and face mask or handkerchiefs take LOTS of water

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostSun Jul 27, 2014 3:10 pm 
PM sent. I have been a number of times and will share what information I can with you. ~z

Gray
Lazy Hiker

Gray
Lazy Hiker
PostMon Jul 28, 2014 10:21 am 
I've been three times, back in the early 2000s. - go with an open mind. - don't really worry about reading up to much about it and "spoiling" it... once you get there you'll be blown away, no matter how much you've read - camping solo/small group is a bit different from camping with a Theme Camp. I've only done it with an established theme camp, so not a lot of input on the other style. With an established camp, a lot of the problems have already found solutions (i.e. every year our grey water disposal and shower plan was more elaborate, and better) - yes, dust will get everywhere. It's not sand. It's basically the consistency of talcum powder. Any tent you take will smell like playa for the rest of it's life. It's ok; if you are like us, you learn to love the scent of playa dust. - lots of water. Drink a lot. Piss clear. - NEVER leave camp unprepared. Have a small backpack, or vest, or something with a "survival kit": water, sunglasses, goggles, bandanna, filter mask or better yet, a gas mask (Being able to walk around in a bad duststorm, completely immune to the dust is worth the price of admission). Always take this pack, even if it's just a quick run to the honeypots (you never, ever know who you will run in to, or what random adventure will make it so you don't get back to your camp for several hours). - take 2 pairs of socks per day. Each pair in it's own sealed ziplock. Having a fresh clean pair is just heaven. - don't worry about money while there (hell, getting there and planning is enough), the only things you can buy there is ice from Camp Arctica, and coffee drinks from Centre Camp, and, of course, "substances". - Get there as early as you can. I've found the early week is the prime time.. less people, and those that are there are there for the duration, and tend to be BM veterans. The closer you get to the weekend/burn, the more weekenders just there to party you get. - Leave as late as you can. The Exodus can be excruciating. If you can hang out til Tuesday or Wednesday, do it. Either that or be packed up and ready, and bail immediately after The Man burns (still will be stuck in traffic for a few hours at least). - Go see the Man burn, even with the crowds. It's worth it every time. Go early and stake out a good view. - Even more important than that, go see the Temple burn. Way less of a party, more quiet/introspective. - You won't see everything. - You won't see even a big chunk of everything. - If something breaks, and it's not a bike, stop by Black Rock City Hardware, usually somewhere near/on the Center Camp ring. Tell 'em Gray sent ya, and sign the Book of Souls. If you have any specific questions/concerns drop me a PM smile.gif --Gray

ragman and rodman

ragman and rodman
PostTue Jul 29, 2014 7:45 pm 
Ski, zephyr and Gray... thanks for your valuable input on this topic.

"Teanaway 70" Peaks List... a guide to hiking and scrambling in the Teanaway Area. ----------------