Forum Index > Trip Reports > Icicle Ridge
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostTue Oct 07, 2014 9:59 am 
Looking for a dayhike with some views and exercise I talked Steve into doing a thru-hike of Icicle Ridge starting at the 4th Of July TH early and gaining nearly all of our elevation in the shade, we would hit the LO and traverse Icicle Ridge to the Icicle Ridge TH. The forecast was for full sun and 85 degree highs for Leavenworth, so my biggest concern was a water source. Steve has been up and through the area since either 1864 or 1964 and had always gotten water from the pipe near the upper trail junction. He was however hesitant to guarantee it would be flowing. I talked to several other people who had always seen it running even into November the latest they had been up there. Other sources further down the ridge were more questionable. With that information I packed a liter and counted on the sources, knowing it would be a quick, cool ascent, and that if there was no water we could descend back down the way we came up and eventually hit a water source. On the way up it was cool in the shade in the low 50's and we were sun free until near the top. As usual great views of the surrounding mountains and valleys. There was some color change, but most of the Larch was across the Icicle Valley and glowed in the morning sun. The trail was in decent shape with maybe 2-3 blow downs, but hey it was a trail so I can't complain.
Big Lou
Big Lou
Cannon
Cannon
Steve in some Fall color.
Steve in some Fall color.
Sherpa - Stuart
Sherpa - Stuart
Upon arriving at the pipe we found only dry vegetation so there was no way with a couple hundred ML. of water I was going to run the rest of the ridge and wish for another water source, so we decided to have lunch at the LO and then head back down 4th of July trail.
Cashmere from the LO
Cashmere from the LO
Dragontail, Colchuck, Argonaut, and the disappearing glaciers.
Dragontail, Colchuck, Argonaut, and the disappearing glaciers.
Lost World Plateau
Lost World Plateau
Icicle Ridge from near the LO on a blue sky, hot, October day.
Icicle Ridge from near the LO on a blue sky, hot, October day.
The Cradle
The Cradle
Grindstone
Grindstone
It was a gorgeous day, nearly as hot as a summer day as we made our way back down. My liter of Gatorade hit the spot when we took a break at the water source. Grinder on the knee's but at least hydrated. I drove through Leavenwoth and it was 85, 90 in Wenatchee. R/t 10 mi, 4700'
Looking across the Icicle Valley
Looking across the Icicle Valley
Looking up the Eightmile Creek Drainage.
Looking up the Eightmile Creek Drainage.
Mt. Cashmere ( foreground )
Mt. Cashmere ( foreground )

Living in the Anthropocene
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
HitTheTrail

HitTheTrail
PostTue Oct 07, 2014 12:56 pm 
Well heck, if I would have known you weren't going to run the entire ridge I would have accepted the offer to join you two jokers. Even in my post-op state of recovery. You are right, it looks pretty dry up there.

Chico

Chico
PostTue Oct 07, 2014 1:06 pm 
wildernessed wrote:
Steve has been up and through the area since either 1864 or 1964
Um, wouldn't he be dead by now? smile.gif smile.gif

wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostTue Oct 07, 2014 3:23 pm 
HitTheTrail wrote:
Well heck, if I would have known you weren't going to run the entire ridge I would have accepted the offer to join you two jokers. Even in my post-op state of recovery. You are right, it looks pretty dry up there.
Hit the Trail it would of been much easier to hike the ridge than to descend the trail down, different view angles the whole way, and a lot less knee impact wit only a few more miles. Both of us have thru-hiked the ridge before. It was close and a nice spot you should have joined us.

wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostTue Oct 07, 2014 3:26 pm 
Chico wrote:
wildernessed wrote:
Steve has been up and through the area since either 1864 or 1964
Um, wouldn't he be dead by now? smile.gif smile.gif
He is legend. prod.gif

GaliWalker
Have camera will use

GaliWalker
Have camera will use
PostTue Oct 07, 2014 4:48 pm 
The larch are looking mighty nice, especially in your "Lost World Plateau" photo. Also, I really liked the "Steve in some Fall color." photo. up.gif

'Gali'Walker => 'Mountain-pass' walker bobbi: "...don't you ever forget your camera!" Photography: flickr.com/photos/shahiddurrani
Magellan
Brutally Handsome

Magellan
Brutally Handsome
PostTue Oct 07, 2014 11:01 pm 
Love that hill. up.gif I saw water pouring out of I don't know where in 20 degree temperatures one spring. I'll guess ~5700 elevation. Is this the source you are talking about or are you referring to something close to the ridge?

wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostWed Oct 08, 2014 7:01 am 
Magellan wrote:
Love that hill. up.gif I saw water pouring out of I don't know where in 20 degree temperatures one spring. I'll guess ~5700 elevation. Is this the source you are talking about or are you referring to something close to the ridge?
I am not sure of the exact elevation, but it is at a higher elevation just to the left of the trail not far from the 4th of July / Icicle Ridge trail jct. First time I have not seen water running out of it, but I have never been up there this late in the year.