Forum Index > Trail Talk > Getting cozy with glaciers + fish - route help?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
GaiterFan

GaiterFan
PostFri Aug 22, 2014 9:49 pm 
Hi all, Hoping you can help me out with some trip planning (you all have been invaluable in the past, many many thanks for that and in advance). My brother-in-law and I are planning a trip for the start of October. He’s never been up close and personal with glaciers before, so that seems like a good starting point. Criteria:
  • We’re aiming for North Cascades NP, though for the perfect route could do further south or even the Olympics – but NCNP makes a lot of sense logistically
  • 3-4 nights
  • Glaciers – close-up views of them would be great. We won’t have glacier travel gear though and lack the skills for traversing actual glaciers
  • We’re both in pretty good shape – no concern about long days or lots of vert
  • He’s a serious fisherman and will be bringing fishing gear if that makes sense – so that’s a bonus.
  • He’s not from the PNW and I want him (them) to love it – so majestic above treeline vistas are a definite plus.
I’ve been looking at the Copper Ridge/Chilliwack River loop (which seems great, but not up close with glaciers) and Sahale Arm, which seems perfect other than might be tough to make a compelling 3-4 night trip out of it – unless there’s lots of scrambling to be done in the area. Where else should I be looking? Thanks, trail gurus.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostFri Aug 22, 2014 10:04 pm 
Heliotrope Ridge on Mt Baker gives an impressive view of the Coleman Glacier. On the other side of Mt Baker the Easton Glacier is easily viewed, not quite as impressive, but that side is closer to Baker lake -- which might have some fishing -- but I'm noit a fish catcher, so I don't know what the report is for Baker Lake. If you go up the Chilliwack -- and head a bit farther east up Brush creek to Whatcom Pass there are impressive views of the Whatcom and Challenger glaciers is impressive -- not sure if there are any fish in Tapto lakes.

gb

gb
PostFri Aug 22, 2014 10:07 pm 
Your best views of glaciers are on the Railroad grade trail of Mt. Baker - south facing so a bonus in October. Also the Heliotrope Ridge trail on the north side of Baker. Baker also has the worst weather which is why it has the biggest glaciers. Fishing at Baker Lake or Watson Lake. The south end of Skyline Divide has very good views of Baker's Glaciers, too. Fishing Nooksack River? Sahale has good distant views of glaciers - there may be fishing at Doubtful Lake? The road is scheduled to be closed for a while starting September 8th so check with the NPS in Marblemount or Newhalem.