Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostMon Aug 18, 2014 4:47 pm 
I went there. That is all.

"...Other than that, the post was more or less accurate." Bernardo, NW Hikers' Bureau Chief of Reporting
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
More Cowbell
Warrior Princess

More Cowbell
Warrior Princess
PostMon Aug 18, 2014 5:04 pm 
Prove it.

“If you want to forget all your other troubles, wear too tight shoes.” - Unknown
GeoTom

GeoTom
PostMon Aug 18, 2014 5:04 pm 
TLDR. clown.gif

Knows literally nothing
iron

iron
PostMon Aug 18, 2014 5:08 pm 
photos or it didn't happen.

nuclear_eggset

nuclear_eggset
PostMon Aug 18, 2014 5:52 pm 
Whoa! eek.gif I'm Surprised!

touron

touron
PostMon Aug 18, 2014 6:23 pm 
As the Holiday Inn ad use to go, "Sometimes the best surprise is no surprise." I guess to put this in the Thread for Lazy Trip Reports would have required ambition. lol.gif

Touron is a nougat of Arabic origin made with almonds and honey or sugar, without which it would just not be Christmas in Spain.
Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostMon Aug 18, 2014 9:54 pm 
I have a few pictures; I might deal with them later. I wasn't inspired; on the other hand, I said that about Quartz Creek (Skykomish) several years ago and this year I went again, and ka-POWIE! god that's an awe inspiring old growth forest. I don't know what the hell was wrong with me several years ago. Once this insipid, godawful heat goes the hell away, perhaps I'll be in a better frame of mind. I mean reallly; I'm reasonable - you get a couple of weekends of hot weather so people can have their damn outdoor weddings and picnics and stuff, and maybe even an extra weekend every other summer or so. That's for boat-owners - but this year the heat's dragged on been long enough that people could have gotten married at a gazebo in a park - say that one at the Arboretum that no one can ever find more than the one time they attended a wedding there - there's been enough time to gestate and give birth to a baby, get divorced and they are now on 2nd marriages (at a different gazebo). I mean enough is enough - the hot weather, I mean. So I'm thinking that Surprise and Glacier Lakes are probably really nice, but it was so damn hot and humid that all my skillenton wanted to do was jump out of my skin and run away. I could feel it bumping around in there, wanting to get out. Then the bugs; o god the bugs*. Over-used shoreline, slimey campsites, re-vegetation signs. BUt one really nice thing - and this is way cool - Surprise Lake has among the prettiest outlets of any lake I have ever seen. And I sorta enjoyed fooling around the boulder field until the bugs suddenly got worse than they started out being. THey were so bad that I was barely balanced on 2 tippy boulders, yet I took the time to remove my pack and apply bug dope. I couldn't wait 'til I wasn't tippy. And another thing - the best wilderness sign ever is on that trail. It's probably an original one; faded, dark, mossy; looks old. I liked the pikas too. But other than those things, I didn't like it much. I know that sounds stupid as hell, and it is. I admit it. I'll go again on some nice, cool, foggy day, and I'll bet it'll be very wonderful. OK, carry on. Oh and I just remembered again - I think I remembered this back in July: on Quartz Creek, it was a hot-as-hell day, and my kitty was dying of cancer. Fast forward to now, and it was a hot-as-hell day, and I have another kitty dying of cancer. Both brown tabbies. If there's anything to melt my heart, it's a brown tabby. When I see one, I'm a goner. I swear to god I am.

"...Other than that, the post was more or less accurate." Bernardo, NW Hikers' Bureau Chief of Reporting
puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks
PostMon Aug 18, 2014 11:19 pm 
Quote:
Over-used shoreline, slimey campsites
Yeah, this lake sucks
Yeah, this lake sucks

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostMon Aug 18, 2014 11:29 pm 
Hey, I don't remember seeing that rock in the lake. It makes all the difference in the world! ok, so maybe I'm the crazy one. crazy.gif 50,000 Elvis fans and puzzlr can't be wrong, hey? tongue.gif Are there campsites on the far side of the lake, or a trail? I worked my way around the boulder field at the south end, and was poking around, but it was incredibly buggy; buggier than the worn out side of the lake, so I worked my way back and found a nicer spot than the slimey ones nearer the shore.

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostMon Aug 18, 2014 11:44 pm 
You failed to give directions to the TH.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostTue Aug 19, 2014 12:01 am 
What, and ruin the surprise?

Foist
Sultan of Sweat

Foist
Sultan of Sweat
PostTue Aug 19, 2014 9:19 am 
If it was that hot, why didn't you take a dip?

the Zachster

the Zachster
PostTue Aug 19, 2014 9:26 am 
Try it in June. No damn bugs. No damn heat. Actually no damn trail most of the way. hockeygrin.gif

"May I always be the kind of person my dog thinks I am"
Foist
Sultan of Sweat

Foist
Sultan of Sweat
PostTue Aug 19, 2014 9:47 am 
Even better, push on to the old Surprise Mtn lookout site. Awesome views, and the crowds disappear above Glacier Lk. That place has really good vibes...

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostTue Aug 19, 2014 10:46 am 
The air temperature was tolerable; the humidity was the killer; it was too humid to do any hiking beyond what was necessary. I had envisioned exploring Pieper Pass, etc. but it was too hot to do much., and actually just did a cursory visit of Glacier Lake – the bugs were worse there. I’m not a lake swimmer; it’s just not my bag. I’m usually encased in a half-inch thick armor of bug dope and dust that would create a slick a mile long, which would eventually end up as a polluted wedge in the Salish Sea. The char at milepost 20.9 on the Suiattle River road would be in perpetual safe paradise, compared to any fish below me, if I were to swim. On the other hand, it would help keep environmental organizations funded and busy the next 10 years, cleaning it up; so perhaps it would be an economic boost….? I’ll go back to that area another time; when it’s cooler and the fall color is out, as shows in puzzlr’s photo.