Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Glacier Park: Many Glacier Hotel winter caretaker blog
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
rhughes
Painter

rhughes
Painter
PostWed Nov 12, 2014 5:59 pm 
From the Glacier Park Chat group comes a link to this caretaker blog: http://www.mghwinterkeeper.com/home/archives/10-2014 I think this is the same couple who kept a blog like this a few years ago. It was entertaining reading and it is interesting to see what the place looks like in winter.

rhughes Painter Author of North Cascades Beautiful: An Artist's View Author of 100 Beautiful Views of Glacier National Park RoyEHughes.com
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Blue Dome
Now with Retsyn

Blue Dome
Now with Retsyn
PostWed Nov 12, 2014 6:46 pm 
Those blog pics are straight out of The Shining, especially the ones with the covered furniture and him walking down the hallway slightly blurred. He grabs some text out of the movie, "All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy...."

“I never give them hell. I just tell the truth and they think it's hell.” — Harry S. Truman
tmatlack

tmatlack
PostThu Nov 13, 2014 3:48 am 
Howdy, My wife and I worked in Yellowstone during the winters for the concessioner at Snow Lodge. The company hired winter keepers to shovel roofs and maintain buildings. The guys lived separately from us hotel/food/bev. peons. I think Natl. Geog. did a piece on the winter keeper family at Canyon Village... a much more isolated job since no guest services were provided. They were cooking bacon one early spring morning and a hungry GRIZZ tried to come in their cabin for a snack! Tom

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostThu Nov 13, 2014 7:14 am 
REDRUM

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
wheatie

wheatie
PostSat Nov 29, 2014 6:38 pm 
Many Glacier Hotel is haunted if you believe in that sort of thing. One story is just from a few years ago. A young couple was hired to serve as winter care takers. The caretakers don't live in the main lodge, but in a small cabin near the outlet of Swift Current Lake. Every few days the care taker has to snowshoe, ski or walk to the main hotel to do some chores and check on the place. The young husband decided that it was silly for both of them to go out on the cold each time and that they should take turns. His wife agreed, and the husband was to go first and so he filled his favorite cup up with coffee and headed over. When he got inside, he set the coffee cup down on the front desk and started the chores. When he was ready for a break he returned to the front desk and his coffee cup was gone. He looked all over and couldn't find it. He eventually returned to the cabin without it. When it was his turn to go back to the hotel, he told his wife he thought it was a bad idea to go alone, and she agreed to accompany him. When they walked in, his coffee cup was sitting on the front desk just where he had left it. Even stranger, he picked it up and it was still warm...

tmatlack

tmatlack
PostSun Nov 30, 2014 4:02 am 
My wife and I slept out in O. F. Inn in the winter of 1976 and saw/felt/heard no ghosts in that old building. But, in the basement, where the concessionaire keeps the food and booze in a series of walk in coolers and dry goods cages, there was at least one pine marten living in the rafters. I was utterly terrified of that thing. Being of the weasel family, I always pictured the marten guarding his stash of oatmeal or pancake mix by leaping onto my neck and gnawing on my carotid artery or something. No bueno pine marten! Tom