Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > School shooting in Marysville?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostFri Oct 24, 2014 12:00 pm 
I just got home from work. In turned on the tube and hear a school shooting in Marysville? Details.

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostFri Oct 24, 2014 12:41 pm 
Not another school shooting. bawl.gif Google shows Marysville-Pilchuck HS, multiple students shot, doesn't mention casualties other than the shooter, self inflicted.

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostFri Oct 24, 2014 12:47 pm 
The shooter, a freshman is dead. Three kids in critical condition.

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
suziq999

suziq999
PostFri Oct 24, 2014 12:52 pm 
komo news is saying 2 dead. Dear God.

Layback
Cascades Expatriate

Layback
Cascades Expatriate
PostFri Oct 24, 2014 8:19 pm 
I was headed southbound on I-5 through Everett a few min before 11 am. The call to 911 came at 10:49. There were so many police officers headed north on I-5 with their lights on, that I knew something was up. So I turned on the police scanner app on my iPhone. There was nothing on the state trooper signal. It was eerily silent. Scary stuff. Prayers for Marysville and all those affected.

meandering Wa

meandering Wa
PostSat Oct 25, 2014 6:54 am 
another huge impact to the larger community in the region. Many of the kids, region wide, showing their true values by supporting this schools. Their football opponent conceded their game, giving MP the championship. Kids from many schools are wearing the MP school colors to their own activities and I am sure there will be many other examples of support and love. There will be a lot of analysis and what ifs. One hopes that makes a difference to some people going forward. Sometimes i just get very tired of this world.

trestle

trestle
PostSat Oct 25, 2014 7:55 am 
Teenage angst rears up again. Thoughts and condolences to the victims and their families. So great to hear of all the support for the school and community.

"Life favors the prepared." - Edna Mode
lostintheforest

lostintheforest
PostSat Oct 25, 2014 11:30 am 
I found a lot of the news coverage yesterday to be in pretty poor taste. I heard about it from a friend and turned on the TV to see what was happening. Watching them interviewing students and parents right after it happened and grilling them for details and asking how they felt about it, I turned off the TV. Listening to the news choppers hovering overhead all afternoon, it seemed like people were more interested in the spectacle than they were in showing any kind of compassion for the people affected by this tragedy.

tom roy

tom roy
PostSat Oct 25, 2014 12:34 pm 
Maybe i am wrong about this but if they were not so hard on kids for fighting in school maybe the frustration would be relived before it came to this, When I was little your first fight was figh was a rightt of passage.I was in two fights in school one in middle school and the other in high school they just sent us back to class. So I could be way off base here my son is going to WSU now and he never was a problem to raise, But I did teach him how to box and we stopped when he started kicken my but. We had head gear and the puffy gloves. I guess with gangster rap and other influences its different. But the first Dirty Harry movie and those Charles Bronson movies Death wish were our favorites. Not trying to make lite of this my condolences to all effected.

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostSat Oct 25, 2014 2:41 pm 
Blame keeps getting shifted around as the incidents continue to occur. Music, video games, movies, tv, bullying, prescription drugs, undiagnosed or untreated mental health issues, guns, etc. etc. Don't know the answer, don't think it's as simple as scape goating one element. It's probably different in each case. It's heartbreaking and frustrating that it keeps happening. I'm fairly pessimistic about it, I have no reason to believe otherwise, school shootings are going to continue to happen all over the country. It's the world we live in now. Don't know how it got this way, it wasn't always like this, but how can we change it or fix it when we really don't know what "it" is?

tmatlack

tmatlack
PostSun Oct 26, 2014 2:05 am 
My wife and I(both teachers) left some flowers at the fence/entrance memorial at the school last night. 3 satellite trucks(one from NBC) and some other media vehicles in hard rain. They were starting to interview themselves. Time to back off. Tom

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostSun Oct 26, 2014 10:11 am 
olderthanIusedtobe wrote:
Don't know how it got this way, it wasn't always like this
In my opinion and shared by many others it started when parents stopped properly disciplining their children for whatever reason...fear of being arrested?

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Seventy2002

Seventy2002
PostSun Oct 26, 2014 12:04 pm 
Chief Joseph wrote:
parents stopped properly disciplining their children for whatever reason...fear of being arrested?
Parents don't get arrested for "properly disciplining" their children. The get arrested for breaking bones, , starving kids, burning them. Parents who never had control of their children in the first place play the "fear of being arrested" card when the effects of their negligence become evident.

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostSun Oct 26, 2014 12:28 pm 
The shooter appears to have come from a solid family life. His father took him hunting. He loved spending time in the woods. He was on the wrestling and football teams. There is zero evidence that this kid was not raised well or was not well disciplined. The one common thing about these tragedies is that each shooter got the twisted idea in his head to shoot a bunch of people. There is no simple answer for why that happens. These school shooting tragedies are terribly sad. Why worsen them with unfounded myths about the circumstances or about the cause?

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostSun Oct 26, 2014 2:52 pm 
BigSteve wrote:
Why worsen them with unfounded myths about the circumstances or about the cause?
Well said Steve. up.gif