Forum Index > Food & Grub > 96 Cents
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
DrakeBrimstone

DrakeBrimstone
PostThu Jul 31, 2014 12:08 am 
So, I decided to break down the cost on a Per Bar bases for making my own Energy Bars using the recipe found at This Awesome Site What I found when using Apricots and Walnuts, other fruits would be cheaper but I found Apricots taste the best of everything I've tried, is a total cost of 96 Cents per bar (I cut into 16 bars) . This includes the cost of packaging them individually in Vacuum Sealed bags. (I use the FoodSaver Pint bags cut in half so each bag is good for 2 bars.) I can't find anything Commercially available that comes close to that in price that meets the needs of Backpacking. Has anyone else broken down the price of any of their home made "staple" backpacking foods?

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostFri Aug 01, 2014 11:30 pm 
That is so neat you broke down the cost smile.gif up.gif I figure (for me at least!) that sometimes I do spend more on certain ingredients, but I am worth it. And 96 cents a bar is a bargain compared to commercial bars - because you know what you put into it - and it is real food up.gif

https://trailcooking.com/ Eat well on the trail.
Conrad
Meadow bagger

Conrad
Meadow bagger
PostSat Aug 02, 2014 10:08 am 
You found dried apricots? My Winco is out, long-term (in the bulk section at least) and says there's a collapse in the Turkish supply or something.

DrakeBrimstone

DrakeBrimstone
PostSun Aug 10, 2014 3:39 pm 
Been out on the trail the last week so sorry for the late reply. Yes, Fred Meyers has them last I saw, I didn't even look at the Bulk food section the price I calculated for was for a small package of them. I'm sure if I bought out of bulk bins I'd get it cheaper.