Forum Index > Trip Reports > Sams River Loop Trail 11-15-14
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostSun Nov 16, 2014 2:06 am 
Sams River Loop Trail 11-15-14 I wanted to attend Jacilee Wray's presentation of her recently completed historical narrative of the Queets at Kalaloch, so it seemed appropriate to get into the proper spirit with a little visit. USGS gaging station says the Queets was running at 2890 at 06:30 PST Saturday morning- way too high to ford now, so Sams River Loop Trail is the off-season alternative. I started the loop in a counter-clockwise direction from the end of the road, at the confluence of the Queets and Sams.
There is one small log footbridge on the north side of the loop, and views of the Queets.
This 24" hemlock blowdown was laying on the trail when I was here last March. There's another (about 20" diameter) just a bit to the west of this one.
There were patches of ice on the #21 Road coming in, as well as frosty spots on the trail.
I walked almost the entire north half of the loop when the camera batteries died, so I turned around and walked back to the truck for new batteries. After getting the camera powered back up, I decided to do the south half of the loop (from the end of the road) in a clockwise direction. All along Sams the trail and the gravel bars were covered in frost.
After a bit came the ford of the mighty waters of Waylay Creek, where the odds are never in ones favor of finding the trail on the other side, no matter which direction one is going.
sams_river_loop_trail_topo
sams_river_loop_trail_topo
The bright light of frozen Cowan Field was pretty easy to find, fortunately, and I picked up the trail again in the southwest "corner".
There are two small log footbridges on the south side of the loop. The normally muddy trail on the west end of the south loop was frozen solid, which was kind of different.
I checked the time when I got to the Ranger Station and realized I was cutting it a bit close to get to Kalaloch by 4:00, so I walked back to the truck along the road, but I suppose one could find worse roads to walk.
Got to Kalaloch just in time. The last glow of twilight was fading on the horizon when Jacilee finished her presentation. I got a coffee and did the long drive home.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Chico

Chico
PostSun Nov 16, 2014 10:56 am 
So there was the presentation back on October 23rd, and another on November 15th. Correct? Otherwise I'm confused. Thanks for sharing. Looks like it was quiet up there.

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostSun Nov 16, 2014 2:29 pm 
yes: Oct. 23 and Nov. 15. yes, very quiet. Map added to report above. At the presentation last night at Kalaloch, someone told me there are additional copies which might be available at the Amanda Park Library. forgot to add: It was mentioned last night that person(s) have been searching some of the homestead sites with metal detectors looking for artifacts. If you see anyone in the valley with a metal detector, please contact Jefferson County Sheriff's Office or Olympic National Park Law Enforcement immediately.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Phil

Phil
PostSun Nov 16, 2014 7:50 pm 
Good stuff, Ski, thanks for sharing. I'd really like to get out to the Queets area.