Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > I can see for miles and miles...
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon
PostWed Oct 08, 2014 8:20 pm 
Get Out and Go wrote:
By the way Moonspots, you forgot the soundtrack. doof.gifI Can See For Miles
lol.gif Yeah, but it was in my head...does that count? Anyway, as promised, here's how it appeared using a 200 mm lens, hand held as carefully as I could: Mt Rainier as seen from (almost) Ritzville - (milemarker 214 1/2). My prior "best" (about 75 miles, I think): From Ryegrass Summit, west of Vantage on the Columbia River.

"Out, OUT you demons of Stupidity"! - St Dogbert, patron Saint of Technology
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
gb

gb
PostThu Oct 09, 2014 10:12 pm 
Wow, A lot of experts here. rolleyes.gif I'm impressed. The problem is I've seen a couple of photos of Mt. Shasta from Mt. Rainier, Google or no Google. One of them was displayed at the old REI store on Capitol Hill. It was a black and white. (Unless one of you knows better…..) It is fairly common to see Mt. Rainier from central Washington along I-90. I think the greatest distance view I've ever had was of the Grand Teton from Idaho along I-84. Don't recall where the view was from just that I was surprised.

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon
PostFri Oct 10, 2014 7:18 am 
gb wrote:
It is fairly common to see Mt. Rainier from central Washington along I-90.
Yup, I just discovered that, at least as far as Ritzville. I've seen it from Ryegrass Summit (and the first rest stop east of Moses Lake) for about as many years as I've been driving I-90 west of the 395 exit - maybe 12-13 years. Two things about this particular sighting caught my interest though: 1) That the topography of the area allowed a line of sight between where I was and the mountain (given the right atmospheric conditions), and 2) The atmospheric conditions that actually allowed me to see it were different than I had previously tried viewing under: the sunlight from sunset sillouetted it from behind instead of being illuminated from the sun to my back/left as it would in morning through early afternoon. Anyway, the whole experience quite interested me, having lived on the prairie for the past 40+ years where there is nothing penetrating the view of the horizon to observe in the first place. I'm re-discovering the PNW with "new eyes" now. I spent my first 18 years in Oregon, but with many years life experience behind me, it's great fun, like a kid with a new toy. Yee-haw!

"Out, OUT you demons of Stupidity"! - St Dogbert, patron Saint of Technology
gb

gb
PostFri Oct 10, 2014 8:53 am 
Besides having a lack of haze from pollution or smoke, the other atmospheric condition necessary for long distance views is low humidity. Probably the best would be when high pressure drops down from the north in Canada. Coming from over land there is usually very little humidity. Check out this image (which is going to change every 12 hours as the forecast is updated) from the Unisys version of the GFS relative humidity model. The very dark purple along the southern California/northern Mexico coast indicates low humidity and good viewing absent pollution:

tmatlack

tmatlack
PostSat Oct 11, 2014 3:16 am 
All, Yes, low humidity and lighting are key. The day I saw Hood from Pilchuck was crisp, clear, cool, and DRY. Also, and others may want to confirm this from other summits, the I-5 corridor south of Olympia...Chehalis/Centralia...has an almost permanent haze due to traffic exhaust(?) and topography(?)...maybe Cascade foothills and Willapa Hills? Tom