Forum Index > Trip Reports > Snowgrass Flat - Old Snowy 8/8 -8/9/14
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Don

Don
PostThu Aug 14, 2014 2:19 pm 
It had been many years since I had been to this area, and I was excited to return as I had a particular composition in mind from high up along the PCT. Well, this idea was short lived as I began to see the flower display in the meadows, especially just immediately beyond the junction with the PCT. Originally, I had planned to camp much higher, but now realized this was the place to be. I found a spot nearby and called it home. I explored about off-trail checking out various areas, both for flower compositions as well as a trusty water supply. There are very few snowpatches up high right now, and what streams do appear in mid-afternoon are barely a trickle . In the afternoon I headed up to Elk Pass, then scrambled to the summit of Old Snowy. It was getting breezy and clouds were beginning to roll in, possibly for an afternoon electrical show, so I didn't linger long. Mount Rainier was mostly obscured, and clouds were beginning to break the ridges to the west. I strolled back to camp wondering what the evening was going to give me. As the evening progressed, Adams came out from behind her curtain, and low level clouds began to wisp in slowly from the west, disappearing before they reached her slopes. Once the sun went down, the clouds blanketed her lower slopes. The setting was quite spectacular. I retreated to camp for dinner before climbing into the tent for the evening. The next morning I was pretty happy to be heading down the trail upon seeing all the people coming up. It pays to visit on a weekday if you can.
Mount Adams above Flower Meadows

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
GeoTom

GeoTom
PostThu Aug 14, 2014 2:46 pm 
One of our favorites. up.gif

Knows literally nothing
Michael Lewis
Taking a nap

Michael Lewis
Taking a nap
PostThu Aug 14, 2014 3:14 pm 
that picture of Adams at sunset w/flowers slobber.gif flowers.gif stun.gif will we see it again at NWHCS?

DarkHelmet

DarkHelmet
PostThu Aug 14, 2014 4:28 pm 
Verrrrry nice! the flowers are much better then when I was there 3 weeks ago. Looks like your shots were taken very close to where we camped.
Backpacking in the Gifford Pinchot National Forest.  Snowgrass flats are of Goat Rocks
Backpacking in the Gifford Pinchot National Forest. Snowgrass flats are of Goat Rocks

mbtigger
Sherpa Da

mbtigger
Sherpa Da
PostThu Aug 14, 2014 4:44 pm 
GRW has some nice flower density....

Don

Don
PostFri Aug 15, 2014 6:42 am 
DarkHelmet wrote:
Looks like your shots were taken very close to where we camped.
It looks like the exact spot! Nice shot!

gb

gb
PostFri Aug 15, 2014 8:21 am 
I especially like the 2nd shot, Don. A couple of questions: How were the bugs? What do you think the status of the flowers would be now? Were many areas past peak?

Don

Don
PostFri Aug 15, 2014 8:31 am 
GB - the bugs weren't bad at all. I used 30% Deet and they totally left me alone. The flowers were nearing peak, but still coming in. I think now would be an excellent time.

Gwen
LO Girl-of-the-Month

Gwen
LO Girl-of-the-Month
PostFri Aug 15, 2014 3:39 pm 
gb wrote:
How were the bugs? What do you think the status of the flowers would be now? Were many areas past peak?
I second Don. Bugs were quite tolerable (I think I only put juice on on the 3rd day). Flowers in Jordan Basin and Goat Basin were pretty much prime, Snowgrass looked like it was just getting going. I didn't hit Cispus proper, but they were right about were they were last year in my spot above Cispus Basin. (I think Don was coming in as I was going out. Don - Did we pass each other on the trail and not notice? Of course I didn't leave Cispus Basin until about 1 p.m. on Friday and I took that darn wrong path heading down again.)

Tomorrow's not promised to anyone, so be bold, scare yourself, attempt something with no guarantee of success. You'll be amazed at what you can achieve. -Olive McGloin
contour5

contour5
PostFri Aug 15, 2014 5:27 pm 
Nice colors!