Forum Index > Photography Talk > Pentax K50
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
spamfoote

spamfoote
PostWed Nov 12, 2014 8:34 pm 
K5IIs... Too expensive/heavy of a body for me. Was really looking at the K50, but with the m4/3 weather sealed bodies/lenses coming out or already out, I will not be going to APS-C or ever purchasing a full frame. Wait just a little longer for prices to fall on used m4/3 weather sealed bodies and I will snatch one up. As far as I am concerned Full frame is a dead end technology, though for DoF for portraiture it will still reign along with medium format. Full Frame is at its peak. Full frame essentially cannot get any better other than incremental minimal steps. Especially true when one adds stitching to the equation. M4/3 will continue to increase its dynamic range, already at 12 stops and its iso performance. Now add in lenses at half the weight or less on Olympus bodies as they seem to be the only m4/3 manufacturer smart enough to put image stabilization in their bodies instead of the lenses means big time weight savings for high quality photos while backpacking. AFAIAK if no in body stabilization, I will not buy. Olympus and Pentax hip hip horay! Sorry, I am not going to be a sucker(Canon, Nikon, Sony, Panasonic, Fuji) to pay same price for a body without image stab as one with and then pay through the nose for this same worthwhile feature in all the lenses as well. If someone wants to sell me a used Olympus EM-1, let me know. Its AF is good enough for me and it is light, weather sealed, with the best image stabilization around. Now if they could just add that awesome star tracker ability from the Pentax K-3... Ah wishes and fishes...

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?
PostWed Nov 12, 2014 9:01 pm 
Full Frame can still improve in dynamic range - as can all sensors. FX still rules the roost in high iso performance also, but that gap is really narrowing. I suspect (hope) the megapixel wars are pretty much over. 24MP is really all anyone would ever need though cameras with more have their place. I have been perfectly satisfied with my 16 MP camera though the ability to crop a little more would be nice. At 24 MP and higher the lenses start becoming the limiting factor. Low light sensitivity has been improving by leaps and bounds to the point where there isn't much further it can go - when you can shoot without a flash indoors and get nice, clean pictures you're there. So, dynamic range is next. Hopefully.

boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker

boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker
PostWed Nov 12, 2014 9:16 pm 
spamfoote wrote:
AFAIAK if no in body stabilization, I will not buy. Olympus and Pentax hip hip horay! Sorry, I am not going to be a sucker(Canon, Nikon, Sony, Panasonic, Fuji)
Panasonic GX7 has in body stabilization. Oddly, the only panny to have it. Most depend on the in lens stabilization. The Gx7 kicks it into ibis automatically when the lens doesn't have stabilization. The GX7 is lighter than the equivalent Oly, but alas Panny has not come up with weather seals so far. That was a tough choice when I was deciding between the two m4/3's. Finding the GX7 for half the price, as an "older" model but with the newer sensor, finally swayed me to stay with a camera that I have to keep more or less dry, but its very light and compact. The newer sensors are awesome.

friluftsliv
spamfoote

spamfoote
PostWed Nov 12, 2014 11:43 pm 
Bedivere wrote:
So, dynamic range is next. Hopefully.
To be "there", via RAW the DR already exists. Well for the most part, could still improve a little bit, but with 14 stops already via RAW... What is needed is a new standard automatic conversion so everyone isn't forced to play with RAW all the time. 8 bit JPG standard is way too confining. Frankly, jpg is obsolete for modern cameras when every single camera out there surpasses 8bits by a LARGE margin. Not counting P&S 2/3 sensors and smaller. AF is so amazingly fast today even in poor light on m4/3 cameras, dx and fx, that AF as the main issue for not buying a camera is frankly not an issue for the vast majority of us. Had the Olympus EM-1 in my hands a month or so back and the store was fairly dark and man was it locking on as fast as one could push the trigger. Do I need this lightning quick AF? No, of course not, but sure would be nice for some close in bird shots and macro insect pics. In short, we live in amazing times to photograph wildlife, landscape, etc. I figure just about any camera out there will outstrip my mediocre capabilities by a large margin. I get a laugh at those schleps under 30-40 years of age who complain on forums about iso "noise" and "ONLY" 8FPS, while the other has "10FPS" and "lower" noise as if this actually makes a difference in their ability to make money as a budding photog. What a joke. 10FPS just means you have 10 crappy shots to flip through instead 1 or 2 crappy shots. Want noise? Try film! Anyways, amazing times in the photog world. Now if super wide printers and papers would drop in price... biggrin.gif

spamfoote

spamfoote
PostWed Nov 12, 2014 11:44 pm 
boot up wrote:
Panasonic GX7 has in body stabilization. Oddly, the only panny to have it. Most depend on the in lens stabilization. The Gx7 kicks it into ibis automatically when the lens doesn't have stabilization.
I was not aware of that. Will have to give it a look. Thanks.

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostThu Nov 13, 2014 9:31 am 
boot up wrote:
I tend towards wanting more reach on my hiking lens. 35mm at the top end for telephoto would irritate the heck out of me
That's what cropping is for. wink.gif

boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker

boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker
PostThu Nov 13, 2014 1:00 pm 
Cyclopath wrote:
boot up wrote:
I tend towards wanting more reach on my hiking lens. 35mm at the top end for telephoto would irritate the heck out of me
That's what cropping is for. wink.gif
Wow! You can crop your 35mm to a 280mm zoom equivalent, without it looking like a watercolor painting? That is impressive!

friluftsliv
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostThu Nov 13, 2014 2:50 pm 
Cropping and stitching are both compromises, neither is as good as having the right glass, but either one will do when you don't have the lens you didn't want to spend on or carry.