Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Compound in marijuana may slow or halt Alzheimer's
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Navy salad

Navy salad
PostWed Nov 12, 2014 3:18 pm 
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2014/08/140827131801.htm "THC is known to be a potent antioxidant with neuroprotective properties, but this is the first report that the compound directly affects Alzheimer's pathology by decreasing amyloid beta levels, inhibiting its aggregation, and enhancing mitochondrial function," said study lead author Chuanhai Cao, PhD and a neuroscientist at the Byrd Alzheimer's Institute and the USF College of Pharmacy. "Decreased levels of amyloid beta means less aggregation, which may protect against the progression of Alzheimer's disease. Since THC is a natural and relatively safe amyloid inhibitor, THC or its analogs may help us develop an effective treatment in the future." This is not the first report suggesting this relationship -- see WebMD article

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker

boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker
PostThu Nov 13, 2014 1:02 pm 
How ironic, with its reputation for creating a problem with short term memory loss. peace.gif

friluftsliv
coldrain108
Thundering Herd

coldrain108
Thundering Herd
PostThu Nov 13, 2014 2:58 pm 
boot up wrote:
How ironic, with its reputation for creating a problem with short term memory loss. peace.gif
Ironic but not surprising. I found it very useful when studying in college. Actually considered it a PED for studying biology and chemistry (the two degrees I have). A couple of beers and I was worthless and could do nothing else but drink more, but a couple of tokes and I'd really get into the esoterica of science. Complex patterns seen anew. Reroute the thought process just a bit, like looking at the problem from a different direction.

Since I have no expectations of forgiveness, I don't do it in the first place. That loop hole needs to be closed to everyone.
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostThu Nov 13, 2014 3:23 pm 
pot cures smoker.gif everything, if not you'll prob forget what the problem was.. uhh.gif

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.