Forum Index > Trail Talk > Is WA 20, WA 253, and US Hwy 97 open through the fire now?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
FluttershyIsMagic

FluttershyIsMagic
PostTue Aug 05, 2014 1:20 am 
In 3 days, I'll be heading up to North Cascades National Park via the east entrance, by climbing over Washington pass before descending into North Cascades National Park (my first time heading up there too! biggrin.gif ) We plan on driving the scenic route from Ohanapecosh Campground at Mt. Rainier via Hwy 410, US-97, shortcut on Hwy 253, and then Hwy 20 to Newhalem. The latest twitter update from WSDOT said that Hwy 20 was open but I haven't heard anything about 97 or 253. Does anyone know if Hwy 253 or 97 are open through the fire zone? If 253 is closed, but 97 and 20 are both open, then we can just skip Hwy 253, since its only a shortcut anyway. It will just be a bit longer over Sherman Pass. It would be nice if 253 is open, though, as it could shave off quite a few miles to the drive.

"I'd like to be a tree!" -Fluttershy (Everfree Hikers) (Photo Spheres)
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
FluttershyIsMagic

FluttershyIsMagic
PostTue Aug 05, 2014 1:23 am 
As for the hikes, I'll be hiking Cascade Pass and Sahalie Arm, Table Mtn and Chain Lakes (or alt. Park Butte/Railroad Grade), and Maple Pass Loop near Washington Pass. So excited! winksmile.gif

"I'd like to be a tree!" -Fluttershy (Everfree Hikers) (Photo Spheres)
jinx'sboy

jinx'sboy
PostTue Aug 05, 2014 5:01 am 
I'm pretty sure you mean 153, not 253??, but yes, all are open and have been for several days.

Chico

Chico
PostTue Aug 05, 2014 6:39 am 
FluttershyIsMagic wrote:
Does anyone know if Hwy 253 or 97 are open through the fire zone?
WSDOT knows. http://www.wsdot.com/traffic/trafficalerts/ But realize that things can and do change.

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostTue Aug 05, 2014 7:54 am 
FluttershyIsMagic wrote:
As for the hikes, I'll be hiking Cascade Pass and Sahalie Arm, Table Mtn and Chain Lakes (or alt. Park Butte/Railroad Grade), and Maple Pass Loop near Washington Pass. So excited! winksmile.gif
Fantastic choices. If you do Park Butte and Railroad Grade, please don't skip RG. I spent the weekend there, it's a marmot paradise, the heather is stunning, and you can scramble up a rock rib above the glacier and peer down at these crevasses. Wonderful time. Dry, though, so leave the car with water and then fill up at High Camp. Spend a night at Sahale if you can.

AlpineRose

AlpineRose
PostTue Aug 05, 2014 2:22 pm 
Sounds like a great trip. Probably a good idea to keep monitoring the fire situation, if you can, during your trip. Mother Nature is in control now. It feels the whole state is up for grabs.