Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Surveillance Nation could get more Big Brotherish
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
hiker1

hiker1
PostMon Sep 22, 2014 12:47 pm 
Tor users could be FBI's main target if legal power grab succeeds
Quote:
The US Department of Justice (DOJ) is proposing a power grab that would make it easier for domestic law enforcement to break into computers of people trying to protect their anonymity via Tor or other anonymizing technologies. That's according to a law professor and litigator who deals with constitutional issues that arise in espionage, cybersecurity and counterterrorism prosecutions. Ahmed Ghappour, a visiting professor at UC Hastings College of the Law, San Francisco, explained the potential ramifications of the legal maneuver in a post published last week. Concerns center around a DOJ proposal to amend Rule 41 of the Federal Rules of Criminal Procedure - the part that describes the authority necessary to issue a warrant in search and seizure - to lawfully achieve two law enforcement activities: 1. Piercing Tor, a free, open-source program that bestows online anonymity via a circuit of multilayered, encrypted connections routed through a worldwide volunteer network of servers, and 2. Ignoring borders and using the internet - now considered a "global commons" - in order to track down extraterritorial evidence. The latter would be similar to what it did in 2002, when an FBI agent accessed servers in Chelyabinsk, Russia, to seize evidence against Russians that was later used in their criminal trial. Russia's Federal Security Service subsequently filed criminal charges against the agent for trespassing on servers located within its borders.
Quote:
Just when you thought Surveillance Nation couldn't get any more Big Brotherish, this proposed amendment could cause a "radical departure" from current policy, wherein the US has, at least generally, adhered to international law, in which one country carrying out law enforcement activities in another, without its consent, is considered an invasion of sovereignty, Ghappour says:
Quote:
Overseas cyber operations will be unilateral and invasive; they will not be limited to matters of national security; nor will they be executed with the consent of the host country, or any meaningful coordination with the Department of State or other relevant agency.
Ghappour recommends the amendment is thoroughly deliberated with input between technologists, policy makers and lawyers before it's accepted. Beyond that, it's got to respect other states' sovereignty, and it must disallow weaponized software to establish remote access of target computers or drive-by malware downloads that infect computers indiscriminately, Ghappour said. If you'd like to comment on the public draft, the public has until 17 February 2015 to do so.

falling leaves / hide the path / so quietly ~John Bailey, "Autumn," a haiku year, 2001, as posted on oldgreypoet.com
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
wolffie

wolffie
PostTue Sep 23, 2014 10:42 am 
I going to have an RFID chip implanted in my brain because law-abiding people have nothing to fear from government surveillance, which after all is only to protect us. It's only natural that duly constituted law enforcement agencies should want to know where I am and what I'm thinking. It's no more invasive than, say, my dogs' microchips, or those tags ranchers put on livestock's ears. Why make such a fuss about it? Unless perhaps you have something to hide.

Some people have better things to do with their lives than walking the dog. Some don't.
cairn builder

cairn builder
PostTue Sep 23, 2014 5:22 pm 
A chicken in every pot, and a drone outside every window.

boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker

boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker
PostTue Sep 23, 2014 5:46 pm 
a great example of the Slippery Slope Theory at work. paranoid.gif

friluftsliv
coldrain108
Thundering Herd

coldrain108
Thundering Herd
PostWed Sep 24, 2014 12:40 pm 
wolffie wrote:
I going to have an RFID chip implanted in my brain because law-abiding people have nothing to fear from government surveillance, which after all is only to protect us. It's only natural that duly constituted law enforcement agencies should want to know where I am and what I'm thinking. It's no more invasive than, say, my dogs' microchips, or those tags ranchers put on livestock's ears. Why make such a fuss about it? Unless perhaps you have something to hide.
funny thing, my father-in-law was all in favor of this thinking while his team ran the show, now he is farting out of the other cheek since the evil ones are coming after him specifically. Silly how these knuckleheads (both libtards and contards) just can't see that regimes come and regimes go, but knee-jerk reactionary constitutional amendments stay.

Since I have no expectations of forgiveness, I don't do it in the first place. That loop hole needs to be closed to everyone.
markod72

markod72
PostWed Sep 24, 2014 2:20 pm 
The "if you've got nothing to hide than why worry?" way of thinking is frightening. Just remember when your favorite trail is in disrepair, our govt thinks its more important to pay a bunch of jack offs to keep track of people jacking off.

Schenk
Off Leash Man

Location: Traveling, with the bear, to the other side of the Mountain
Schenk
Off Leash Man
PostThu Sep 25, 2014 2:59 pm 
Uhmmm...since when does "Nothing to hide" mean a person is required to then make their activities in life public? What happened to "innocent until proven guilty"? Seems like some folks here subscribe to the "guilty until proven innocent" school. down.gif

Nature exists with a stark indifference to humans' situation.
Magellan
Brutally Handsome

Magellan
Brutally Handsome
PostThu Sep 25, 2014 10:49 pm 
Wolfiee doesn't believe that for a second. The government will not be satisfied until they have gps tracking in every ass.

Roly Poly

Roly Poly
PostFri Sep 26, 2014 10:19 am 
Very funny, Wolffie. You never fail to entertain. lol.gif Wish I had one tenth of your imagination and razor shap wit. up.gif