Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > best bike route from kenmore to bellevue?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
iron

iron
PostWed Oct 08, 2014 9:18 am 
so it looks like we'll be moving from seattle to kenmore. i work in bellevue (sadly) and like to bike to work. is anyone familiar with the best, least trafficked, but still direct, bike commute? these are the two viable options i see:

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Riverside Laker

Riverside Laker
PostWed Oct 08, 2014 11:29 am 
Can't comment on the part south of Hwy 520. But Juanita Dr is a way more enjoyable (albeit hillier) route than 100th.

pipedream

pipedream
PostWed Oct 08, 2014 12:39 pm 
Same thing Riverside Laker said - Juanita is a more enjoyable ride southbound, even though it's a bigger hill. It has wide shoulders and is a designated bicycle route (part of the Lk. Wash. Loop). 100th is a more reasonable northbound route, with a wide shoulder/pseudo-bike lane to the top of the hill around 145th, then it's pretty easy to ride at speed with traffic down to the BGT. It's a little tricky getting on the trail there, as the trail itself uses an underpass to avoid 96th... but you can cut through a gravel parking lot to the west side of that underpass without issue. South of 520, GMaps is correct. 112th is the best route to/from downtown Bellevue.

AlpineRose

AlpineRose
PostWed Oct 08, 2014 2:17 pm 
Can't comment on your direct commuting routes. Others have better beta. However, on days when you want a longer ride: travelling to Kenmore, you can work your way east over to West Lake Sammamish Parkway to Sammamish River Trail to BGT. Vice versa, travelling from Kenmore.

meandering Wa

meandering Wa
PostThu Oct 09, 2014 6:02 am 
I am certainly not a biker except for plodding old farte pleasure rides wouldn't the Sammish river / burke connect to 520 trail be faster safer and more pleasant? since you can go almost non-stop and without significant hill climb until 520, the slightly longer distance would be offset by the better non-stop rolling time

I'm Pysht

I'm Pysht
PostThu Oct 09, 2014 2:42 pm 
That stretch in Juanita on 98th/100th from about 116th to about 132nd can be a bit scary during the evening rush hours. I've been nearly clipped by a number of buses (grrr!). Especially bad in fall/winter/early spring when it's dark and raining a lot. It is more direct though, so it's enticing.

iron

iron
PostThu Oct 09, 2014 2:48 pm 
so, juanita drive it is. i generally like that road. worried about distracted drivers on corners though - like that councilman's kids that killed a cyclist while texting a few years ago (no charges.... somehow). meandering: is this the route you suggest? looks good, minus the 18.6 miles part which would somehow be 1.2 miles longer RT than my current commute from northgate...

Bogart

Bogart
PostThu Oct 09, 2014 8:11 pm 
Iron - Would not do Juanita northbound. There are a lot of streets that intersect on the descent back to 522, and can be a bit puckering. Think that a lady was killed 8-10 years back when someone pull out of a street or driveway making a right turn. The route on 100th is not bad - minus the section between Simonds and 132nd-ish. Much better northbound once you get past Simonds, and generally lower traffic. I would avoid your other route. It will take you past a couple of high schools in the morning. I have not ridden most of the sections on that one, however.

iron

iron
PostThu Oct 09, 2014 11:19 pm 
thanks for the info. on that descent, i'd probably just take up the full lane. it's only 1 minute long and i don't mind riding fast. my taillights are the brightest in all of seattle, so a driver would really have to be distracted to miss/hit me. we'll see how it goes.

meandering Wa

meandering Wa
PostFri Oct 10, 2014 6:54 am 
iron yes that is what I was suggesting almost flat the whole way, bikes and foot traffic only no road crossing until you get into redmond and connect to the 520 climb I figured the small extra distance would offset the hills and traffic plus safety particularly in the dark months

touron

touron
PostSun Oct 12, 2014 8:58 pm 
I think you need one of these.

Touron is a nougat of Arabic origin made with almonds and honey or sugar, without which it would just not be Christmas in Spain.
iron

iron
PostSun Oct 12, 2014 9:01 pm 
^ how do you find these things???!!!

touron

touron
PostSun Oct 12, 2014 9:10 pm 
I think I googled "water bike" or something like it because something like that just has to exist. Having worked in Totem Lake just up from Willows Road, the thought occurred to me of being able to ride a Sea Doo across Lake Washington and then up the Sammamish River, and then just biking up the hill. I would always beat traffic and have a fun commute to boot! biggrin.gif

Touron is a nougat of Arabic origin made with almonds and honey or sugar, without which it would just not be Christmas in Spain.
touron

touron
PostFri Oct 17, 2014 7:09 am 
eek.gif today's news they are using them in Dubai

contour5

contour5
PostFri Oct 17, 2014 12:14 pm 
Makes me shiver just thinking about crossing Lake Washington at 45 mph on a cold January morning on one of those things...