Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Top 20 greatest guitar riffs (ever)
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostFri Aug 29, 2014 7:09 pm 
With riffs it is the performance not the melody or tune which is important. Dylan wrote All Along the Watchtower but Hendrix's performance is in a completely different league. banana.gif

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
contour5

contour5
PostFri Aug 29, 2014 9:29 pm 
Quote:
But was T-Bone original? He may have gotten his riffs from some earlier guitarist, or maybe a riverboat banjo picker.
T-Bone Walker was from Texas, not Mississippi... He was among the first electric guitar players in the late 30s... T-Bone and Charlie Christian basically laid the foundation for most of the amplified jazz and blues players who came later- as well as the R'n'B and rock guitarists who copied them. Like Eric Clapton, who started out recording tons of blues covers: Clapton's Tribute to Elmore Come to think of it- Why isn't Elmore James on the list? Mickey Baker? Pee Wee Crayton? Earl Hooker? Hound Dog Taylor?
Quote:
how can you make a list like that and overlook the inimitable Hubert Sumlin? (and yes, that is indeed Albert "Sunnyland Slim" Luandrew ticklin' the ivories.)
Indeed. Clapton recorded Sunnyland Slim's "Steppin Out" with the Bluesbreakers in '66. I had the privilege of seeing Hubert Sumlin playwith Howlin' Wolf's band at the first Seattle Blues festival in 1979. The list should probably be titled something like "Best mainstream rock guitarists sanctioned by AOR sound mafia". Lists are silly.

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostFri Aug 29, 2014 11:20 pm 
I found the exclusion of Elmore James baffling, myself. After all, if there had never been an Elmore, there would have never been a J.B. Hutto. wink.gif You're right: lists are silly.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."