Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Which Dialect Of American do you speak?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostFri Oct 31, 2014 9:46 am 
Quote:
Do you pahk the cah in Hahvahd yahd? Do you refer to multiple people as “dey”? Is a jelly doughnut called a “bismark,” or is everything that comes out of a soda fountain called a coke, even if it’s really 7-Up? Do you root for Da Bears? The way we speak, both the phrases we use and the accents that inflect those phrases, come from our upbringings. And in a nation of more than 300 million people, it’s little wonder that those accents vary widely. More than a decade ago, Robert Delaney, a reference associate at Long Island University, put together this map of the 24 regions of American English..
The news blurb quoted above the page for the study referenced.... I'd import the map to this post, but have no idea how to do that

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
RayD
the griz ate my pass

RayD
the griz ate my pass
PostFri Oct 31, 2014 9:49 am 

don't believe everything you think
coldrain108
Thundering Herd

coldrain108
Thundering Herd
PostFri Oct 31, 2014 10:28 am 
When I grew up I lived in : Washington Oregon Ohio Illinois California Connecticut New Jersey Georgia and back to Washington. I've been told I don't have a regional accent. I learned to speak German before I learned to speak English (went to visit relatives when I was about 2 years old) I speak a southern German dialect - Schwabisch - the German equivalent of American English spoken in Alabama or Mississippi. I can barely understand the Bavarian dialect and the Tyrolean Austrians speak a crazy version of German.

Since I have no expectations of forgiveness, I don't do it in the first place. That loop hole needs to be closed to everyone.
NacMacFeegle

NacMacFeegle
PostFri Oct 31, 2014 10:46 am 
I've never noticed that I speak with a particular accent, but if I do it probably falls into the Pacific Northwest category, although I think we need a more colorful name for it, Cascadian perhaps?

Read my hiking related stories and more at http://illuminationsfromtheattic.blogspot.com/
Voxxjin
made of hamburger

Voxxjin
made of hamburger
PostFri Oct 31, 2014 12:43 pm 
I don't believe I have an accent of any sort (no one has ever said I do). I grew up in PA and have lived in AZ, VA, CO, NC, TX and now here. I do tend to say 'Adios' and 'howdy' and call my drinks sodas or cokes (not pop as that seems stupid). I do tend to not say 't's' in certain words like kittens (pronounced more like kit'ins as opposed to kit'tens) or moun'ians (as opposed to moun'tins)but I sometime also say it the other way as well. But I don't say worsh but say wash and I certainly do not call water fountains---bubblers. And I don't pronounce the Steelers as Stillers or say yins (essentially it stands for 'you all'. And I don't want a sub, I want a hoagie.

Cry 'Havoc!' and let slip the dogs of war
Hulksmash
Cleaning up.

Hulksmash
Cleaning up.
PostFri Oct 31, 2014 12:59 pm 
huh.gif "Muckatymuck" ???? ^ New word to me. rolleyes.gif

"Bears couldn't care less about us....we smell bad and don't taste too good. Bugs on the other hand see us as vending machines." - WetDog Albuterol! it's the 11th essential
boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker

boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker
PostFri Oct 31, 2014 1:53 pm 
Hulksmash wrote:
huh.gif "Muckatymuck" ???? ^ New word to me. rolleyes.gif
obviously a weird dialect. Should be "Muckymuck" I am a peon, high level management is a bunch of muckymucks. agree.gif I have no dialect. wink.gif

friluftsliv
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostFri Oct 31, 2014 2:54 pm 
curious. it's always been "muckitymuck" as far as I know. my father used the term often. (he was born in the Texas panhandle in 1910; grew up in northwest Missouri and south Omaha; arrived here in the northwest in 1931.) "muck-a-muck" was the term used by the coastal tribes here for food. (see here - narrative from Gilman expedition.) ("Muckamuck" is also apparently a place name. several posts come up here using the search function.) but then when I check my dictionary: muckamuck: n. (also mucketymuck) Slang A person of importance. Usually used scornfully, often in the phrase high muckamuck. (American Heritage Dictionary of the English Language © 1969) my favorites were always the phrases used by relatives in south Omaha; Albion, Nebraska; and Rockport, Missouri: "didjuz" : as in "didjuz eat yet?" and "jeet" : as in "jeet yet?"

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
NacMacFeegle

NacMacFeegle
PostFri Oct 31, 2014 3:03 pm 
I've used muckitymuck in the past to refer to someone in a position of authority, as in: "the high muckitymuck". I had no idea it was derived from an Indian word!

Read my hiking related stories and more at http://illuminationsfromtheattic.blogspot.com/
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostFri Oct 31, 2014 3:05 pm 
I don't think the usage of it in that context has anything to do with coastal tribal languages. just a weird coincidence. no notes in the dictionary on origin. you'll need to ask a linguist on that one. wink.gif

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
NacMacFeegle

NacMacFeegle
PostFri Oct 31, 2014 3:18 pm 
Ski wrote:
I don't think the usage of it in that context has anything to do with coastal tribal languages. just a weird coincidence. no notes in the dictionary on origin. you'll need to ask a linguist on that one. wink.gif
From the article linked by MtnGoat:
Quote:
Pacific Northwest: More influence from Native American languages. An example is the potluck, a gathering where everyone brings a dish, a derivation of the Native American “potlatch.” Muckatymuck, known elsewhere as a big shot, is another Native American term adopted by Northwesterners. But there’s less of an accent here than elsewhere, given the fact that the region was settled relatively recently.

Chico

Chico
PostFri Oct 31, 2014 4:58 pm 
coldrain108 wrote:
When I grew up I lived in : Washington Oregon Ohio Illinois California Connecticut New Jersey Georgia and back to Washington.
You must be an Army brat?

Brian Curtis
Trail Blazer/HiLaker

Brian Curtis
Trail Blazer/HiLaker
PostFri Oct 31, 2014 8:43 pm 
NacMacFeegle wrote:
Pacific Northwest: More influence from Native American languages. An example is the potluck, a gathering where everyone brings a dish, a derivation of the Native American “potlatch.” Muckatymuck, known elsewhere as a big shot, is another Native American term adopted by Northwesterners. But there’s less of an accent here than elsewhere, given the fact that the region was settled relatively recently.
I was going to read the article but with this as an example of the quality I'll pass. The term potluck originated in Europe in the 1600s. The similarity to potlatch is purely coincidental.

that elitist from silverdale wanted to tell me that all carnes are bad--Studebaker Hoch
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostSat Nov 01, 2014 8:12 am 
I've been told I have a Canadian accent. So do my E. Warshington friends. But after my exile in Up Nort Wisconsin, I can also speak with da Finlander accent--I lived next to the Yooper part of Michigan. Maybe that's because of the Scandihoovian side of the family. I shall reveal the mistake made about my user name. Swarp is a term used by the folks who settled here. They came from the East Tennesee area. I used the term in Wisconsin and a guy's eyes lit up and he asked, (in an Appalachian accent) "SWARP! Where did you pick that term up at? I haven't heard it used since I left home!" Swarp is used in various ways. On our fire crew as we ran to the safety zone to hunker, our sawyer began bellowing, "FIVE MORE MINUTES AND WE'D HAD 'ER SWARPED." Meaning in a joking way that if our crew had five more minutes of line digging, we'd have the fire out. Or in the landromat, "You wash the clothes and I'll go swarp out the house." My Cheesehead transplant friend, then queried me about the terms Peaked, pronounced peekid and was delighted to find other similar terms used. Just some trivia. My one yooper expression I learned was "youzguysgoornohey". Meaning: Are you ready to go?

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?
PostSat Nov 01, 2014 7:32 pm 
I grew up here in the Seattle area so am firmly in the Pacific Northwest zone, though often mix in a little Southwestern to color things up. My mom was from Missouri so I grew up calling sodas "pop" as that's what she called them.