Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > I can see for miles and miles...
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon
PostMon Oct 06, 2014 10:25 pm 
Driving east on I-90 this afternoon, I stopped at one of my favorite "Mt Rainier viewing spots": Ryegrass summit, but due to the sun setting in the background and the clouds/haze, the view wasn't great so I motored on. As I approached Ritzville, I looked in the mirror and saw it in sillouette just short of mile marker 215. Cool, so I stopped to take a shot with the 300mm lens. Motored on some more and again (I think I) got a glimpse at mile marker 221, 4 or 5 miles west of Ritzville. I could have stopped and confirmed with the binoculars, but it was getting dark. Google maps says the straightline distance is 160 miles. Now I have to see if I can best that.

"Out, OUT you demons of Stupidity"! - St Dogbert, patron Saint of Technology
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
tmatlack

tmatlack
PostTue Oct 07, 2014 3:53 am 
Moon, Good catch. I know that stretch well. When I 1st moved here 27 years ago I hiked up Mt. Pilchuck with a good pair of binoculars and I am 95% certain I could get a small focus on Mt. Hood east of Portland. It was just a pinprick but the morning was crisp and cool and 100% haze free. Since then, there is a persistent smog/haze along I-5 looking south, even on clear non inversion days. Mt. St. Helens is visible, as are the skyscrapers in Seattle, but that's about it. Sorta sad. Tom

gb

gb
PostTue Oct 07, 2014 6:55 am 
Over the years I've seen a couple of photographs from the summit of Mt. Rainier in which Mt. Shasta was visible. Lot better now than it was when the Washington, later Oregon and California forest fire smoke made it difficult to see 30 miles this summer.

touron

touron
PostTue Oct 07, 2014 7:08 am 
It is good to know there is scenery around Ritzville. hmmm.gif up.gif up.gif

Touron is a nougat of Arabic origin made with almonds and honey or sugar, without which it would just not be Christmas in Spain.
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostTue Oct 07, 2014 7:43 am 
The campground host at Lost Lake--the Lost Lake by Chesaw, was from Ritzville and was very nice.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
MikeBeebe
Seeking the Ur

MikeBeebe
Seeking the Ur
PostTue Oct 07, 2014 9:18 am 
moonspots wrote:
Motored on some more and again (I think I) got a glimpse at mile marker 221, 4 or 5 miles west of Ritzville. I could have stopped and confirmed with the binoculars, but it was getting dark. Google maps says the straightline distance is 160 miles. Now I have to see if I can best that.
A friend of mine showed me a photo he took back in the late 90's of Pikes Peak: it was taken from California. Apparently, if the conditions are -perfect-, you can see Pikes Peak from one small part Route 395.

lookout bob
WTA proponent.....

lookout bob
WTA proponent.....
PostTue Oct 07, 2014 1:18 pm 
photo?

"Altitude is its own reward" John Jerome ( from "On Mountains")
mbtigger
Sherpa Da

mbtigger
Sherpa Da
PostTue Oct 07, 2014 3:24 pm 
There used to be places here in the tri-cities to view mount adams. There may still be, but housing and air quality are lowering the number of viwing locations.

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon
PostTue Oct 07, 2014 7:41 pm 
touron wrote:
It is good to know there is scenery around Ritzville. hmmm.gif up.gif up.gif
lol.gif I'll post a pic when I get home.

tmatlack

tmatlack
PostWed Oct 08, 2014 4:41 am 
Moon, Sorry to detour your thread but Holy Earth Curve, Batman, Mt. Shasta from atop Rainier??? Pikes Peak, CO, from California???? I don't know geometry but doesn't the curve of the earth preclude vistas of that distance?? No matter how high you are???? Tom

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon
PostWed Oct 08, 2014 7:24 am 
tmatlack wrote:
Moon, Sorry to detour your thread but Holy Earth Curve, Batman, Mt. Shasta from atop Rainier??? Pikes Peak, CO, from California???? I don't know geometry but doesn't the curve of the earth preclude vistas of that distance?? No matter how high you are???? Tom
No worries, mate! I agree, Shasta from Rainier seems VERY unlikely, and Pike's Peak from anywhere in California, even more improbable. I'd say that even *if* the sight distance were mathematically possible (and I don't believe that it is), to be able to distinguish one peak on the horizon from another would be so "close to impossible" as to be impossible. There was a thread on Summitpost about a year or so back on this same topic with some resources cited to backup/refute such claims. Now we've really piqued my interest in the subject. If I make another trip out this way this fall/winter I'll see how far away I really can see the peak of Rainier from I-90. Due to the varying elevation in the area around Ritzville, I'd guess that the overpass at exit 226 might be the easternmost limit. If not 226, then 221. The conditions that made visibility (and identification) possible this time were that the sun was well below the horizon leaving the silhouette easily visible as compared to trying to pick the white peak out of the haze when illuminated from behind me as is often the case.

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostWed Oct 08, 2014 7:29 am 
It was probably Jefferson not Shasta.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Token Civilian

Token Civilian
PostWed Oct 08, 2014 10:43 am 
The formula is pretty easy. For an observer at height H (in miles) above the surface, the distance to the horizon of a perfect sphere is: Distance = Square root of [(Earth Radius + Height)^2-(Earth Radius)^2] To see some object at some height beyond, do the same calculation for the height of the object and add that distance. Google says the earth radius is 3959 miles. So, if one was on top of Rainier, at 14,409 feet, the distance to the horizon at zero elevation is 147.0 miles. For Shasta, the Google says it's 14,180', so the very tip would be visible from a person at the surface 145.8 miles away. So, if one had a totally clear light of sight with no intervening objects, the furthest away one could see Shasta from the top of Rainier would be 147.0 + 145.8 miles = 292.8 miles. Using Google Maps, I drew a straight line from Mt. Rainier to Mt Shasta. It says the line is 377 miles.....and it goes right over Crater Lake. Shasta can not be visible from Rainier.

Get Out and Go

Get Out and Go
PostWed Oct 08, 2014 4:58 pm 
I've seen Shasta from Cooper Spur on Mt. Hood. I can't seem to bring up my Flickr photos, but half-way down this TR you can see a couple of shots I took. Shasta from Hood tongue.gif From Port Angeles, on crystal winter days, you can see the mainland B.C. coast range poking up behind Victoria and Vancouver Island. winksmile.gif One can also pick out the form of Big Jim from quite a ways out there on I-90 mid-state. up.gif By the way Moonspots, you forgot the soundtrack. doof.gif I Can See For Miles

"These are the places you will find me hiding'...These are the places I will always go." (Down in the Valley by The Head and The Heart) "Sometimes you're happy. Sometimes you cry. Half of me is ocean. Half of me is sky." (Thanks, Tom Petty)
mehitabel
archyologist

mehitabel
archyologist
PostWed Oct 08, 2014 8:13 pm 
In doing the geometry, you also have to consider the refraction of light by the atmosphere. Some approximate formula for the distance to the visible horizon as a function of height are given here http://mintaka.sdsu.edu/GF/explain/atmos_refr/horizon.html

toujours gai toujours gai