Forum Index > Trip Reports > Bare Mountain and Canoe Peak - 7/14
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
MangyMarmot

MangyMarmot
PostMon Jul 15, 2013 10:10 pm 
An unexpected open Sunday morning. Time to head for the mountains. I chose Bare mountain. This was my first trip to the North Fork Snoqualmie region. The drive out was every bit as long as the warning in my book claimed. The trail to Bare Mountain is in excellent shape. There has clearly been some recent maintenance. It is not overgrown, and no blow-downs. After an initial forest section, most of the trail is on the open hillside. The view from Bare is very good. From the surrounding mountains to the North, East, and South, to the Puget Sound lowlands, Seattle and Bellevue, and the Olympics to the West.
Looking South from Bare
Looking South from Bare
Looking East to Canoe from Bare
Looking East to Canoe from Bare
After a snack, I headed back down the trail to the point where it leaves the ridge. From there I continued down the ridge a little ways, then traversed on to the snow on the North side of the ridge. The snow was fairly easy going, but you had to be a bit careful there you stepped. There were some large voids near rocks. I followed the snow to the low point between Bare Mountain's East Ridge, and Canoe Peak's West Ridge. From there I headed up to the top of Canoe's West Ridge.
Bare from Canoe's West Ridge
Bare from Canoe's West Ridge
Canoe looking up the West Ridge
Canoe looking up the West Ridge
Then I followed the ridge to Canoe. Much of the way is along rock, and there is some bushwhacking through the trees, but nothing dangerous. The view from Canoe is even better than Bare. Peaks in every direction.
Lennox from Canoe
Lennox from Canoe
Bare from Canoe
Bare from Canoe
Looking South from Canoe
6 labels
Looking South from Canoe
Looking South-East from Canoe
Looking South-East from Canoe
I retraced my steps back to the trail and headed to the car. There were very few bugs. Not a problem. I saw 10 people and 2 dogs on the whole trip. All of them on the trail down from Bare to the car.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
RichP

RichP
PostTue Jul 16, 2013 8:28 am 
Nice traverse. up.gif

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks
PostTue Jul 16, 2013 11:28 am 
I've wondered many times whether those two could be done in a day. Probably need the snow in good condition for that, though. I added some labels to your last shot -- that's a great view, with Rainier in the backgound.

MangyMarmot

MangyMarmot
PostWed Jul 17, 2013 7:14 pm 
Thanks for the labels, Puzzlr.

crock

crock
PostThu Jul 31, 2014 6:58 pm 
I love the labels Puzzler, especially Defiance since it's not very prominent. I think one peak is mislabeled though. What is labeled as Thompson is actually Kaleetan Peak. Thompson would be further left outside of the picture (past Chair Pk and Snoqualmie Mtn, also both outside of the picture). The broad peak directly above Garfield is Caroline Peak (5885'). It's labeled Roosevelt on some maps, but Beckey says it is Caroline Peak.

John Morrow

John Morrow
PostThu Jul 31, 2014 7:27 pm 
crock wrote:
I love the labels Puzzler, especially Defiance since it's not very prominent. I think one peak is mislabeled though. What is labeled as Thompson is actually Kaleetan Peak. Thompson would be further left outside of the picture (past Chair Pk and Snoqualmie Mtn, also both outside of the picture). The broad peak directly above Garfield is Caroline Peak (5885'). It's labeled Roosevelt on some maps, but Beckey says it is Caroline Peak.
I think that is right....Kaleetan with the shoulder of Chair to the left.

“Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?”-Mary Oliver “A nation that continues year after year to spend more money on military defense than on programs of social uplift is approaching spiritual doom.” ― MLK Jr.
puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks
PostFri Aug 01, 2014 1:43 am 
RE Thomson/Kaleetan. Of course you're right. Don't know what I was thinking. Fixed it.

crock

crock
PostFri Aug 01, 2014 11:33 am 
Now if someone can just tell me what the big snow covered peak behind Defiance is......