Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?
PostWed Jul 30, 2014 2:27 pm 
whitebark wrote:
If you are short on money, snoop around drug stores like Bartell's for the latest batch of water shoes shipped in from China. Some are lightweight, and they don't cost very much.
I have a pair of super light shoes that are made from some kind of closed-cell foam material. They fit like a shoe, don't absorb any water, weigh very little, and I got them at Big 5 on clearance for $15 about three or four years ago. They don't fit well enough that I'd want to hike in them, but they're just fine for around camp and stream crossings.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
iron

iron
PostWed Jul 30, 2014 2:31 pm 
BigSteve wrote:
i bought a pair of these based on bigsteve's recommendation. they're pretty light, but more annoying to put on than crocs. i question how long they'll be durable. using the insole is almost a must with them as they're very thin. i used to like my knockoff crocs from walgreens/rite aid, but they no longer carry them likely due to crocs lawsuit. i could walk on the trail for miles and miles with those. eventually they'd wear thin and get holes under the forefoot. i've never worn real crocs, but they're much heavier so you might as well wear trailrunners at that point.

DestinationUp
Gearluster

DestinationUp
Gearluster
PostWed Jul 30, 2014 2:31 pm 
BigSteve wrote:
up.gif up.gif up.gif I love mine. My orthotics fit well inside, or I just slap them on for around camp. Wouldn't hike without them.

Geek, wife, mom, Venturing Crew Advisor, perennially waiting for meltout.
wolffie

wolffie
PostWed Jul 30, 2014 2:34 pm 
FedEx bags with rubber bands.

Some people have better things to do with their lives than walking the dog. Some don't.
mike

mike
PostWed Jul 30, 2014 3:10 pm 
I would add to the OP list of requirements: -easy to slip on-off in the dark for nighttime excursions from the tent. -soles that have a little traction but don't hold dirt Whatever the benefits, BS, those Ultras fail to meet OP's requirements (and mine) on a number of points. A big fail for me is the fact that it would appear to be difficult to keep dry feet around camp in any but ideal conditions.

pula58

pula58
PostThu Jul 31, 2014 9:48 am 
mike wrote:
-easy to slip on-off in the dark for nighttime excursions from the tent.
Yes, that would be good for the midnight pee.

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostThu Jul 31, 2014 9:57 am 
Tom wrote:
Steve, do you know what the difference between the ultra and ultra pure models are?
Ultra Pure lacks the neoprene sock. They slip on easily for me. Elastic laces is the key. ETA: Why does a guy in a MegaMid go outside to pee?
mike wrote:
A big fail for me is the fact that it would appear to be difficult to keep dry feet around camp in any but ideal conditions.
The Ultra model has a neoprene sock, keeps your foot way drier than running shoes. Or you can use the Pure with plastic bags. IME, uberbulky Crocs are just as bad as the Pures. Wet running shoes take too long to dry out. As I said above, my camp shoe selection depends on whether we anticipate stream crossings. We expect none this weekend and will be taking running shoes.

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostThu Jul 31, 2014 11:25 am 
Steve, you mentioned those previously in another thread (a year ago?). Where did you get them? I went over to REI to see if they had them (or anything comparable) - they didn't carry that brand - they had five or six other brands kinda-sorta similar - all very pricey and not (in my humble opinion) very durable looking. That had to have been over a year ago, so things may be different now. And you've worn them carrying a pack?

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
DestinationUp
Gearluster

DestinationUp
Gearluster
PostThu Jul 31, 2014 11:30 am 
Ski wrote:
Where did you get them?
Ski, I got mine off of Amazon. I've got the Ultra Pure, in a very loud red, and they were about $40. Different colors seemed to be different prices.

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostThu Jul 31, 2014 11:37 am 
Ski wrote:
Where did you get them?
Barefoot Ted's place across from REI. As DU says, you can find them cheaper on line.
Ski wrote:
And you've worn them carrying a pack?
Yup. A 40 lb. pack. Superfeet insoles inside. Easy soft trail for est. 8 miles one time. As Iron said, there's not much material there -- what is why they are so darn lightweight -- so I would not use them on rocky trail.

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostThu Jul 31, 2014 11:50 am 
so..... hauling my ultra-heavy (50+ pounds... 55? 60?) over a gravel bar would probably not work then, yes? no? (plus me: about 175# or 180#) the ones I looked at didn't appear as though they would put up with that kind of abuse. was trying to find something else... Tevas do not stay on crashing through a fast-moving river (velcro has come undone on me several times, even with no pack)... Chuck Taylor All-Stars take a day and a half to dry out... a pair of wet 13's must weigh about 4 or 5 pounds....

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostThu Jul 31, 2014 11:53 am 
maybe I should drive to Seattle and take a look. all the ones I looked at were over $100. for half that I'd experiment.

mike

mike
PostThu Jul 31, 2014 12:34 pm 
BigSteve wrote:
Ultra model has a neoprene sock, keeps your foot way drier than running shoes. Or you can use the Pure with plastic bags.
Reviews (and common sense) note that the fit with the liner requires a larger size and then the fit w/o is too big. Maybe superfeet and the plastic bag is the way to go. I like the light weight and don't mind thin soles...gotta try 'em on.

DestinationUp
Gearluster

DestinationUp
Gearluster
PostThu Jul 31, 2014 12:40 pm 
mike wrote:
the fit with the liner requires a larger size and then the fit w/o is too big
Maybe so, but I've got custom orthotics, which are thicker than Superfeet. I've had no problem using the Ultra Pures both ways...just a matter of cinching them down when I don't have the orthotics in.

Stefan

Stefan
PostThu Jul 31, 2014 2:33 pm 
I actually have been using the Nike Free 3.0 Why? Well, they are light. And two, if I need or want to walk back to the trailhead on running shoes then I can use them. The sole is light and not ankle supported, so it depends on the weight. The shoe leaves me a flexible option for the trail when I tire of the boots. They will hold the moisture of water longer, however, they do dry quickly.

Art is an adventure.