Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Cheaper Internet Service
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
AlpineRose

AlpineRose
PostTue Aug 19, 2014 12:47 pm 
Does anyone have a good idea on how to save on Internet access? My current annual internet + phone cost is the same as my gas + electricity, which I think is too high. Several tools I found through googling measure my download speed at 8 Mpbs. Don't know how accurate these measurements are. With only one computer used only for basic stuff - e-mail and web browsing, I could probably get by with less.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Joey
verrry senior member

Joey
verrry senior member
PostTue Aug 19, 2014 2:01 pm 
If comcast is available where you live, then you might want to investigate the cost of phone plus internet from them. We are doing this. The phone is local + unlimited long distance. We get about 27.5 Mpbs down and 5.8 up.

NacMacFeegle

NacMacFeegle
PostTue Aug 19, 2014 4:36 pm 
Centurylink has a monopoly in my area- 10mbps, 60 bucks a month when bundled with a land line.

Read my hiking related stories and more at http://illuminationsfromtheattic.blogspot.com/
mike

mike
PostTue Aug 19, 2014 6:18 pm 
NacMacFeegle wrote:
Centurylink has a monopoly in my area- 10mbps, 60 bucks a month when bundled with a land line.
Same here except that 10mbps means 3.5 actual delivered and 60 bucks means 85 in 19th Century Link speak. A friend of mine higher up in the telecom business has little good to say about CL

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostTue Aug 19, 2014 6:40 pm 
Why do you have "phone" service ? With Skype and/or Google voice you only need internet service. Skype also offers a phone number service so that you can have a "phone number" that people can call you using "land lines" or "cell phones" cost is $5 per month. Google voice also supports a phone number service at no cost (except a $10 fee to change the number -- initial setup no cost)

mike

mike
PostTue Aug 19, 2014 7:32 pm 
RandyHiker wrote:
Why do you have "phone" service ?
Some of many reasons which may not apply to other areas: -no cell service here -what happens when the power goes out? -bundled CL price is the same with or without a land line -satellite is the only other choice but I don't want TV -dsl is the only option that includes a land line (see #1) -local ISP's are good but I'd have to pay for a phone too -how to call 911?

NacMacFeegle

NacMacFeegle
PostTue Aug 19, 2014 7:33 pm 
RandyHiker wrote:
Why do you have "phone" service ? With Skype and/or Google voice you only need internet service. Skype also offers a phone number service so that you can have a "phone number" that people can call you using "land lines" or "cell phones" cost is $5 per month. Google voice also supports a phone number service at no cost (except a $10 fee to change the number -- initial setup no cost)
Centurylink charges the same price for internet without bundled phone service as it does with phone service bundled. If I remember correctly it may even charge more for internet without the phone!
mike wrote:
Same here except that 10mbps means 3.5 actual delivered and 60 bucks means 85 in 19th Century Link speak. A friend of mine higher up in the telecom business has little good to say about CL
I get a steady 10 (or even 11 or 12) mbps, but it rarely performs that good. It often fades in and out, or dies altogether. Apparently the line beneath our road is faulty, and is scheduled to be replaced, but who knows how long that will take shakehead.gif Still, its miles better than what we had a few years ago when the only option other than dial-up was a smartphone, and we could only get speeds of 15-60kbps.

Read my hiking related stories and more at http://illuminationsfromtheattic.blogspot.com/
AlpineRose

AlpineRose
PostTue Aug 19, 2014 7:43 pm 
btw, a rep at one of internet provider services claims FCC says providers are supposed to guarantee within 20% of the published internet speed. A gentle reminder, dear readers, I am only asking about ideas for reducing internet cost, not the merits or demerits of a landline.

mike

mike
PostTue Aug 19, 2014 7:53 pm 
Well the bottom line was that a bundle with internet and phone is the cheapest deal I've found as NMF says. Your situation probably is different...

gb

gb
PostWed Aug 20, 2014 10:29 am 
Yes, I've got the Century Link combo as well in Seattle. At the time I joined (not now) Century Link guaranteed 5 years at a price of 64.95 but that worked out to 85 dollars after taxes. Prior to initiating internet service the phone alone w/o long distance was 46+/mo., so the internet costs nearly 40. I do find the service reliably good. I think the land line is superior to modem based phone service - but I don't have anything but a cheap emergency cellphone that can be activated for 25 for 3 mos. from AT&T. I don't see myself getting a regular cellphone as i don't think I need it. Before going with the 5 year plan (which I am not contractually required to endure) I tried Comcast. They had a one year 19.95 deal which ended up being about 26/mo. After one year the 19.95 went to 32 for another six months, then they wanted about 50. I went to their office and stood in line for about an hour and they made me a feeble 6 mo. offer that was nearer the 32 (don't recall). However, after quitting Comcast, I was told I could have gotten 24.95. I felt like Comcast was trying to set the hook and dealing with them every six months was a pain in the a#$. Century Link service is much better although the price is nearly as much.

marzsit
Dork

marzsit
Dork
PostWed Aug 20, 2014 6:32 pm 
i've also got centurylink service, the dsl and landline runs $75 a month here in kent. it would probably be more than that, but since i had the same service in my last apartment they moved the service to my new home and didn't charge me disconnect/reconnect fees either. as far as the speed goes, it's usually 8-10 mbps except on the weekends.. sometimes it's slow but, the connection is always up so i really can't complain. one of my neighbors has comcast and it's frequently down, so he sometimes calls me and begs to use my wifi..

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostWed Aug 20, 2014 7:10 pm 
FWIW: I'm in Zipcode 98008 and currently on Comcast for $30+taxes / month For a while I would switchback and forth between CenturyLink and Comcast internet only service to get six-months of "introductory pricing" That got tedious after a few years and when Comcast was about to bump me out of their "introductory pricing" I called them up and was able to convince them to indefinitely extend the "introductory pricing" period. I have good cell signal at my house -- so calling *911 wouldn't be a problem at home. If I was in an area without cell signal -- I guess I would just need to call the fire station and/or police via their direct numbers instead of dialing 911 -- like we did in the old days.

Magellan
Brutally Handsome

Magellan
Brutally Handsome
PostWed Aug 20, 2014 10:51 pm 
Some people have their cable, internet, and phone through the same company. What if it's down? Then you have nothing. I still have a landline. I hate paying the (recently raised to) $28/month, but I want that 911 service. I have kids, so that is a big influence.

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostThu Aug 21, 2014 6:08 am 
How do you check the speed? I have Centurylink. I don't know whether it is a slow connection or my computer, but when I watch shows on line, there are a lot of pixel/blurry images that pop up a lot and I can't see. Otherwise, I'd disconnect the satellite TV.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
Joey
verrry senior member

Joey
verrry senior member
PostThu Aug 21, 2014 11:03 am 
treeswarper wrote:
How do you check the speed?
Google: internet speed test lotsa choices