Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > iPhone 6 plus initial impressions
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
tigermn

tigermn
PostThu Feb 12, 2015 9:33 am 
I like it. I debated between the 6 and 6 plus. Since At&T has a 14 day return policy I decided to get the 6 plus and try it. If it's too big I can always send it back (free return shipping labels provided) and get the 6. I doubt I will be sending it back. Of course I'm coming from an iPhone 4S. Some of the below would also apply to the regular iPhone 6.
  • I got the 128GB version so I could replace the iPod classic that locks up in my new Outback. Now one device serves two purposes (phone and iPod).
  • Of course it's faster than my 4S and shows the LTE network where the 4S didn't. It will also WI-FI to the 5ghz networks that the iPhone 4S wouldn't.
  • I like the bigger size. I can actually read the screen better and there is just more room.
  • It also works in landscape mode under more situations (more like an iPad)
  • It is not as big looking/feeling as I thought it was going to be.
  • Battery life is supposed to be better than the regular iPhone 6.
  • The 16GB 4S besides the weak 2 year old battery I just never had enough room for apps and music, not to mention if you wanted to keep any pictures around. It was time to move up/on.
  • I might have been able to get by with the 64GB but didn't want the same issues once I loaded the music I wanted. Even with most of the music I want (~ 6000 songs currently) I still have almost 78GB free and could even add some of the more obscure stuff in my iTunes library.
Slap it in an Otterbox defender case and ready to go. The only slight reservation I have at this point is will the size be too much to carry around all the time (I wear it on a belt clip). I have the 14 days to decide. That will give me time to use it day to day, in the car on a road trip and on a hike or two.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
hikerman

hikerman
PostThu Feb 12, 2015 10:10 am 
It won't be noticable at all! wink.gif
Too big for me. The 6 was a big enough of a jump for me. (I'm a belt holster guy too)

boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker

boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker
PostThu Feb 12, 2015 8:13 pm 
It should get better reception than the 4, with that large of a footprint, they can put in an antenna about the size of a cell tower. Heck, Team Mobile might even work with that big of a footprint. clown.gif It does avoid the need to get an ipad in addition to the phone, but that is a lot to carry around. I do wonder if it will get reception in remote locations that normally don't get reception. That could be interesting to experiment with.

friluftsliv
tigermn

tigermn
PostFri Feb 13, 2015 8:44 am 
Well I still like my iPad mini around the house to play stupid games and facebook/twitter etc. My wife has the full size iPad. Now talk about big... lol.gif The bigger phone though makes these kinds of things more tolerable. Time will tell. The road trip coming up and when I can finally use it on a hike will tell a lot. I have to say the thumbprint unlock thing is nice as well (beats typing in the code). I think that started on the 5S though so not really new.

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostFri Feb 13, 2015 9:30 pm 
No offense but $950 for a phone? Even if it's only $500 with a 2 year contract you're still paying the difference in higher charges vs. BYOP prepaid plans that use the same network. I picked up something a little more sensible - brand new unlocked LG G2 on ebay for $200. Great phone. Great camera. Great battery life. No contract. Happy to be 1 generation behind. Easily saving $300 / year.

tigermn

tigermn
PostFri Feb 13, 2015 10:54 pm 
Everything isn't always about money... at least for me. The older I get the more I find myself getting what I want vs settling for something else. I like the overall compatibility (especially music) with all my other devices, iPods, iPads and such. Yea Apple did it smart to suck you into all their products although I haven't succumbed to a Mac computer (my daughter has for school). Not really interested in dealing with Android operating systems on my phone either.

Magellan
Brutally Handsome

Magellan
Brutally Handsome
PostSat Feb 14, 2015 7:33 am 
I don't worship at that throne, but I do have a good time watching people get sideways when people suggest they might be taking their apple products a little too seriously. Not accusing you of anything tigermn, I don't know you. Just a general observation. Glad to see Apple is catching up on the big screen. Love my Note 3, and like Tom said, at $100, I was happy to buy it the month before the Note 4 was released. Prolly be getting one of those as soon as the Note 5 is ready.

tom roy

tom roy
PostSat Feb 14, 2015 8:27 am 
I have a Galaxy S 5 android my wife and son have the I phone six. My son has the big I phone 6 looks like my S 5 my wife got the smaller one. My phone gets service all the time while they can not in tough places like around MSH. Its the first phone I have had that lets me call home if I am solo from MSH and tell her where I am and when I should be home. My old LG wouldn't but I dropped it in a river it dried but the battery life was chopped in half. I listen to music for hours while hiking alone run a gps track and still have 50 percent battery after a 12 hr day. Plus after texting or calling home if needed. That S 5 is far above my first galaxy and my Lg phone. I am a Samsung guy and all three of our phones were under four hundred dollars on a recent Verison upgrade. My wife scoffed at what they first said the cost was dickered like a car. Saved us hundreds of dollars a year. So cell phones are they the new car buying experience? They are apple people and can not be swayed I keep my mouth shut they don't want to hear it. They have had I pods I used a cheap MP3. Now with the smart pones no need for those. Just my two cents.

mike

mike
PostSat Feb 14, 2015 3:15 pm 
Tom wrote:
$950 for a phone?
confused.gif my thoughts exactly. Must applaud apple's marketing ability though. They have managed to turn hardware into religion.

GrnXnham

GrnXnham
PostSat Feb 14, 2015 6:31 pm 
I've had my 6+ for 3 months now. I had a 5. This thing is much much bigger. Since I'm hard on phones, I bought a tough case for it. Now it's even bigger. I hardly noticed the 5 in my pocket. The 6+ hangs out of my pocket and I can always feel the thing in there. If I bend over, I sometimes have to adjust the phone to keep it from poking me. Despite the size, I still think it's worth it for the bigger screen. I sometimes had a hard time with the smaller screen on the 5. Basically, what I've been telling people is that if you already have a tablet/iPad/whatever, get the iPhone 6. If you don't have an iPad, get the 6+, since the 6+ is kind of like getting something half way between phone and tablet, but it's barely pocketable. A phone that size is not for everyone, but it is for me.

tom roy

tom roy
PostSat Feb 14, 2015 11:24 pm 
Not sure if were talking about the same I phone six plus my son has. Not near the size of my old fire or my new LG tablet. I know one thing after a cold bivy my 5 S battery was much better than his I Phone six plus.

GrnXnham

GrnXnham
PostSun Feb 15, 2015 12:18 am 
Who said the 6+ was the size of a tablet?

tom roy

tom roy
PostSun Feb 15, 2015 11:21 am 
I thought others mentioned the phone replaceing a tablet ?

tigermn

tigermn
PostTue Feb 17, 2015 2:00 pm 
No religion here. I can afford it and I just like the compatibility between all my devices (daughter has 5S/iPad mini, wife has the 5/full sized iPad) and a not always have to worry about my phone getting hacked as Android devices are more subject to. At least for now I've decided to have my phones and tables on the Apple platform. Makes internal family tech support easier too... That could change at some point if something knocks me out otherwise but it hasn't yet... I bought a small Android based tablet and didn't care for it. I KNOW my wife and daughter don't want to deal with it. I mean I don't own any Apple computers (my daughter has a Mac for college/graphic design). I know zero about it. I like to be able to screw around more with my computers. I just want the phone to work and not have problems and have it simple for the family. As for size. The iPhone 6+ isn't even close to my iPad mini (not to mention a full sized iPad). I wear the phone on a belt clip. I've never tried to put my phone in a pocket. Well it's always in something like an Otterbox Defender case so even with the 4S it was worn on a belt clip. No real difference there since it sits on the belt except now I have a screen that is at least somewhat usable. Also with the bigger screen come bigger keys, so less fat fingering while typing. I guess I still have 8 days to decided...

NWtrax

NWtrax
PostTue Feb 17, 2015 10:08 pm 
that iphone 6+ sounds pretty cool, but if I'm going to hang something on my mantle (belt loop) I need something BIGGER!