Forum Index > Trip Reports > South Creek Butte 7700' - Mother Lode 7905' (Sawtooth W.)
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostWed Sep 17, 2014 11:15 am 
Location : W of Twisp, Wa. Access : SR 153 > Twisp River Rd. > South Creek TH Maps : GTM - Stehekin, WA - TOPO Stats : 15 mi, 6900' r/t
South Creek Butte - Motherlode via South Creek
South Creek Butte - Motherlode via South Creek
For many years Steve and I had wanted to get on Crescent Mountain up Twisp River Rd. in the Sawtooth Wilderness. Finally, it all came together. Crescent is a huge and rugged mountain around seven miles long and a little over two miles wide with a lot of relief and many sub peaks and lakes, an abandoned lookout, as well as old gold mines. We decided to come up the South Creek trail and head up the path of least resistance following a skinny ridge between the outflow of South Lake and Lake 6768' which was heavily forested and steep but got us into the nice basin beside Lake 6768'. We setup camp and rested and while I was feeling spent, Steve was ready for South Creek Butte, so after some electrolyte hydration and energy snacks we were on our way up South Creek Butte's Western flank which was a real pile of loose scree and talus all the way to the top. I did feel better the closer we got to the summit. I heard Steve say, "Oh, man !", as he looked down the ridge and across over to Crescent Mountain which didn't really resemble what we had imagined from the topographic maps or Google Earth. I think we knew we didn't want to follow the crappy ridge over to Crescent and looking at the East flank that appeared like the best, safest scramble route, but that was fairly steep with the same loose crud as we were on, but it looked like the best way, there was even a small rivulet of water entering a tarn in a basin several thousand feet below us which would be approachable from an open area off the South Creek trail. So looking at Crescent as a ridge scramble looked to long, to loose, to narrow, and exposed. Instead of a sloping ridge to the summit it was more of a three pronged look with the middle being the summit of Crescent.
Forested ridge
Forested ridge
Motherlode comes into view as we near the basin.
Motherlode comes into view as we near the basin.
East side of Twisp Mountain.
East side of Twisp Mountain.
Steve nearing South Creek Butte summit.
Steve nearing South Creek Butte summit.
On the summit of South Creek Butte 7700'
On the summit of South Creek Butte 7700'
Crescent
Crescent
Gilbert
Gilbert
We did enjoy some fantastic views and Steve finally got up to the South Creek Lookout which he wanted to do. He even tracked the old trail up to the lookout from South Creek.
Looking down South Creek Buttes ridge at Motherlode.
Looking down South Creek Buttes ridge at Motherlode.
Stiletto (center)
Stiletto (center)
Louis
Louis
Oval
Oval
Bonanza
Bonanza
Eventually we headed back down to camp, darkness comes early now, but the sky was clear and full of stars, and a small camp fire made for a place to rest, talk, and dry out some of my clothes. Hot days and cold nights. It never did freeze, but I enjoyed my Pomer Hoit 0 degree bag and xtherm mattress as I fell a sleep listening to the Lumineers.
Lake 6768' basecamp
Lake 6768' basecamp
I love the backcountry mornings and that early cup of coffee, we had a quick breakfast, gathered up our summit packs and were off following a very old mining road / path up the SE flank of Mother Lode (highest point on Crescent Mountain) to a point where we could get around some cliff bands then headed nearly straight up steep loose and deep scree and talus with some occasional slab rock towards the ridge top. We were in the early morning shade and remember thinking how hot this would be in full sunshine which I am not so tolerant of anymore. Just below the ridgeline we arced to the E heading for the highpoint and just as we arrived so did the sun. The views were great and very expansive, so many peaks, ridges, valleys, glaciers etc..., very nice. We rested and enjoyed them for a while.
Early morning on top of Motherlode 7905' the highpoint on Crescent Mountain.
Early morning on top of Motherlode 7905' the highpoint on Crescent Mountain.
Switchblade
Switchblade
Tower and Golden Horn
Tower and Golden Horn
Spectacle Buttes
Spectacle Buttes
Lincoln Butte (front center)
Lincoln Butte (front center)
Crescent from Motherlode
Crescent from Motherlode
We cautiously descended the loose crud which your feet could surf in at times, and which would form tiny slides down the mountain. I dropped down all the way to the mining path and back to camp while Steve traversed over to a Pass just to the West and checked out a mine as well as getting some views and photo's of Beaner Lake.
Steve descending the loose crud on Motherlodes flank.
Steve descending the loose crud on Motherlodes flank.
Eventually we were packed up and headed back down between the lake outflows to the trail and out. The South Creek trail is in excellent shape, 3-4 streams crossing the trail have water access. A large part of the trail and the ridge route were under forest canopy. Thankful for that.
Steve descendig the ridge from the basin down to the trail.
Steve descendig the ridge from the basin down to the trail.
Color changes a long the South Creek trail.
Color changes a long the South Creek trail.
Awesome
Awesome
Bonanza and Glacier
Bonanza and Glacier
Eldorado and
Eldorado and
Lake 6768 and basin we camped in.
Lake 6768 and basin we camped in.
Looking down ridge North at Motherlode and Crescent
Looking down ridge North at Motherlode and Crescent
Looking East across South Creek Basin at Mt. Gibbs, Louis, Rennie, Reynolds, Oval etc...
Looking East across South Creek Basin at Mt. Gibbs, Louis, Rennie, Reynolds, Oval etc...
Looking N-NW from Motherlode
Looking N-NW from Motherlode
Looking W-NW from South Butte
Looking W-NW from South Butte
Name those peaks.
Name those peaks.
Silverstar from the South
Silverstar from the South
Stiletto Lake surrounded by  Stiletto, Jack-knife, Switchblade etc...
Stiletto Lake surrounded by Stiletto, Jack-knife, Switchblade etc...
Stiletto to Copper Pass from Motherlode
Stefan wrote a good TR of a route they did coming up a NE gully onto Crescent, running the ridge up Crescent, over to South Creek Butte, Motherlode, then rappelling down to Beaner Lake and back which can be found on this site.

Living in the Anthropocene
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Get Out and Go

Get Out and Go
PostThu Sep 18, 2014 6:43 pm 
I can see the off-trail taken from Stiletto Lake to Copper Pass last year. up.gif It's looking dry and brown out there now. Typical Wildernessed report on under-used destinations. I like it. tongue.gif

"These are the places you will find me hiding'...These are the places I will always go." (Down in the Valley by The Head and The Heart) "Sometimes you're happy. Sometimes you cry. Half of me is ocean. Half of me is sky." (Thanks, Tom Petty)
wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostFri Sep 19, 2014 7:41 am 
We had a unique vantage point. The ground vegetation was just starting to change. Hot days and cold nights. What a hide out.

Abert

Abert
PostFri Sep 19, 2014 8:12 am 
Another great addition to the Widernessed Hiking Guide. The last couple of years Crescent has been the "next on the list of places to go if I stay one more day" for me on hiking trips up the Twisp River. I was probably just waiting for a trip report from you to provide some necessary guidance.

MLHSN
What goes here?????

MLHSN
What goes here?????
PostFri Sep 19, 2014 8:45 am 
up.gif

wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostFri Sep 19, 2014 9:21 am 
Thanks Abert Crescent itself could be done by following the outflow of the tarn that drains across the South Creek trail uphill to it's East flank then up. You could do South Creek Butte from there also. You could do all three of the peaks in there but the Ridge is a broken up pile so you would have to side Hill a lot of loose stuff. I don't tolerate heat very well anymore so doing all three in full sun would be to much for me. Looking back at the pic of Crescent from Mother Lode it lays back nicely. The lake basin is a much more aesthetically pleasing area. I will probably go back in and do Crescent at some point.

HitTheTrail

HitTheTrail
PostFri Sep 19, 2014 10:44 am 
Great effort and beta par excellence. up.gif up.gif