Forum Index > Trip Reports > Hoodoo Peak and Raven Ridge 10-5-14
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Matt Lemke
High on the Outdoors

Matt Lemke
High on the Outdoors
PostTue Oct 07, 2014 11:25 pm 
As I was driving back from Montana after finishing a long 3 day trip in the Beartooths, I decided to solo these 2 peaks. It was a beautiful day out and at 9am, after driving all night, I arrived at the Libby Lake TH. I made quick work of the trail to the small cabin where I left the trail, scrambled up to the ridge on Hoodoo and scrambled to the summit. I topped out just before noon. The larch trees were incredible...the most I had ever seen in color. This basin was literally filled with thousands of them! From the summit, views towards Oval and Star displayed many more golden larches flanking every peak I was able to see! After 15 minutes on top, I ran down the SE face of the mountain instead of returning down the ridge where the rocks were truck sized. I made it back to the cabin along the trail in 20 minutes and hiked the remainder of the trail to Libby Lake. From the lake, I located the talus gully giving access to the east-west oriented Raven Ridge. This 900 foot gully was filled with loose rock but after a half hour of thrashing my way up, trying to stay on more solid rock on the left side, I made the ridge and scrambled talus on the other side of the crest for a half mile or so to the higher east summit of Raven Ridge. Even though the USGS maps show the west summit to be higher, looking across the east summit is very obviously higher. The summit block of Raven Ridge had a nice, 1 move Class 4 spot. I spent a few minutes atop but the cold wind drove me down. I ran down the loose gully, knocking many rocks down in the process, then proceeded to run the 5 miles down the trail and made it back to the car at 3:30 PM...just 6.5 hours RT for both peaks! Photos below. Enjoy the larches smile.gif

The Pacific coast to the Great Plains = my playground!!! SummitPost Profile See my website at: http://www.lemkeclimbs.com
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Redwic
Unlisted Free Agent

Redwic
Unlisted Free Agent
PostWed Oct 08, 2014 4:40 am 
Nice job, Matt! up.gif up.gif up.gif Gorgeous colors this time of the year, with the golden larches and all.

60 pounds lighter but not 60 points brighter.
Jetlag

Jetlag
PostWed Oct 08, 2014 4:42 am 
Great to see these pictures after hiking through the Hoodoo Pass area a week and a half ago. The larches looks just as great as we found them. Any other hikers or climbers? Any wildlife?