Forum Index > Trip Reports > Sierra Dreamin' cont'd- North Peak & Clouds Rest 08/13-15
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Sadie's Driver
Sadie's Driver

Sadie's Driver
Sadie's Driver
PostWed Aug 27, 2014 9:00 pm 
For those who missed the first installment of the Sierra adventure, it's here Ansel Adams Wilderness The end part of the trip to the Sierras was in the giant Sequoias here: Calveras Big Trees State Park Day 6 - North Peak (12,242) Distance: 9 miles – 6 hours RT Gain: 2400' Now for some more adventure. up.gif We left Mammoth early on Thurs. Aug. 14 to see if we could score a campsite at Saddlebag Lake on the Northeast corner of Yosemite (just barely in the park). Loaded up with Aleve and my tennis ball (for shoulder pain relief), off we went. You turn off of Hwy 120 (Sonora Hwy) about 9 miles from Lee Vining. We got lucky and found a campsite and laid claim to it. Two people pulled in at the campsite right next to us and ironically, they too were headed for North Peak. Tim (one of the two) said that he had done North Peak 14 years earlier and asked us what route we were going to take. I told him that our friend had said there was a Class 2, easy scramble Ragman's trip in 2012 and that's what we were aiming for. Tim looked doubtful - and skeptical about whether or not we knew what we were doing! Tim says, "Hmmm, it's at least Class 3 and 4." eek.gif Hmm, Roger usually isn't wrong about these kinds of things and posts such great, descriptive trip reports. Maybe the California Class 3/4 is the new Washington Class 2! lol.gif Undeterred, off we headed at the alpine start of 11:00 a.m. or so! As Ragman indicates in his report, there are two ways to get up-lake towards North Peak. You can take the shuttle that leaves on the half-hour (runs 7 am – 6:30 pm, I think), or walk the mile or so along the west side of the lake – not a bad walk. We chose to do that both ways – adds a little mileage. Just as we were getting to the end of Saddlebag Lake, Tim and his hiking partner, Evie, passed us at a good clip on a mission for North Peak. Good, we thought. We can see what route they are taking. They breezed on by. There are bootpaths from Saddlebag to Greenstone Lake and at least to the first of the Conness Lakes. Keep going, it’s the next Conness Lake that you want to pay attention to and head towards the western end where the waterfall is and Mount Conness is behind and then head diagonally towards the ridge between Conness and North – this is what we DIDN’T do. Oh no, we watched Tim and Evie, who actually headed more west/northwest directly toward North Peak. We had talked with him about the gendarmes and where one should access the ridge in relationship to those – we thought for sure Tim had said to the left (west) and straight up the main couloir. Hmmm, really? And then, we lost sight of them – we were on our own! So, we looked at the route of least difficulty (so we thought) and up we went. Reaching a shelf, and then continuing up the steep couloir on the south face of North Peak (trust me, that does make sense). When we were about ½ the way up this, I could see Tim above the large gendarme – they must have come up the east side of it. They then disappeared again. Meanwhile we are trying to decide if we go on the west side of the couloir – which Tim claimed to be the best route down because there is loose, sandy/gravel stuff to somewhat plunge in – but not a good route up because you don’t get good footing – or whether to go up more on the east side of the couloir, where there are a lot of boulders. We opted for the east side – at first. OMG, we got ourselves into some nasty stuff. Even though it seemed the ridge we were aiming for was in sight, it would turn out that we really had even more awful stuff to attack if we wanted to gain the ridge from this side – easily Class 4. So, some sanity prevailed, and we agreed to down-climb and head over to the west side and take our chances on the route that Tim told us not to take. It looked like there was “sorta” a boot path that zig-zagged up some ledges to the ridge – at least it looked more promising. And, it was. With a whole lot less effort – but none-the-less NO CLASS 2(!) – we were on the ridge. Once there, it was like a huge plateau. We looked further to the west on this plateau and looked at what appeared to be a potential route down. We would investigate on our return. To the east was the summit block of North Peak – piece ‘o cake – hands-in-your-pockets, by comparison! So, up we headed. Still no sign of Tim and Evie. And, then, just as we were about to hit the summit – BINGO – up pops Tim from the east side of the summit. Evie would follow a few minutes later. Looking down, it wasn’t a route I would have wanted to take! And, you know what, we ALL got to the summit. I think Tim was a bit surprised that we made it before they did. There was a summit register – and we all signed it. It had been placed after Ragman made the summit, so there was no entry for him. Of course, we did the obligatory take each other’s pictures/summit shot routine. We had a nice chat with Tim and Evie – Tim was very clear to inform me that he and Evie ARE NOT an item/couple, that they are just very good hiking friends and are quite comfortable hiking with one another, having similar skills and interests. I assured him that I totally understood about hiking “friends.” They both live close to the Yosemite area – he in Topaz Lake and Evie in Fallon, NV. We decided to move off of the summit to eat lunch out of the wind. After a bit, we headed down before they did, deciding to take Ragman’s route down, if we could find it. And, sure enough, we did find a very definite boot path! doof.gif And once back down at the 2nd Conness Lake, could easily see where we SHOULD have gone. We wound our way down and across the fabulous granite slabs back to the way we had gone up from Conness #1. We toyed with the idea of taking the boat shuttle back down-lake, but it was just pulling away and we had about a ¼ mile to go to get to it . . . the lakeshore trail was fine. As we approached the dam again, who should be right on our heels but Tim and Evie! They had taken our up route down and there was complaining about it being a bit dicey (what? We thought it was simple compared to what we first attempted!) With my shoulder still throbbing, I spent a less-than-restful night in the car in an upright position to take some pressure off of it. bored.gif
Caught this while driving from Lee Vining to Saddlebag Lake
Caught this while driving from Lee Vining to Saddlebag Lake
Boot Hill of Saddlebag Lake!
Boot Hill of Saddlebag Lake!
Dam that we crossed to get to the westside trail along Saddlebag Lake
Dam that we crossed to get to the westside trail along Saddlebag Lake
Trail on the west side of Saddlebag lake - our destination, North Peak, ahead
Trail on the west side of Saddlebag lake - our destination, North Peak, ahead
Looking back towards Saddlebag Lake
Looking back towards Saddlebag Lake
North Peak ahead
North Peak ahead
Looking up at Mt. Conness on the left
Looking up at Mt. Conness on the left
More views from our route up to North
More views from our route up to North
Splendid view on our way up
Splendid view on our way up
Conness Lake #2
Conness Lake #2
Lots of lakes and tarns between Conness and North
Lots of lakes and tarns between Conness and North
Our ledges route up to the ridge
Our ledges route up to the ridge
Once on the ridge - looking up at North Peak summit
Once on the ridge - looking up at North Peak summit
20-Lake Basin below North Peak to the northeast
20-Lake Basin below North Peak to the northeast
More views from North's summit
More views from North's summit
Fabulous views from the summit of North
Fabulous views from the summit of North
Looking over the broad North Peak ridge - Lake Roosevelt below
Looking over the broad North Peak ridge - Lake Roosevelt below
Tim and Evie - our summit-mates on North Peak. They are just good hiking friends!
Tim and Evie - our summit-mates on North Peak. They are just good hiking friends!
On the top of 12,200+ North Peak in the NE corner of Yosemite
North Peak summit
North Peak summit
Heading back down to the Conness lakes from North Peak ridge
Heading back down to the Conness lakes from North Peak ridge
Looking straight up to Mt. Conness - classic Sierras
Looking straight up to Mt. Conness - classic Sierras
Upper North Peak ridge
Upper North Peak ridge
Steep down-climb
Steep down-climb
Waterfall from a distance
Waterfall from a distance
Waterfalls at the inlet of the Conness Lake where you would head up to the North Peak ridge
Waterfalls at the inlet of the Conness Lake where you would head up to the North Peak ridge
Ahh youth, ready to jump into the glacial lakes
Ahh youth, ready to jump into the glacial lakes
One of the many Conness lakes
One of the many Conness lakes
More granite
More granite
That wonderful Yosemite granite
That wonderful Yosemite granite
A bundle of fish from Saddlebag Lake
A bundle of fish from Saddlebag Lake
Day 7 – Clouds Rest (9926’) Distance: 15 miles – 6.5 hours RT Gain: ~2400’ Next morning, we were up early to head to the heart of Yosemite and a hike up Clouds Rest – it would be about 15 miles roundtrip, but at least we only were carrying daypacks. Even at 9:00 a.m. it already was starting to heat up. Didn’t really see too many people on the trail – we passed a few. The route is up and down, gaining about 2200’ when all is said and done. Not much to say about the trail – it wanders through the trees a lot until you break out onto the final ridge – that’s where we began to see the hordes of people (both coming and going). Unlike so much of our hiking the previous 6 days, this trail is a virtual highway right from the beginning. You actually can keep going on the trail and wind up near the base of Half Dome – and some people were doing that with full overnight packs. The foot path to the summit is really cool – like a series of steps up a somewhat narrow ridge with drop-offs. Once on the summit, we were with lots of other folks – but it truly is worth it, since you get such a spectacular view of Yosemite. Fortunately, the skies were pretty clear and there was only small evidence of the fire on the west side of the park. After a nice lunch and soaking in the sun, we headed back down. Pretty uneventful until about midway on our return. Barry was ahead of me and stopped to say “Wow, there’s a jack rabbit headed right at us.” Before I could get my camera out, that little sucker zoomed past the two of us as if we weren’t even there. I figured something was after it. We continued on and came upon these two guys who had been ahead of us down the trail. We asked if they had seen the rabbit and they said no, but that they had just seen a coyote! A-Ha! Mystery solved. stun.gif We got back to the car and decided to head back to Tuolumne Meadows to the store/deli and grab a snack – it was mighty toasty by now. cool.gif The big question was whether to try and find an available campsite in Yosemite or on the west side – or press on to Angels Camp. We soon discovered that all of the campgrounds were, indeed, full – and then on the west side of the park, there was so much destruction from the 2013 fires, nothing was going to be very appealing. I was shocked at how burned out the area was – didn’t look a thing like it did in 2012. We got to Angels Camp only to find that just about every room nearby was booked for a ZZ Top/Jeff Beck concert in Murphys. Who know (a) that there was a concert venue in Murphys (at a winery); and (b) that that many people would actually still go to a ZZ Top concert! Anyway, found a place to stay – it was getting late. The next day we would head to the Sequoias before driving back to Sacramento. Great trip! There’s still plenty left to do in the Sierras! agree.gif winksmile.gif
The trail to Clouds Rest actually starts out paved!
The trail to Clouds Rest actually starts out paved!
Trail markers don't necessarily agree on the distance of our route
Trail markers don't necessarily agree on the distance of our route
Looking at our destination - Clouds Rest from near the trailhead
Looking at our destination - Clouds Rest from near the trailhead
Trail to Clouds Rest is a virtual highway! How novel, a trail! We haven't seen too many of those on this trip.
Trail to Clouds Rest is a virtual highway! How novel, a trail! We haven't seen too many of those on this trip.
Trail marker for the foot trail to Clouds Rest
Trail marker for the foot trail to Clouds Rest
Lots o' folks on the summit of Clouds Rest
Lots o' folks on the summit of Clouds Rest
Possibly Matterhorn from the summit of Clouds Rest
Possibly Matterhorn from the summit of Clouds Rest
Views from Clouds Rest
Views from Clouds Rest
Can't seem to get away from the season of forest fires in the mountains - this on the SW side of Yosemite
Can't seem to get away from the season of forest fires in the mountains - this on the SW side of Yosemite
Half Dome
Half Dome
WooHoo - 9926 summit of Clouds Rest
WooHoo - 9926 summit of Clouds Rest
Pretty decent views from Clouds Rest
Pretty decent views from Clouds Rest
Heading down from Clouds Rest
Heading down from Clouds Rest
Skateboarding the Yosemite grainite
Skateboarding the Yosemite grainite

Four-paw buddy lets me tag along!
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
goinbigg17

goinbigg17
PostThu Aug 28, 2014 11:30 am 
Great looking trip! Oh how I want to go back and explore more of Yosemite and the Saddlebag area!

ree

ree
PostSun Aug 31, 2014 9:17 pm 
shakehead.gif shakehead.gif shakehead.gif There's this great jump you should try, over here... yeah, it only looks like 1,000' drop, but it'll make a great picture. C'mon, try it!

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostSun Aug 31, 2014 9:21 pm 
Looks like some slabby goodness and lots of nice lakes. I've been to Saddlebag but haven't hiked beyond it. Apparently I should. Clouds Rest is a good outing, great overview of The Valley.

Middle E
no more moustache

Middle E
no more moustache
PostMon Sep 01, 2014 9:34 am 
This was my first visit to Yosemite. Sure, I've seen plenty of pictures, but it's not the same as being there and feeling the granite underneath your feet. up.gif Without any snow, it actually looks kind of barren, but I'm sure that would have been different a month or two ago. A Friday/Saturday in mid-August is not the time to find solitude inside or near the park! Some pics from North Pk.
Saddlebag Lake and resort
Saddlebag Lake and resort
North Peak ahead
North Peak ahead
Ascending through granite
Ascending through granite
North Peak
North Peak
Looking down on lower Conness Lake
Looking down on lower Conness Lake
"Hands in pockets" near the summit of North Pk.
"Hands in pockets" near the summit of North Pk.
Looking north from North Pk. (20 Lakes Basin on the right)
Looking north from North Pk. (20 Lakes Basin on the right)
From North Pk.
From North Pk.
Conness Mn. from North Pk.
Conness Mn. from North Pk.
Conness Mtn. on the descent route
Conness Mtn. on the descent route
Tarn below Conness Mtn.
Tarn below Conness Mtn.
Cascade into Conness Lake
Cascade into Conness Lake
The easy route up North Pk. (not our route!)
The easy route up North Pk. (not our route!)
Lower Conness Lake on the return
Lower Conness Lake on the return
Some pics from Clouds Rest
Starting toward Clouds Rest
Starting toward Clouds Rest
Half Dome!
Half Dome!
Granite ocean from Clouds Rest
Granite ocean from Clouds Rest
From Clouds Rest
From Clouds Rest
Narrow route to Clouds Rest
Narrow route to Clouds Rest
Clouds Rest in the distance
Clouds Rest in the distance

pithy yet insightful signature
BarbE

BarbE
PostMon Sep 01, 2014 10:13 am 
Sadie's Driver wrote:
Nice matching outfits! Unlike your fellow hikers you must be a couple biggrin.gif Great trip! Glad you found the safer Ragman route on your descent.

Sadie's Driver
Sadie's Driver

Sadie's Driver
Sadie's Driver
PostMon Sep 01, 2014 4:01 pm 
ree wrote:
shakehead.gif shakehead.gif shakehead.gif There's this great jump you should try, over here... yeah, it only looks like 1,000' drop, but it'll make a great picture. C'mon, try it!
Deb - He was a German . . . what do you expect?? dizzy.gif lol.gif winksmile.gif

Four-paw buddy lets me tag along!
Roly Poly

Roly Poly
PostTue Sep 02, 2014 12:23 pm 
Sierra scrambling is tougher than it looks, smile.gif . I always got the feeling that some huge boulder was going to come down on me. eek.gif So, which hotel did you stay at in Mammoth Lakes?

whitebark

whitebark
PostTue Sep 02, 2014 3:55 pm 
Interesting hike to North Peak! It looks like the Conness Glacier, the northernmost named glacier in the Sierra, has almost melted away, but it is still managing to tint some of the lakes with rock milk.