Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Trail car? Would you buy it?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic

Would you buy it?
Yes!
11%
 11%  [ 3 ]
Perhaps
7%
 7%  [ 2 ]
Not likely
25%
 25%  [ 7 ]
No way
55%
 55%  [ 15 ]
Total Votes : 27

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostWed Sep 10, 2014 12:41 pm 
Well no, I wouldnt by that thing. I did buy my diesel Jeep liberty for hiking.

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?
PostWed Sep 10, 2014 9:18 pm 
coldrain108 wrote:
PS - my mechanic is a wizard and keeps my trusty steed in tip-top shape.
He has an easy job. Those first generation 4-runners were nearly bulletproof and dead simple to work on. There are still lots of them on the road and there is a huge aftermarket for them. They are the same as the pickup trucks of the same years mechanically, so parts are plentiful and dirt cheap. Love those things, and one of these days I'll get off my lazy ass and finish the last few things I need to do to get my '84 pickup running.
Oh, one thought - maybe take your rotor with you instead of your coil wire. A spark plug wire can be pressed into service as a coil wire and the engine will still run well enough for a thief to drive it away on 3 cylinders.

boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker

boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker
PostThu Sep 11, 2014 10:48 am 
Bedivere wrote:
Love those things, and one of these days I'll get off my lazy ass and finish the last few things I need to do to get my '84 pickup running.
just seems to me.... If you are going to be bragging up how reliable and easy and great a vehicle is as a trailhead vehicle, it should at least be running....... moon.gif

friluftsliv
Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?
PostThu Sep 11, 2014 1:35 pm 
boot up wrote:
Bedivere wrote:
Love those things, and one of these days I'll get off my lazy ass and finish the last few things I need to do to get my '84 pickup running.
just seems to me.... If you are going to be bragging up how reliable and easy and great a vehicle is as a trailhead vehicle, it should at least be running....... moon.gif
LOL, yeah, I suppose. Thing is, these vehicles are 30 years old now and nothing's perfect. Nothing lasts forever. But, if you have or can find one that's in good running condition it's very likely to stay that way and even when something inevitably breaks parts are cheap, plentiful, and easy to replace. I bought mine with a worn out engine. After 260K miles and obvious signs the previous owners had no idea what they were doing when working on it (every gasket leaked and the oil filter had been put on so tightly that it was partially crushed and had a hole in the housing) I don't think that was so bad. I'm now putting a completely rebuilt engine in it and only have a few things left to do before it's ready to fire up again. There is a reason that even after 30 years you still see these trucks/4Runners everywhere. I kind of wish I'd bought a 4Runner instead of a pickup - the rear seats would be very handy.

Pef

Pef
PostThu Sep 11, 2014 2:07 pm 
Pros: Forward looking design, lots of space, durably built, economical, environmentally friendly, practical, maneuverable, good handling, kid friendly. Cons: Never getting laid again, dying a virgin.

Voxxjin
made of hamburger

Voxxjin
made of hamburger
PostThu Sep 11, 2014 4:03 pm 
NO for the reasons others have said, it is an URBAN car. Not designed for some of the trailhead roads.

Cry 'Havoc!' and let slip the dogs of war
ejain

ejain
PostThu Sep 11, 2014 4:22 pm 
Looks good, plenty of space for your pack goats.

NacMacFeegle

NacMacFeegle
PostThu Sep 11, 2014 5:53 pm 
I love my 2000 (2004? I forget.) Subaru Forester. It's the perfect trailhead vehicle; good gas mileage (26mpg), decent clearance, and not overly flashy. That said, my dream car is a 1940s Willys Jeep!

Read my hiking related stories and more at http://illuminationsfromtheattic.blogspot.com/
Frosty

Frosty
PostFri Sep 12, 2014 7:53 am 
Yes, the extra space up front reminded me of the days of hauling milk goats and bags of grain in my old VW beetle... The retractable rear window is definitely a paved road only feature. I remember some long ago vehicle- maybe a Blazer- with the roll down rear window. Dirt would get down and make it hard to get the window lowered. Had our first frost this week and put on the rear defrost in my new rav4, it didn't seem to be working- until I put the rear wiper on- it was just dust from gravel roads. clown.gif

Frosty, Lucky enough to live where it snows in the winter! smile.gif
Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?
PostFri Sep 12, 2014 11:16 am 
NacMacFeegle wrote:
That said, my dream car is a 1940s Willys Jeep!
If everyone drove those to the trailheads the instances of trailhead break-ins would be eliminated as there's nothing to break into! lol.gif

NacMacFeegle

NacMacFeegle
PostFri Sep 12, 2014 1:26 pm 
Bedivere wrote:
NacMacFeegle wrote:
That said, my dream car is a 1940s Willys Jeep!
If everyone drove those to the trailheads the instances of trailhead break-ins would be eliminated as there's nothing to break into! lol.gif
Exactly! up.gif

Read my hiking related stories and more at http://illuminationsfromtheattic.blogspot.com/
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostFri Sep 12, 2014 1:49 pm 
They are easy to steal, however. tongue.gif

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn