Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Medical cannabis
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
kbatku
Questionable hiker

kbatku
Questionable hiker
PostFri Oct 31, 2014 5:19 pm 
Here's the deal - I've pretty much felt like "medical"marijuana is just an excuse to get high. I've read all sorts of outrageous claims about the medical effects of marijuana - so unlikely and overblown that they sound like claims made by Chiropractors. So, I'm pretty much a skeptic. Fast forward to a few weeks ago when a person offered me some marijuana infused skin cream when I complained about arthritis in my hands. Whatever says me and rubbed it on my hands, not expecting anything to happen. This was in Tacoma (figures, right?) and on the drive home I began to notice that my joints didn't hurt and mobility returned to my fingers.. Wow said I, this stuff actually works. After two or three days, the improvement was still there, and I became a convert. We drove back to Tacoma and procured some more of this potion, because now I'm a believer. Now, this is where it gets really odd. I stubbed my right big toe really badly this summer on a root and it's ached the whole time since. Not only did it ache, it was numb and I couldn't move it. Poke it with a toothpick, couldn't feel it. Think "Move!" at it and it wouldn't twitch. So my wife says, why don't you try some of that goop on your toe? I did, hopefully this time, and within three minutes I could move my toe again, though it did crackle a bit. Thinking that more is always better, I rubbed some more on, and now I could FEEL my toe (it burned for some reason). So now my hands are pain free, and my toe works again. I know I sound like an advertisement, but this stuff is so downright effective that people should know about it. And I quit being a skeptic about the medical benefits of marijuana, at least for joint pain. Topicals like this don't get you high at all (sorry) and are heavy in CBD's. I am wondering if anyone else has had a similar experience with marijuana based topicals for joint pain, or if it's just me and my tired old body and it's all in my head? smile.gif

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks
PostFri Oct 31, 2014 5:32 pm 
Wow! Come from the same place as you. Not a user in any way for probably 30+ years. I'll keep that in mind.

kbatku
Questionable hiker

kbatku
Questionable hiker
PostFri Oct 31, 2014 5:41 pm 
Now I understand why the pharmaceutical companies are crapping bricks about legalizing marijuana. They simply don't have a product like this, something that seems to effectively "cure" minor arthritis. It's not like a topical pain killer - it doesn't seem to wear off. Though to be fair, I've kept applying it every couple of days, just to be sure. I couldn't get my left hand past 3/4 closed for a least a year, now it works just fine and is pain free. Crazy as heck.

Dogpatch

Dogpatch
PostFri Oct 31, 2014 5:43 pm 
kbatku wrote:
Here's the deal - I've pretty much felt like "medical"marijuana is just an excuse to get high.
I wanna try that topical marijuana! But also, just so you know, not all medical marijuana makes you high. My husband gets some that has the THC removed, so you get the pain relief but you don't get high. I've used his sometimes, and it's really great. I personally hate the marijuana high so the non-THC stuff is really nice.

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." – Groucho Marx
Schroder

Schroder
PostFri Oct 31, 2014 6:12 pm 
It also helps with nausea, anxiety and pain going through chemo - not the topical cream but the high CBD.

More Cowbell
Warrior Princess

More Cowbell
Warrior Princess
PostFri Oct 31, 2014 6:30 pm 
I got a "Green Card" last year to help with major pain from a torn meniscus and knee sprain. It was mostly to get the topical cream that I did this. For that particular injury, the topical didn't do much for me and the flavored hash oil that I got especially for pain just made me acutely aware of the pain (really weird) so I gave up on the internal treatment. Medical Mary Jane is so much stronger than the old stuff that I had in college, you have to use at least half of what you did in the good old days (if you did that sort of thing). My mother on on the other hand gets great relief from the topical so maybe it works great for joint issues and not ligament issues.

“If you want to forget all your other troubles, wear too tight shoes.” - Unknown
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostFri Oct 31, 2014 7:57 pm 
Hmmm. Would it work on little fingers that throb sometimes? Shoulders? Where in Tacoma is this stuff? Or is it sekrit? Is it spendy?

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
kbatku
Questionable hiker

kbatku
Questionable hiker
PostFri Oct 31, 2014 8:12 pm 
I got mine at 7 Point, but here's their site. They have a whole bunch of skin care stuff, but this is what worked for me - xxx rescue balm I think there is a list of access points - maybe your favorite one. smile.gif $22 an ounce, but you don't use much. I'm still working on my first jar so it seems to last a while.

Seventy2002

Seventy2002
PostFri Oct 31, 2014 10:01 pm 
Interesting. I found reports in medical literature that THC can affect sensory nerve endings like mustard oil and capsaicin. That might explain the sensation in your big toe. It also appears THC has an anti-inflammatory effect, at least on contact dermatitis. I salute your willingness to serve as a guinea pig. Please take copious notes and will your body to science.

AR

AR
PostSat Nov 01, 2014 2:22 pm 
Migraine relief can be found with very little amounts of usage. The benefits far exceed other treatments on the market.

...wait...are we just going to hang here or go hiking?
happy heathen
Goonies never die

happy heathen
Goonies never die
PostSun Nov 02, 2014 10:28 am 
Im am so happy you found the cure to what ails you. Its a miracle herb. It gave me my life back. I have an autoimmune system condition called Ankylosing Spondylitis. Basically its like super arthritis, my joints are all being torn up and my spine is fusing together. You know that Neil young lyric "rust never sleeps"? Thats my life. I have not had one breath of air in the last ten years that did not hurt to inhale and then again to exhale. I was seeing this corporate doctor at milticare. At first I would not even consider taking the pills he was trying to push. I have a stomach problem, barrett's esophagus, so taking lots of pills will not be a good idea. My quality of life was rapidly falling. I couldn't sleep more then a few hours at a time. I was getting less and less exercise. Cold and rain make my joints hurt (still worth living in Washington). I stopped any snowboarding, snowshoeing or basically anythig except hugging a heater in the winter. My summers were getting less active as I was getting out of shape bad. My doc finally got me to try some pain pills by saying something like "Erik are you sleeping at all? I hate be be so frank but you look like sh##. You should consider taking some of this so you can sleep." I was desperate at that point, he was right I had not been sleeping so I took him up on it. He gave me Methadone. I was like wtf? Im not trying to kick heroin. He told me I couldn't take something weaker as I would have to take too many and it would F my stomach up. I took one pill that night and boy did I sleep. Scared the crap outta my wife as she could not wake me. She shook me figured I should just stay on the couch. When I woke at 3 am and tried to go to bed I couldn't walk I was so high. I did not like it at all. I went back and gave the bad dope back to the pusher in the lab coat aka my Doctor. Next drug to try was slow release morphine. Doc told me this would not get me high and he was right. I did not get high at all, nor could I poop. So after ending up in the ER with an aneurysm from pushing so hard to poop I have never taken a pain pill again. Well life kept spiraling down. I stopped working, money was running out, I was so freaking board, I was ready for the good ole days. Basically the only exercise I would get was walking my dogs. I live right by Bandix dog park and went everyday no matter how bad I hurt or how wet and cold it was. I figured life was over if I couldn't even walk my dog. One day at the park a lady came up to me and wanted to know if we could go sit and talk and have a private talk. Strange to me she wouldn't talk around the group so. She asked me if I was okay. I lied as usual. She said she didn't believe me. Said I looked miserable and even she can see something was wrong by the way I walk and how bent my back is. She asked if I was taking anything for the pain. I told her my whole speak about not wanting to be some drug addict and pain was a better life then that. Thats when she asked if I had heard of medical cannabis? Im like what you talking, a joint? She told me about the creams, food and other ways then smoking it. Well life was bad and I needed help so I took her up on the offer of some candies. BEST NIGHTS SLEEP EVER smile.gif. Cannabis gave me my life back. The year before she cave me those candies I hiked 4 miles. 4 miles folks. Thats not much for a kid who is actually a tree hugger. I hiked about a half mile past the Sunrise visitor center and back. My big trip that year was an overnighter at High Rock Lookout. 4 whole miles, wow huh! Well after being saved by the angel at the dog park. I hiked over 200 miles that next year. Then over 500 the year after that. I recently bought a new mountain bike and am getting stronger all the time. Yes I still have pain in my life all day everyday, it still hurts to breath. But I have most of my life back. I still don't do the winter stuff but for a dude with growing bones I think I do pretty well. Its not go big or home anymore for me. Its go medium or go home and Im okay with that. I am in the planning stages of doing the John Muir trail next summer all because I tried cannabis, thats a pretty medium size hike right? One thing I'd like to add is a plea that you stop referring to it as "marijuana" and instead call it by its true name of "cannabis". The reason it was called marijuana has it roots in racism. Harry Anslinger knew that if he could use the fear of Mexicans taking over he would do well to get the general public behind prohibition. Watch refer madness sometime and see him tall you the "dirty Mexican makes the marijuana" sick stuff. It a battle I will not win, trying to change the name back to its proper name, but I gotta try. I asked my multicare quack about a green card and he said no. So I said your fired. My new doc said its a better idea for you to use cannabis over pills and wrote me a green card. Sorry I rambled so much, its just a subject that hit home.

"The mountains are calling and I must go" John Muir
happy heathen
Goonies never die

happy heathen
Goonies never die
PostSun Nov 02, 2014 10:35 am 
There is a Farmers market in Tacoma off 512 and Pac ave and one in Seattle. You will get much better prices then at a dispensary and you can meet the growers to ask if it grown with chemicals or organic. Its on Sundays from 11-5. THCristy has great creams and lotions, she is there almost weekly or look her up on the web.

"The mountains are calling and I must go" John Muir
DigitalJanitor
Dirt hippie

DigitalJanitor
Dirt hippie
PostSun Nov 02, 2014 12:40 pm 
There's only going to be more stories like this as time goes on. Uruguay will be the place to watch over the next ~10 years for biomed cannabis research. I'm anticipating that they'll finally 'discover' proof of all these anecdotes, which hopefully will mean a whole bunch of folks might have more effective and less harmful treatments that lead to a better life.

~Mom jeans on wheels
meandering Wa

meandering Wa
PostMon Nov 03, 2014 7:17 am 
the very important thing to keep in mind is that each plant produces its own level of pharmaceutic effect. There are so many mixes and hybrids that if you try one product , and it does noting, does not mean that all products are out of the picture. Each makers product will have its vertues or not. A good Greens Man will know what might suit you best. The Little Black Book of Marajuana by Steve Elliott is a great first book on the use of pharma products. $10 directly from him or via Amazon. The green page in the The Weekly is filled with reviews of shops and products. I bet you can fine a store near you and a discussion of the different pharma products and their use. I am just thrilled that the public store near BHam has Indica vape pens. I live in a non Smoking apartment and the vape allows the use of indica, which is a great sleep aid. As an old woman, just needing a nudge now and then, I dont need a green perscription. I like having this option.

maytree

maytree
PostMon Nov 03, 2014 5:52 pm 
$20 to $40 to get a jar, but you need a green card. If you like I can recommend a clinic. My favorite topical is made by "Kush" and is called "cream of the crop - organic perma frost" It contains about 20 other things like Calendula, Oregano, Evening Primrose, and more, Google it, it has many ingredients. I've thrown out all my creams except MM. agree.gif