Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > This ever happen to you?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Thinktraub

Thinktraub
PostMon Aug 11, 2014 11:30 am 
You finally meet the person you really want to marry. And she's married (or he, if you're a woman). And so are you.

Traub Name Meaning: German and Jewish (Ashkenazic): metonymic occupational name for a wine-grower, from Middle High German trube ‘bunch of grapes’, German Traube.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Nisquaww
Hot balls

Nisquaww
Hot balls
PostMon Aug 11, 2014 12:15 pm 
May want to test ride before you sign the papers.

"Why do you have a beard?" "I don't have a beard. It's just the light; it plays funny tricks." ~ Shel Silverstein
moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon
PostMon Aug 11, 2014 2:28 pm 
Bummer....but, you made the promise before God and friends/family. So now you have some difficult choices. I sincerely wish you well.

"Out, OUT you demons of Stupidity"! - St Dogbert, patron Saint of Technology
coldrain108
Thundering Herd

coldrain108
Thundering Herd
PostMon Aug 11, 2014 3:50 pm 
Thinktraub wrote:
And she's married (or he, if you're a woman).
you must not be from Washington, those gender designations are outdated and insensitive. hockeygrin.gif

Since I have no expectations of forgiveness, I don't do it in the first place. That loop hole needs to be closed to everyone.
kbatku
Questionable hiker

kbatku
Questionable hiker
PostMon Aug 11, 2014 6:03 pm 
The worst part is that she's your sister in law, right?

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostTue Aug 12, 2014 7:15 am 
^ ^ tee hee fantasy relationships that never happen always taste sweeter than reality

Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostTue Aug 12, 2014 8:22 am 
Thinktraub wrote:
You finally meet the person you really want to marry. And she's married (or he, if you're a woman). And so are you.

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostTue Aug 12, 2014 8:27 am 
Check out the Saga of Park Butte. He only went through a death treat or two. embarassedlaugh.gif I wonder if any of those death treat were revisited and if this guy is still alive. If so, if he and Loretta are still together. Doubtful. It's not worth it, man. Run, don't walk.
Quark wrote:
Notice a familiar name here?
Notice a familiar name here?
Saga of Park Butte
Saga of Park Butte

"...Other than that, the post was more or less accurate." Bernardo, NW Hikers' Bureau Chief of Reporting
tom roy

tom roy
PostTue Aug 12, 2014 8:49 am 
My thirty sixth anniversary is near. We have seen a lot of stuff like this over the years with friends, family and co workers. The odds are against you. If your that unhappy move on I have not seen one marriage or relationship last under these circumstances. I was tempted to post something witty about this. But I thought about the pain the adults and kids have gone through and decided it was not funny.

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostTue Aug 12, 2014 11:04 am 
When i was married the Minister said, "do you take -----as your wife, to have and to hold, from this day forward, in sickness as in health, for better or worse until death do you part?". He should have said ".....from bad to worse and that death is your only way out". A fiend once told me that he was married by a Judge and that he should have asked for a Jury.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostTue Aug 12, 2014 1:04 pm 
Chief Joseph wrote:
A fiend. . .

AlpineRose

AlpineRose
PostTue Aug 12, 2014 2:17 pm 
This line from a Nevada Barr book sums up your situation perfectly: "the tedium of having vs the endless potential in wanting". What makes you think someone who would leave their partner for you won't leave you for another? The odds are extremely high.

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostTue Aug 12, 2014 2:56 pm 
AlpineRose wrote:
This line from a Nevada Barr book sums up your situation perfectly: "the tedium of having vs the endless potential in wanting".
Yup; it’s what Keats’ “Ode on a Grecian Urn” is all about. The sculpture of young men chasing beautiful maidens, frozen in time means that they will forever be thrilled by the giddiness of something wonderful that’s juuuuust out of reach. I have an old photo of a 1900’s picnic, and in the photo one young man is raising a big, fat sandwich to his mouth, his mouth is open, ready to take the first bite – it reminds me of Keats’ poem – I’m almost jealous, because that man will forever be looking forward to something really, really good. Heard melodies are sweet, but those unheard Are sweeter; therefore, ye soft pipes, play on; Not to the sensual ear, but, more endear'd, Pipe to the spirit ditties of no tone: Fair youth, beneath the trees, thou canst not leave Thy song, nor ever can those trees be bare; Bold Lover, never, never canst thou kiss, Though winning near the goal yet, do not grieve; She cannot fade, though thou hast not thy bliss, For ever wilt thou love, and she be fair!

"...Other than that, the post was more or less accurate." Bernardo, NW Hikers' Bureau Chief of Reporting
DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostTue Aug 12, 2014 4:07 pm 
Ah, the fog of lust

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostTue Aug 12, 2014 4:20 pm 
Doppelganger wrote:
You have to ask yourself some questions about that sandwich - did they really know how to make sandwiches in the 1900's? After 100+ years, his expectations are probably built up to be crazy stupid high and the sandwich is super gross by now, so is that bite really going to be worth it? What's left after the sandwich is gone (and you know he will ravenously burn through that thing in a flash), will the plain old staple potatoes take him back?
Well it was a damn fine looking sandwich. Home made bread, surely the meat was organic; perhaps it was a smoked oyster sandwich. But the beauty of the situation is that like the dudes and chicks on the Grecian Urn, it never ages; it's always a wonderful sandwich and he will always be looking forward to biting into it. But one point you make - once he takes a bite, it might be a really awful sandwich. So to the original poster - half the desire is desire; once you catch the object, it's no better than anything else. Case in point: your wife ain't so great to you anymore, now that you have her (or so you think). The new girl really isn't any better than anyone else; faults, sometimes bad breath, she farts, she can be annoying as hell....the works. Here's the photo:
Ode on a Grecian Sweet Creek Photo, Almost Takin' a Chomp O' Sandwich in Perpetuity
Ode on a Grecian Sweet Creek Photo, Almost Takin' a Chomp O' Sandwich in Perpetuity