Forum Index > Food & Grub > instant coffee comparisons
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Lazy Hen

Lazy Hen
PostTue Aug 26, 2014 6:40 am 
I've lost track of the thread/argument about which instant coffee brand was best, but would like to report the results of an imperical study made on my last trip, where I compared three brands. The results (in my opinion): Starbuck's Via: indeed tastes like burned sawdust. Ugh. Folgers: tastes like the stuff your mother used to make, stewed in the pot all morning. Safeway Select: pretty good, actually tastes like coffee. I had a second cup.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostTue Aug 26, 2014 9:47 am 
It's worth calling out which Via if you know, as they have multiple types, and the taste varies a fair bit across them.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostTue Aug 26, 2014 10:47 am 
Here is a lighter, cheaper way to get your fix. Not very tasty and doesn't fulfill the ritual aspects of a morning cup o'joe. If a truly decent cup of coffee is the goal -- this does the job with little weight penalty -- at least if you are already using a JetBoil.

More Cowbell
Warrior Princess

More Cowbell
Warrior Princess
PostTue Aug 26, 2014 11:26 am 
My favorite http://www.enjoybettercoffee.com/Mount-Hagen-Coffee-s/113.htm

“If you want to forget all your other troubles, wear too tight shoes.” - Unknown
Dante

Dante
PostTue Aug 26, 2014 3:35 pm 
RandyHiker wrote:
Here is a lighter, cheaper way to get your fix. Not very tasty and doesn't fulfill the ritual aspects of a morning cup o'joe.
I used to pack Vivarin when I was both more dependent on coffee and cared more about going light. It cleared those caffeine headaches right up and weighed next to nothing. Nowadays I bring Via if I bring coffee at all. Way better than old fashioned instant.

Frosty

Frosty
PostTue Aug 26, 2014 4:32 pm 
For a hot instant non-tea beverage, I use caf-lib, dark roast. There's no caffeine but it is drinkable. If I want coffee, I bring coffee.

Frosty, Lucky enough to live where it snows in the winter! smile.gif
MLHSN
What goes here?????

MLHSN
What goes here?????
PostTue Aug 26, 2014 5:05 pm 
I've got the Jetboil French press. I use a jetboil pot with a different stove.

Lazy Hen

Lazy Hen
PostTue Aug 26, 2014 9:14 pm 
The little packets of instant serve my purpose of having something coffee-like to sip while sitting in the sun on a beautiful morning, enjoying the view. Weight and pack space are top priority. On a rainy morning, packing up early to get on the trail, a chunk of chocolate does well enough. And the discussion goes on.....

robertjoy

robertjoy
PostWed Aug 27, 2014 11:13 am 
I would never use the French Press in my Jetboil... the cup is for Pure WATER ONLY; no cooking, no cleaning. If you want real coffee in the wilderness, try the AeroPress. It makes great (real) coffee and is fast and easy to cleanup. If you want to leave no trace, you can pack out your coffee grounds, which is a small price to pay for real coffee.

Mosquitoes refuse to bite me, purely out of respect.
joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostWed Aug 27, 2014 1:56 pm 
For car camping, we've started using the Clever Coffee Dripper - gives the best of French press with the best of filtered/drip. As with all methods of extraction, you have to get the grind right! The small version is not wildly different in weight from the Aeropress, I believe. For car camping, we also use one of these to get fresh ground (from, of course, fresh home roasted beans...):
But for backpacking, we've pretty much succumbed to the crystals. So light and so simple. I think the charbucks Italian Roast is what we arrived on as being at least half decent from their lineup - if memory serves the Columbian was not very good for our tastes, and we haven't tried the others that they've come out with lately. Will have to try Safeway Select and perhaps the Mount Hagen as well.

wakerobin

wakerobin
PostTue Sep 02, 2014 2:44 pm 
I use this, instant espresso powder, just re-packed in a baggie instead of a glass jar. It does taste a little different than regular coffee, but better than Via or the other alternatives. (Also, it is about half the price at Fred Meyer, not sure where Amazon is coming up with the price.) http://www.amazon.com/Medaglia-DOro-Instant-Espresso-Coffee/dp/B002BTI9B0/ref=sr_1_1?s=grocery&ie=UTF8&qid=1409694052&sr=1-1&keywords=instant+espresso

Between the silence of the mountains and the crashing of the sea...
mountainbug

mountainbug
PostWed Sep 03, 2014 12:00 am 
I too have run the gamut of the instant blends and have discovered one that at least tastes like coffee...viola "Haggen Organic Instant Coffee". Other than this one I will use Granville Island Pucks, they are made for a kurig type machine but if you let them steep in your cup....'real joe in the morning"! The only downside is disposing of the grounds.

You are only limited from achieving your goals by not believing it can be done.
joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostWed Sep 03, 2014 8:19 am 
There are a variety of other threads on that food question elsewhere in the Food forum, fwiw...

contour5

contour5
PostWed Sep 03, 2014 11:17 am 
Quote:
There are a variety of other threads on that food question elsewhere in the Food forum, fwiw...
Yes, but coffee is the essential essential, number zero on the list. A google of hiking and coffee turns up 35 million hits. This is definitely crucial enough to warrant at least one more thread.

joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostWed Sep 03, 2014 2:13 pm 
No argument there! Lazy Hen removed the post (about non-coffee food questions) which prompted that comment from me.