Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > PBS series The Roosevelts link for streaming.
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostWed Sep 24, 2014 10:10 pm 
I have been watching the PBS series online this past week and it's so outstanding that I wanted to post a link to the website for online viewing. Unfortunately, this is only good for the next few days. There are seven parts and each one is about two hours long--so it's a long haul. But if you are a history buff and enjoy late nineteenth and early twentieth century American history, then this is for you. The Theodore Roosevelt family and the Franklin Delano Roosevelts were related, but sometimes at odds with each other. The stories are presented well by historians, biographers and participants. Great narration by Peter Coyote and quotes by actors/actresses. I would think eventually that this would be available on DVD from the library in the future. ~z Here's an introductory clip:

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
NacMacFeegle

NacMacFeegle
PostThu Sep 25, 2014 10:02 am 
I watched the first episode when it aired; it's a pretty great documentary! up.gif I found it interesting how the political issues of today are so closely related to those of the time of when Theodore Roosevelt took office, and how he defied party lines, stamping out the rampant corruption. The Roosevelt's were truly among the greatest presidents we have ever had.

Read my hiking related stories and more at http://illuminationsfromtheattic.blogspot.com/
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostThu Sep 25, 2014 10:53 am 
Sure are, if you're into folks whose ideas had Mussolini supporting them. wink.gif Greatest necessitates a baseline, and for some things, there is little doubt this clown was the 'greatest'. I look forward to checking out the series, I'm very interested in how they present both Roosevelts.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
reststep

reststep
PostMon Sep 29, 2014 7:09 pm 
Bummer, They don't seem to be available any longer. I watched parts 1 through 5 but missed 6 and 7. Does anyone know if these are still online somewhere?

"The mountains are calling and I must go." - John Muir
zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostMon Sep 29, 2014 9:46 pm 
reststep, not sure where you are, but I checked the Seattle Public Library. They have 30 copies of the DVD and currently there are 297 holds already. It seems like forever, but if you are a member go ahead and put a hold on it. You should have it in a few weeks. And of course it's available online via PBS or Amazon, etc. Great film, great story and quite moving at times. I found it very inspiring. ~z

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostTue Sep 30, 2014 7:24 am 
Great series about three of the greatest Americans. MG's comment is what I expect from him. Of course, the facts are that FDR was essential in saving civilization from the tyranny of Mussolini, Hitler and Hirohito.

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostTue Sep 30, 2014 10:13 am 
I'm more than glad to be consistent, Big Steve. An interesting turn of events leading to making war with those who admired his goals and methods, not to mention his exemplification of them with things like the NRA, but if obvious implications of these facts can be shoved into the memory hole, why, Roosevelt was a real saint. I haven't had a chance to watch this, but I definitely will.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostWed Oct 01, 2014 7:32 am 
MtnGoat wrote:
making war with those who admired his goals and methods, not to mention his exemplification of them with things like the NRA
dizzy.gif dizzy.gif dizzy.gif dizzy.gif dizzy.gif dizzy.gif dizzy.gif dizzy.gif dizzy.gif dizzy.gif dizzy.gif dizzy.gif dizzy.gif dizzy.gif dizzy.gif dizzy.gif dizzy.gif dizzy.gif dizzy.gif dizzy.gif dizzy.gif dizzy.gif dizzy.gif dizzy.gif dizzy.gif dizzy.gif

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostWed Oct 01, 2014 8:12 am 
You could triple down on the emojies and you'd still wind up bereft of a actual argument concerning things like the attempt to cartelize American industry by federal order.

gb

gb
PostWed Oct 01, 2014 9:10 am 
MtnGoat wrote:
You could triple down on the emojies and you'd still wind up bereft of a actual argument concerning things like the attempt to cartelize American industry by federal order.
If one thing doesn't work (and it doesn't)…simply try another unrelated political vent. I bet you missed the documentary which was educational and was the topic of this post to begin with.

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostWed Oct 01, 2014 11:22 am 
I'm not sure what's not 'working' or 'is working', but it's rather disingenuous to suddenly worry about politics when the OP concerns a documentary centered on political careers, the lives of politicians, and their interactions with politics. It's interesting that dealing the cards in the OP is fine, but following the cards led is not if the direction isn't backslapping the OP. A string of emojies isn't content or ideas, it's emoting in place of it. For some that's enough when the ideas run out. Nope, haven't seen it yet. Don't have TV. Do have interweb though, I'll be checking it out. I'm sure it's very educational as noted, and that's worthwhile.