Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Rock, People, Chisels at Kubota Gardens
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
touron

touron
PostSat Aug 09, 2014 9:46 pm 
August 8-August 20
Quote:
Come out and see 10,000 years of history in the making at Kubota Garden as 14th & 15th generation master masons from Japan lead a group of masons to build an 8' high ishigaki (dry-laid) stone rampart base for the new Terrace Overlook.

Touron is a nougat of Arabic origin made with almonds and honey or sugar, without which it would just not be Christmas in Spain.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostSun Aug 10, 2014 8:07 am 
That looks awesome, touron. Thanks for posting this. So I take it you have an affinity for stone too? ~z

touron

touron
PostSun Aug 10, 2014 7:05 pm 
Stone work is interesting, but I am fairly ignorant about it. As I also know little about the stone.

Touron is a nougat of Arabic origin made with almonds and honey or sugar, without which it would just not be Christmas in Spain.
zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostSun Aug 10, 2014 11:07 pm 
Wow, touron. I went today. It was impressive seeing the work being done up there. They have a huge crane to move the boulders around within reach of the masons. I serendipitously met the President of the Kubota Garden Foundation and learned a lot about the project and the garden when I first walked in. I am telling you, if you like stone and stone masonry---especially historical masonry, this is an occasion, these next couple of weeks to see it in action. As their website says: "This is your once in a lifetime opportunity to be part of a 10,000-year old tradition, live at Kubota Garden." The project team also consists of volunteer masons from around the country who paid $1,000 for the opportunity to work with these traditional masons. It was very interesting to watch these guys maneuvering the stone into place and then out for more trimming and sizing---with hand tools in coordination with the big crane. The Japanese masons traveled to Marenakos Rock Center in Issaquah to select a key stone--called the Mirror Stone. It's huge and stands in the center of the front wall already. The stone they are using is High Cascade Granite. I have heard of this stone place before and now have more incentive to go visit. Here is an image of Matsuyama Castle with its ishigaki. Japanese castles are fascinating. Just look through Google images. Kubota Garden will have a viewing platform constructed like these ramparts using large stone, but on a smaller scale. Still it's a big piece of stonework. Kubota Garden is located in Southeast Seattle, very convenient to I-5. ~z

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostMon Aug 11, 2014 7:35 am 
I plan to get there today or tomorrow.

touron

touron
PostMon Aug 11, 2014 6:23 pm 
zephyr, I'm really glad you were able to go and enjoy viewing the stonework in progress. I had a chance to visit the Osaka Castle back in the 1990's. I was really impressed. I had never seen a Japanese castle, and didn't know they existed until that afternoon's excursion in Osaka. Stonework is pretty fascinating. It would have been neat to be a bug on the wall back when all of the stone castles in the world were being built. The stonework in some of our national parks is really neat as well. up.gif up.gif up.gif Too bad some of these incredible skills can't be employed more often. Maybe our throwaway culture can be changed one stone at a time.

Frosty

Frosty
PostTue Aug 12, 2014 10:42 am 
Interesting! I think I would have expected something a little more-- orange, I guess! I love Japanese Gardens and look forward to spending some time in this one next time I am through the area. In the meantime, back to my own 'Kubota garden', which is my little woodlot and farm... smile.gif

Frosty, Lucky enough to live where it snows in the winter! smile.gif
zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostTue Aug 12, 2014 6:22 pm 
touron wrote:
I had a chance to visit the Osaka Castle back in the 1990's. I was really impressed.
Just looked the Osaka Castle up. That's a beauty. 'Has a fascinating history back to the sixteenth century. Check out these ramparts as seen in 1865. I would be impressed too. Some pretty major battles fought there. This morning, I stopped by the work site again. Lots of activity and more visitors; cooler weather helps. Even though it will be a level platform when completed, it's being built in two levels into the hillside. More large boulders were added to the lower level, including a beautiful naturally carved stone about 2/3 the size of that front mirror stone. It was placed on the East side. The platform is oriented north-south overlooking a large pond. The wall extended down into the earth. Since my visit on Sunday, they have brought the grade up in front covering some of those lower rocks. The Mirror Stone rides completely above grade as I recall. Couldn't stay long, but I'll be back. ~z P.S.
Frosty wrote:
I think I would have expected something a little more-- orange, I guess!
Not sure about the Orange color part. This is High Cascade Granite which I believe is typically gray or whitish even. Here's an image. You can see it's a light (or dark) gray coarsely flecked with minerals. And weathered like this. We do have a lot of red and orangish rock in our mountains though. And I have collected some pink granite from near Yellowstone in Wyoming. When stone companies in Puget Sound refer to this type stone, they use that name--High Cascade Granite. I have no idea if it refers to a specific rock formation which do have names.

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostFri Aug 15, 2014 1:20 pm 
Got there Wednesday afternoon. Fascinating! Planning on going back this afternoon to see the progress. Anyone want to join me?

don b

don b
PostFri Aug 15, 2014 8:51 pm 
No couple more weeks chance to see the masons in action. The project will wrap up Wednesday morning with most of the work on the wall finished by the end of the day tomorrow. The wall portion will probably finish on Sunday but there is a small seating wall being built in the same area using the same techniques so there will still be lots to see between Saturday and Tuesday.

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks
PostSat Aug 16, 2014 12:45 am 
zephyr wrote:
I have no idea if it refers to a specific rock formation which do have names.
I read that Kubota is getting the rock from Marenakos, and the rock they are currently selling as "High Cascade Granite" comes from the talus mining operation high on Moolock Peak. You can sometimes spot the Marenakos trucks picking up the rock at the Wisdom Earthworks storage/weighing yard low on the Bessemer road. There are other sources of high talus rock in the area such as on the Hancock lands, but when I asked about some of that rock for my garden this spring that's what I was told.
Moolock talus mine from Middle Fork road
4 labels
Moolock talus mine from Middle Fork road
Moolock talus mine on site
Moolock talus mine on site
Wisdom Earthworks
Wisdom Earthworks

zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostSat Aug 16, 2014 8:20 am 
Thanks, puzzlr for that bit of information and the photos. I have actually been up there in the past year on the way to South Bessemer and Moolock on two trips. We didn't make it to the Moolock summit due to conditions. But I have walked by that Wisdom Earthworks weighing point--not realizing what it was exactly. Knowing this piece makes the ishigaki wall at Kubota even more special seeing as how it came from the Middle Fork. up.gif ~z

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostSat Aug 16, 2014 12:54 pm 
Wall almost topped out. Get there now

zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostSat Aug 16, 2014 7:06 pm 
I was there again today too. I arrived as they were finishing their lunch break. Only one big stone to go in the front wall and a few more on the east side. They have moved some large irregular boulders into the east and west sides. It's my understanding that the wall/platform will incorporate them as if they were "growing" through the wall. Did anyone else notice this? There is now a carved symbol on the south wall. I was told it was the Awata crest or logo. Speaking of the Awata's, here is a fascinating article about a similar project down in Ventura, California and more discussion about the Awata's, the type of masonry and its history in castle architecture. (Even more photos here.) Apparently this type of masonry work comes from Korea and the Anoh-shu people who were brought to Japan in the 6th century. This phase of the project ends on Wednesday August 20 and there will be some type of ceremony at 2 pm according to the staff person I spoke with. If anyone knows more, chime in. Then work on the platform will continue with pavers being installed and at some point the wooden structure. ~z

touron

touron
PostSun Aug 17, 2014 11:31 am 
Thanks for the information on the Moolock Mine, puzzlr. Here are some Seattle PI photos.