PostTue Sep 08, 2015 3:06 pm 
On the other hand, I like the Pianos in Parks program. smile.gif

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostTue Sep 08, 2015 3:45 pm 
yeah! cool idea! but you gotta wonder.... how would Angry Hiker react to finding a piano on top of Mailbox Peak? wink.gif

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostTue Sep 08, 2015 8:30 pm 
Ski wrote:
yeah! cool idea! but you gotta wonder.... how would Angry Hiker react to finding a piano on top of Mailbox Peak? wink.gif
Since it is well outside the wilderness boundary -- such an art project would be less problematic than the "Phone booth on Cave Ridge" But I think placement would require a heli rather than simply youthful enthusiasm.

Voxxjin
made of hamburger

Voxxjin
made of hamburger
PostTue Jun 14, 2016 7:25 am 
An update on Casey Nocket (aka creepytings): She pled guilty on seven counts. She has been sentenced to two years probation (during that time she is forbidden from entering NPS, Forest Service, BLM and Army Corps of Engineer lands). Also 200 hours of community service. At a later date they will determine the amount of restitution. http://trailmob.com/article/serial-national-parks-vandal-casey-nocket-sentenced Depending on the amount of restitution, I think she got off fairly easy.

Cry 'Havoc!' and let slip the dogs of war
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostTue Jun 14, 2016 10:20 am 
Voxxjin wrote:
Depending on the amount of restitution, I think she got off fairly easy.
As of 06/14/16 @ 10:15 PDT, two of the six comments posted so far below the article you've cited just above call for Casey L. Nocket being ordered to "clean up her own mess". It should be noted that will not happen. The National Park Service uses its own staff (or brings in outside professionals) to effect repairs on stuff like this, and it is not cheap. Unless an actual cost analysis was done and the dollars and man hours spent cleaning up her "art" have been tallied up, there is no way to know whether or not the amount of "restitution" ordered will actually cover the costs incurred repairing the damage she caused.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
RodF

RodF
PostTue Jun 14, 2016 3:09 pm 
Now if the arsonist who torched Falls Shelter in 2007 or the spray painters who vandalized the Spruce Railroad Trailhead sign in 2014 and graffiti artist who penned Occupy! slogans on cut logs along miles of the Enchanted Valley Trail in 2014 and so on would only brag about it on twitter...

"of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt" - John Muir "the wild is not the opposite of cultivated. It is the opposite of the captivated” - Vandana Shiva
Schroder

Schroder
PostTue Jun 14, 2016 3:53 pm 
Here's another article from the National Park Service: Update: Woman sentenced for vandalism in several National Park Service sites

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostWed Nov 13, 2019 11:17 am 
Ski, in an email sent to a small group of individuals, on Nov. 13, 2019 wrote:
A couple months ago you might have received a photo of a painted rock I found up on the Olympic Peninsula alongside a trail which had a note written on the back about “please post on Facebook”. Last week while walking on one of the trails at Pt. Defiance Park (just down the street from me) I found this little gem, as well as a painted Christmas tree ornament, both of them painted by “Bobby”. While Bobby is obviously quite capable with the medium he’s using, I am becoming increasingly concerned about this recent phenomena of “painted rocks” and other objects being left next to trails in public parks, which I seem to be finding more often these days. Not sure if there’s any solution to this, or if there’s really a clear answer to the question of “Is it art, or graffiti, or litter?”
John Cage, in 1966 wrote:
“Art, if you want a definition of it, is criminal action. It conforms to no rules. Not even its own. Anyone who experiences a work of art is as guilty as the artist. It is not a question of sharing the guilt. Each one of us gets all of it.”
Morgan B., in his response to my email of Nov. 13, 2019 wrote:
While the rock itself is art, its display in the gallery of nature is not up for the artist to decide. I can't hang a painting in the Louvre..
(* for reasons which should require no explanation, photos of the painted rocks are NOT being posted here. *)
box of rocks
box of rocks

Pahoehoe

Pahoehoe
PostWed Nov 13, 2019 1:59 pm 
In regards to the small painted rocks thing... Wilderness areas? No. National Parks? No. Front county, city and county parks? Heavily impacted areas such as mountain bike trails on timber land? Choose your battles.

Brushwork
Food truck

Brushwork
Food truck
PostWed Nov 13, 2019 6:50 pm 
Nice box of agates you’ve got there!

When I grow up I wanna play.