Forum Index > Trip Reports > Yellow Aster Butte weekend 9/27-9/28/14
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
the Zachster

the Zachster
PostMon Oct 06, 2014 8:57 pm 
Well technically, we never actually went up the Butte but during this backpacking trip we were pretty much staring at it all weekend. Somehow we were able to entice Hikingqueen away from Mt. Rainier for a weekend hockeygrin.gif It was another one of those perfect fall weekends that we've been having. Perfect temps. Perfect views. Perfect company. Fall is an awesome time of year to visit YAB. Partly because the snow often lingers late (we never got in last year due to persistent snow). But mostly because the fall colors here are rich and beautiful. And this year we were surprised and delighted to find delicious blueberries all along the way. Hiking in...
One of the highlights for me this year was watching Janelle experience the views into the basin for the first time. It is still exciting for me every time I see it...so beautiful. All I remember is Janelle exclaiming HOLY CRAP!!! about a hundred times!
After descending into the basin, it took a little while to find a suitable camp because the ground was really saturated and soggy in most places. But after finding a good spot, setting up camp and taking a brief alpine nap...we grabbed our cameras and wondered around, exploring the many tarns. Clouds were lingering over the Border Peaks, obscuring the summits.
Back to camp for dinner and some more shooting as the evening light changed the surrounding colors...
Although it felt chilly as we went to bed, all slept well in warm bags and tents. It was wonderfully calm and quiet. A very peaceful evening. The next morning Janelle and I got up to do a little exploring before she had to leave. We wandered up toward the bump that's on the opposite side of the basin from Tomyhoi. More great blueberries for breakfast! More tarns and various things to shoot...
We returned to camp to shoot some more. This tarn was our dining room. Quite lovely.
Janelle and Cedar did some final bonding...
And we said good-bye as Janelle headed home.
Since Mark and I still had all day to roam, we opted to head up toward Tomyhoi. Not enough time, gear or interest in summiting.. but it's a fabulous place to soak in the views of Baker, Shuksan, YAB, Larabee and the border peaks and beyond! And of course, more tarns!
Really wanting to stay for a few more days...we reluctantly headed back down to pack up and head home. Facing a work week after a weekend like this is always so much easier. So grateful for this fall weather that true nwhikers dream about... PS Here's the Butte that we didn't hike ... hockeygrin.gif

"May I always be the kind of person my dog thinks I am"
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Sadie's Driver
Sadie's Driver

Sadie's Driver
Sadie's Driver
PostMon Oct 06, 2014 9:29 pm 
the Zachster wrote:
All I remember is Janelle exclaiming HOLY CRAP!!!
eek.gif eek.gif stun.gif stun.gif HOLY CRAP!!! Absolutely stunning! There are at least 15 calendars photos there - Tom will add three more months just for you!!!! Lovely.

Four-paw buddy lets me tag along!
Jetlag

Jetlag
PostMon Oct 06, 2014 9:32 pm 
Beautifully photographed! Great area for fall excursions.

Mtn Dog
Technohiker

Mtn Dog
Technohiker
PostMon Oct 06, 2014 9:50 pm 
This has to be one of your favorite places....having been there at least twice in just the last few years. I can see why.

Footprints on the sands of time will never be made sitting down.
zhenya

zhenya
PostMon Oct 06, 2014 10:49 pm 
Great photos and a fantastic trip! We were the guys camped out a hundred yards south-ish of you, and I think we ran into each other as you were coming out of the basin up the first section of the Tomyhoi trail. You guys made it a lot further up that thing than we did. I'd heard about the area and knew of its reputation as a late season destination, but was nevertheless amazed by its beauty and the exploration and photographic opportunities that the meadow and tarn area offered. I was enamored with Shuksan and the scene beneath it, and this one viewpoint into the Chilliwack Valley. Really bummed that I didn't see much of the glowing red Border Peaks and Larrabee, but it's very cool to see some of the scenery that we missed and you captured.
Among the meadows, tarns, and old gneiss beneath Yellow Aster Butte.
Among the meadows, tarns, and old gneiss beneath Yellow Aster Butte.

Hikingqueen

Hikingqueen
PostTue Oct 07, 2014 7:57 am 
It was a spectacular area, i'm still dreaming of those tarns and hills to explore! Here's my pics...I can't wait to go back and stay 2 nights! Thank you for showing me this area!
Above our camp site
Above our camp site
Evening glow
Evening glow
Dinner location
Dinner location
Yellow Aster Butte Overnight sunset

joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostTue Oct 07, 2014 10:45 am 
Great report, thanks. Nice to see how the colors are progressing up there. I still have some shreds of the glow that I gained from spending two nights up there in early September. And no matter how far you go up Tomyhoi, you gain some really nice views and fun alpine ridge romping. For comparison, here's how it looked on a MUCH colder weekend almost exactly 5 years ago
watching-sunset
watching-sunset

Gabigabs
Trail Breaker

Gabigabs
Trail Breaker
PostTue Oct 07, 2014 2:34 pm 
Amazing photos. We were camping just about half mile up the hill towards Tomyhoi. Maybe you already visited that area, if not, keep it in mind for next time. There's lots to explore there too.

Life is simple... Eat, Sleep, Hike!
the Zachster

the Zachster
PostTue Oct 07, 2014 8:32 pm 
Thanks for your nice comments, all! Gabigabs: Sorry we missed you! We explored up there on Sunday...fabulous views. Did you find a good tarn for water? There was some great running water higher up. Maybe we'll camp up there next year... joker: BRRRRRR! Beautiful shot! Janelle: thanks for the pics! LOVE the stemming marmot shots! zhenya: wave.gif No trip is complete without a nwhiker sighting! MtnDog: Absolutely. It never fails. It's also a really fun trip to take friends on. A relatively easy hike with unbelievable scenery.

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostTue Oct 07, 2014 9:17 pm 
Hikingqueen wrote:
Nice stemming moves! I haven't seen a marmot do that before.

Magellan
Brutally Handsome

Magellan
Brutally Handsome
PostTue Oct 07, 2014 10:36 pm 
Absolutely gorgeous! up.gif I was hoping to get there this coming weekend but it's not looking good.
What the heck is this?

tmatlack

tmatlack
PostWed Oct 08, 2014 4:31 am 
Zachster and Cedar, et al, Wonderful photos and it is really hard to beat this time of year in the mountains. And that Cedar dawg....dude...such dignity and nobility...even when he is using a rock for his pillow! Tom

the Zachster

the Zachster
PostWed Oct 08, 2014 7:18 am 
Magellan: I'm not sure what it used to be before it dried up, some kind of daisy maybe? This view was from above so you can only see the heads. They are actually about 12 inches tall. Pretty even at the end! Tom: You have to be Cedar's #1 dawg fan! winksmile.gif Thanks!