Forum Index > Trip Reports > Cliff BM with Thunderstorm Excitement, 07.14.14
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Bloated Chipmunk
Cock Rock Searcher

Bloated Chipmunk
Cock Rock Searcher
PostSun Aug 03, 2014 9:18 pm 
Cliff BM is the dark, pyramid-shaped mtn. viewed from southbound S-1 just north of the 8. It also looms high above the Buckman Springs area border checkpoint, giving a bird's eye view down to all those patiently waiting in line on the freeway. MM had pointed out this pk. some time ago & was intrigued. So, after some mapsturbating I figured out which one it was & how to approach it. up.gif From the Buckman Springs rest area, continue east up a dirt rd. that angles up the hill....how far you can make it depends on what type of car you have. I drove up a little ways but then it got too humpy so I backtracked to a good pullout & parked.
Where I parked
Where I parked
I began the rd. walk, easily getting winded w/the incline & the warm morning temperature. Possible t-storms were forecasted for later, so I had hoped to beat the worst of it. But for now it was sunny & hot.
Rd. goes up through that gap
Rd. goes up through that gap
It didn't take long before I was spotted by border patrol. paranoid.gif I looked back & saw one of their SUVs slowly creeping up the rd. I expected them to catch up w/me & ask some questions, but it appeared they turned around shortly after passing my car. Later one of their sedans appeared & parked itself closer to the beginning of the dirt rd., perhaps laying in wait for my return.
Horse Canyon
Horse Canyon
View eastish
View eastish
Looking back down @ Buckman Springs area
Looking back down @ Buckman Springs area
1st sight of Cliff BM
1st sight of Cliff BM
I walked up the rd. until it basically ended & gave way to a smaller/older rd. I continued on this as it headed north toward the peak. Just before this troad turned east & dropped a bit in elevation, I left it & bushwhacked up the remainder of the ridge to the peak. There was some remnants of a trail here & there, but o/w I was pushing thru bushes.
Where the trail leaves the rd.
Where the trail leaves the rd.
Some parts of the bushwhack were easy
Some parts of the bushwhack were easy
Looking back @ the rd.
Looking back @ the rd.
Gettin' close now
Gettin' close now
The last bit got a little steeper but was still easy. Atop the summit was the BM & a register.
Summit register
Summit register
Cliff BM
Cliff BM
The latter part of my route
The latter part of my route
I snapped a few summit pics, keeping an eye on the approaching clouds & knowing my time was limited...
Summit pano
5 labels
Summit pano
Summit pano
11 labels
Summit pano
Long Valley Pk. across the freeway
Long Valley Pk. across the freeway
View SW
6 labels
View SW
View south
View south
View SE
View SE
Storm cloud
Storm cloud
View NW
5 labels
View NW
Zoom of border check point below
Zoom of border check point below
The ridge I came up
The ridge I came up
BC atop Cliff BM
BC atop Cliff BM
I left the summit not a moment too soon. A few minutes after coming down, the rumbles began & the rain fell. Aware of being on an exposed ridge, I quickened my pace & focused on getting lower down before worrying about putting on my rain jacket. Meanwhile of course I got soaked. embarassedlaugh.gif When I finally did crouch down to pull it from my pack & put it on, my wet arms just made it all wet inside. D'oh! But thankfully I wore my usual quick-dry pants, & I figured the storm would soon pass & the sun would come back out & dry things out. This was true, but until then I had some lightening bolts & thunder a little too close for comfort. I chided myself for not getting an earlier start, but also remembered that (supposedly) the chances of getting struck by lightening are pretty slim. But then again, I always wonder if they're slim only b/c most people are not outdoors hiking on exposed ridgelines with lightening close by. hmmm.gif
Looking back @ the thundercloud
Looking back @ the thundercloud
Buckman Springs area
Buckman Springs area
By the time I made it back to the main rd., the storm had passed. I removed my rain jacket & carried it in the breeze as I walked. In due time my pants dried out & it was hot again. The border patrol car was still sitting in the same spot below, but no one questioned me upon my return. Perhaps their binoculars & drive-by of my car gave 'em the info they needed. wink.gif
Last look @ thunderclouds to the N/NW
Last look @ thunderclouds to the N/NW

Home is where the hiking is. "Peaks that have come and gone four times should halt a man in his steps." -- William O. Douglas A balanced diet is a margarita in each hand.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostSun Aug 03, 2014 10:23 pm 
nobody else up there in twelve years?!? or maybe they just didn't find the register? or border patrol spooked 'em off?

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Bloated Chipmunk
Cock Rock Searcher

Bloated Chipmunk
Cock Rock Searcher
PostMon Aug 04, 2014 7:28 am 
Oh, that was just when it was placed. I usually don't take a pic of the last entry, but from what I remember it wasn't too long ago (w/in the last yr. or 2). As a side note, a funny thing about the border patrol I've noticed is that when the weather turns bad (or just semi-bad) w/rain or very cold temperatures (like, 30s), the checkpoint closes up shop & you can just whiz right through. So, when I drove out it was closed even though by that point the storm had passed... confused.gif I wonder if the border crossers have figured this out yet, & if stealth activity picks up during bad weather. doh.gif

Home is where the hiking is. "Peaks that have come and gone four times should halt a man in his steps." -- William O. Douglas A balanced diet is a margarita in each hand.