Forum Index > Pacific NW History > Queets Valley history - Thursday, October 23, 2014
Previous :: Next Topic  
Ski
><((((>

Ski
><((((>
PostWed Oct 19, 2016 9:45 am 
Reply to topic Reply with quote
^ Just a wild guess, but from the comments in the narratives of Henry and Maude Kittredge (recorded by an NPS ranger), I would guess any AWS "visitors" would have been staying on the John Andrews place, not his brother Vic's.
Access to the site, however, would have been via Vic's place; the trail up to Kloochman took off from the "Big Fir" trail (shown as a short spur off the main trail on your first map above) right where it makes that turn to the left (west) - from there it crossed Coal Creek and zig-zagged up the ridge spur to the lookout.

I think the photo of the woman standing out in front of house - the one with the two cement gate posts - is the original house - not sure. Compare structure with the other photo showing two houses.
The color photo of the partially-collapsed barn was provided by V. Heemstra and should be credited to her.

Eric Willhite, on his AWS site wrote:
Todays topo still shows the opening of Andrews Lower Field in the bottom of Section 27

John Andrews had it cleared to almost 30 acres. Sallie Williams' "A Survey of Abandoned Homesteads in the Queets Valley" (1975) put it at 29. The forest has encroached on the clearing significantly, but it still shows up clearly looking at "Google Earth". Note that the USGS topographical you used (from Wray's narrative) also shows a tiny clearing at Vic Andrew's place, not much of which remains - see photos in report here.

That's an old (1958 or 1959) USGS topo that never got updated other than for the changes in the streambed - the rest of the features shown are pretty much the same as shown on earlier maps.

--------------
"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. 
I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Send e-mail Reply to topic Reply with quote
  Display:     All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Forum Index > Pacific NW History > Queets Valley history - Thursday, October 23, 2014
  Happy Birthday Mark Griffith, manakiah, jfstofiel!
Jump to:   
Search this topic: