Forum Index > Pacific NW History > Skiing in Olympic National Park (new book)
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
RodF

RodF
PostThu Nov 13, 2014 2:15 pm 
Skiing in Olympic National Park, by Roger Merrill Oakes, Foreword by Jack Hughes, was released today by Arcadia Publishing. "With its glaciated peaks, temperate rain forests, and ocean wilderness, Olympic National Park has been called three parks in one. Efforts to protect and preserve these treasures began with the creation of a federal reserve in 1897, followed by a national monument in 1909, and then Olympic National Park in 1938. The 1920s and 1930s saw the building of many trails, shelters, and roads. In 1934, the US Forest Service completed a primitive road to the summit of Blue Mountain, affording skiing at Deer Park, and in 1957, the National Park Service completed an improved road to Hurricane Ridge. These two areas have offered alpine (lift-assisted) skiing to several generations. While these roads remain today, the recognition of the value of preserved wilderness has stopped road construction. In 1988, most of the park became federally designated wilderness. In 1981, Olympic National Park was designated a World Heritage Site. "Author Bio: Roger Merrill Oakes is a founder and past president of the Hurricane Ridge Winter Sports Club, which operates a small ski area within Olympic National Park. This book has been done with support from the cultural resource group at Olympic National Park and with the cooperation of many local skiers." Roger is a physician retired from general practice in Port Angeles. Jack is retired Hurricane Ridge and Elwha district ranger for Olympic NP. This is part of Arcadia Publishing's Images of America series containing primarily historic photos, allowing little text beyond the photo captions. I've been looking forward to this for over a year! up.gif

"of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt" - John Muir "the wild is not the opposite of cultivated. It is the opposite of the captivated” - Vandana Shiva
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostThu Nov 13, 2014 3:11 pm 
glad to see this history documented in print. up.gif

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
trestle

trestle
PostThu Nov 13, 2014 3:57 pm 
The book looks great!

"Life favors the prepared." - Edna Mode
Magellan
Brutally Handsome

Magellan
Brutally Handsome
PostThu Nov 13, 2014 7:40 pm 
Very cool.

BlueMountainMan

BlueMountainMan
PostTue Jan 13, 2015 2:00 pm 
I'm sure this book talks extensively about the Deer Park area. I understand there was a good sized lodge type building up there. I would think it would've been right there to the left, in the big open area, next to the road by the info sign. I've poked around there and besides an old survey benchmark with an elevation on it, I haven't seen signs of an old foundation or building. I'm curious to know if there are any remnants of old facilities.

RodF

RodF
PostWed Jan 14, 2015 2:06 am 
BlueMountainMan wrote:
I'm sure this book talks extensively about the Deer Park area. I understand there was a good sized lodge type building up there. I would think it would've been right there to the left, in the big open area, next to the road by the info sign.
It was on the right, in what is now the first campground loop. Roger's book has two chapters on Deer Park ski area, including a 1954 map showing the layout of the lodge, rope tows and runs.

"of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt" - John Muir "the wild is not the opposite of cultivated. It is the opposite of the captivated” - Vandana Shiva
graywolf

graywolf
PostSun Jan 18, 2015 12:59 pm 
RodF wrote:
Skiing in Olympic National Park, by Roger Merrill Oakes, Foreword by Jack Hughes, was released today by Arcadia Publishing. "With its glaciated peaks, temperate rain forests, and ocean wilderness, Olympic National Park has been called three parks in one. Efforts to protect and preserve these treasures began with the creation of a federal reserve in 1897, followed by a national monument in 1909, and then Olympic National Park in 1938. The 1920s and 1930s saw the building of many trails, shelters, and roads. In 1934, the US Forest Service completed a primitive road to the summit of Blue Mountain, affording skiing at Deer Park, and in 1957, the National Park Service completed an improved road to Hurricane Ridge. These two areas have offered alpine (lift-assisted) skiing to several generations. While these roads remain today, the recognition of the value of preserved wilderness has stopped road construction. In 1988, most of the park became federally designated wilderness. In 1981, Olympic National Park was designated a World Heritage Site. "Author Bio: Roger Merrill Oakes is a founder and past president of the Hurricane Ridge Winter Sports Club, which operates a small ski area within Olympic National Park. This book has been done with support from the cultural resource group at Olympic National Park and with the cooperation of many local skiers." Roger is a physician retired from general practice in Port Angeles. Jack is retired Hurricane Ridge and Elwha district ranger for Olympic NP. This is part of Arcadia Publishing's Images of America series containing primarily historic photos, allowing little text beyond the photo captions. I've been looking forward to this for over a year! up.gif
Rod, Thanks for the post! I knew Roger when I worked at Olympic Hospital from 1981 to 1984, and I knew Jack pretty well - used to ski with him occasionally. I'll definitely get this book. Thanks again!

The only easy day was yesterday...
RodF

RodF
PostTue Feb 24, 2015 12:05 pm 
Discover Your Northwest to Host February 28 Book-Signing at Olympic National Park Visitor Center Olympic National Park partner Discover Your Northwest will host a book signing with Port Angeles author Roger Merrill Oakes. Oakes will sign copies of his recent book Skiing in Olympic National Park from noon until 2:00 p.m. on Saturday, February 28 at the Olympic National Park Visitor Center. The Olympic National Park Visitor Center is located at 3002 Mount Angeles Road in Port Angeles and open from 9:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m. daily. The profusely illustrated 128-page book, part of Arcadia Publishing’s series Images of America, chronicles the history of alpine skiing and winter recreation in the area now protected within Olympic National Park. Alpine skiing began at Deer Park in the mid-1930s and was accessed only by a narrow gravel road. In 1957, when the Hurricane Ridge Road was completed, the Olympics’ ski area was moved there. Skiing in Olympic National Park is normally priced at $21.99 but will be offered by Discover Your Northwest at a 15 percent discount during the book signing event. Roger Oakes is a founder and past president of the Hurricane Ridge Winter Sports Club and is well known as a local ski and outdoor recreation enthusiast. - NPS press release

RodF

RodF
PostThu Oct 08, 2015 2:42 am 
Friends of Olympic National Park Fall Membership Meeting Tuesday, October 13, 7 pm Olympic National Park Visitors Center Roger Oakes will present a profusely illustrated talk on Skiing in Olympic, Gay Hunter will receive our Most Inspirational Friend Award, and a "State of the Park" report will be presented by Park management. Friends' meetings are free and are open to the public. Please join us next week.