Forum Index > Public Lands Stewardship > Effort to restore grizzlies in N. Cascades gets rolling
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
CHECKTHISOUT

CHECKTHISOUT
PostMon Sep 01, 2014 10:25 pm 
olderthanIusedtobe wrote:
You know there are MANY attacks of humans by domestic dogs every year in this country, including some fatalities. Where is the hysteria and fear mongering over domestic dogs? It's selective outrage, and it's ridiculous. Your chances of being attacked by a grizzly bear are very slim. Man up people.
No problem. Lets put you in a cage with a Brown Bear and see if you stand behind your tough words there.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostMon Sep 01, 2014 10:34 pm 
That was so clever you had to say it twice?

CHECKTHISOUT

CHECKTHISOUT
PostTue Sep 02, 2014 6:00 am 
That was so clever you had to say it twice?
yes

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostTue Sep 02, 2014 8:52 am 
Obviously I don't want to go in a cage with a brown bear. Adult bears can range over hundreds of square miles. Being in an area where a bear lives by no means guarantees actually running into that bear. We have abundant cougar and black bear populations in Washington, I've never had a problem with either large predator over the course of many thousands of miles of hiking. I've also spent a little bit of time hiking in grizz country in Montana, Wyoming, BC and Alberta and never had an issue thankfully. I don't believe that having grizz in an area is a death sentence for hikers or other outdoor recreationists.

joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostTue Sep 02, 2014 9:01 am 
I've got an idea. Let's not put anyone in cages with the reintroduced Gizzlies! Seems like a good idea, for starters.

CHECKTHISOUT

CHECKTHISOUT
PostTue Sep 02, 2014 10:12 am 
Obviously I don't want to go in a cage with a brown bear. Adult bears can range over hundreds of square miles. Being in an area where a bear lives by no means guarantees actually running into that bear. We have abundant cougar and black bear populations in Washington, I've never had a problem with either large predator over the course of many thousands of miles of hiking. I've also spent a little bit of time hiking in grizz country in Montana, Wyoming, BC and Alberta and never had an issue thankfully. I don't believe that having grizz in an area is a death sentence for hikers or other outdoor recreationists.
K. Why waste money "reintroducing" them though? If it's meant to be, they will naturally make their way back at which point they can be culled as needed. This can be done for free with little to no management costs.

gb

gb
PostTue Sep 02, 2014 10:47 am 
CHECKTHISOUT wrote:
If it's meant to be, they will naturally make their way back
Therein lies the problemn. Biologists assert that the population density is not high enough to make it's way back naturally. Nor was it "ever meant to be" that they would have been hunted nearly to extinction in the first place.

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?
PostTue Sep 02, 2014 2:05 pm 
Bedivere wrote:
Your chances of being attacked by a grizzly bear are very slim.
Especially if you are where the Grizz are not. tongue.gif
That is certainly irrefutable logic.
I'm guessing that you got my point but for those who didn't: comparing dog attacks to grizz attacks is patently ridiculous. There are millions of dogs and they tend to live right along side us humans. There are far fewer grizz and they hang out in the most sparsely populated areas. I wonder how the statistics might change if every other house had a grizz in the back yard. Comparing grizz to black bears or cougars is also apples an oranges. Weasels are vicious predators too, how come no one worries about them? rolleyes.gif

CHECKTHISOUT

CHECKTHISOUT
PostTue Sep 02, 2014 2:27 pm 
gb wrote:
Therein lies the problemn. Biologists assert that the population density is not high enough to make it's way back naturally. Nor was it "ever meant to be" that they would have been hunted nearly to extinction in the first place.
Then it's not meant to be. Humans are part of the ecosystem too.

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostTue Sep 02, 2014 3:31 pm 
CHECKTHISOUT wrote:
Humans are part of the ecosystem too.
I'm sure we could go around and around about this and never agree, but I fundamentally disagree with you about this. Humans basically exempted themselves from the ecosystem a long time ago. We like to tinker with it and screw it up, but we are basically living apart from it. Which other species developed atom bombs or nuclear power facilities and can annihilate the planet? That is not part of the natural ecosystem.

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostTue Sep 02, 2014 3:36 pm 
Bedivere wrote:
Bedivere wrote:
Your chances of being attacked by a grizzly bear are very slim.
Especially if you are where the Grizz are not. tongue.gif
That is certainly irrefutable logic.
I'm guessing that you got my point but for those who didn't: comparing dog attacks to grizz attacks is patently ridiculous. There are millions of dogs and they tend to live right along side us humans. There are far fewer grizz and they hang out in the most sparsely populated areas. I wonder how the statistics might change if every other house had a grizz in the back yard. Comparing grizz to black bears or cougars is also apples an oranges. Weasels are vicious predators too, how come no one worries about them? rolleyes.gif
Probably the vast majority of comparisons that get made are apples to oranges. Here's another commonly used one--even in grizz country the most dangerous part of hiking or backpacking is driving to the trailhead in a car. We all take some risks every day that we probably don't even think about. Perception of a threat doesn't necessarily correlate with how much of a threat it really is. I for one am glad wolves are coming back to Washington and I would not be upset if grizz came back as well.

joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostTue Sep 02, 2014 4:09 pm 
Bedivere wrote:
comparing dog attacks to grizz attacks is patently ridiculous
No, it's not. It helps provide some perspective on risks we all face across the arcs of our lives. And thus puts histrionics about the risk that someone may die at the mercy of a Cascades bear into at least some degree of perspective. Thus putting the risk from grizzlies, even if we go deep into their country, relatively low on the list of hazards we all face. Sure, it will change some of the backpacking conveniences we currently appreciate here. Sure, it will add some degree of risk even then. But to what extent? What we have thus far on this thread WRT the risk side from the anti-reintroduction crew is mere fact-free sensationalism. Me, I prefer the deer comparison. Bambi can kill you! And does in surprisingly high numbers! If you drive the Methow area during dusk or later, watch out!!

33teeth

33teeth
PostTue Sep 02, 2014 8:08 pm 
I prefer the dog comparison. Dog owners - mind your beasts! wink.gif

Is that a kind of beer?
gb

gb
PostTue Sep 02, 2014 9:44 pm 
Golfers…..how about golfers? They have a much higher chance of getting hit by lightning than a hiker (even in Glacier) has of getting attacked by a Grizzly. Yet they still golf. Yes, that's right, those incredible athletes just keep right on hitting that silly little ball.

phillyjon

phillyjon
PostWed Sep 03, 2014 8:23 am 
But why? You have all admitted that some people will die, and once again, I mean getting eaten alive. Do you think they deserve it for being stupid or somethjing. It seems like you are knee-jerking into naturalism. It's not nessesary.

"No matter how high one sits upon a pedestal, one still sits upon his arse." Ben Franklin