Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > How old is your phone?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic

How old is your phone?
22%
 22%  [ 15 ]
16%
 16%  [ 11 ]
19%
 19%  [ 13 ]
5%
 5%  [ 4 ]
8%
 8%  [ 6 ]
1%
 1%  [ 1 ]
1%
 1%  [ 1 ]
4%
 4%  [ 3 ]
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
1%
 1%  [ 1 ]
1%
 1%  [ 1 ]
1%
 1%  [ 1 ]
1%
 1%  [ 1 ]
2001 or less
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
2000 or
4%
 4%  [ 3 ]
Phone? We don't need know stinkin' phone!
10%
 10%  [ 7 ]
Total Votes : 68

H. Hound

H. Hound
PostTue Nov 18, 2014 8:13 pm 
The Cell - Verizon mark one Ineradicable, purchased used few years ago. The scrapped land line - a 1950's Bakelite stolen AT&T phone (grand da stole it years ago, so the stature of limitations has long ran out).

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostTue Nov 18, 2014 11:26 pm 
I haven't had a "landline" a couple years now -- but we really stopped using it about five years ago -- but I had to show my wife that only telemarketers had called the landline number in the prior year before she was willing to "cut the cord" Which amused me-- since she uses over a 1000 minutes a month on her cell.

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostWed Nov 19, 2014 12:20 am 
if it were possible to run this desktop without a land line, I'd dump it in a heartbeat.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostWed Nov 19, 2014 11:37 pm 
Ski wrote:
if it were possible to run this desktop without a land line, I'd dump it in a heartbeat.
You're still using dial-up ? Really ?

tom roy

tom roy
PostThu Nov 20, 2014 7:44 am 
Recently got a Galaxy S 5 my LG fell in the Nooksack fishing last fall it never fully recovered. I loved that phone. Don't know if its the new phone but its the first phone I have had that gets a few texts through from MSH a very large dead zone. And the camera is very good. The hiking app with GPS tracking and maps is great and the battery still has a third of a charge after I track a day in the hills. My LG's battery never held up. We still have land lines and a old phone in the garage dont think I want to chase my cell phone around the house and I forget and let the battery die.

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostThu Nov 20, 2014 10:58 am 
RandyHiker wrote:
"... still using dial-up ?"
no, it's a DSL connection on the computer.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
FootHiker

FootHiker
PostSat Nov 22, 2014 12:09 pm 
I've got a dumbphone. From 2002. Works just fine.

GrnXnham

GrnXnham
PostSat Nov 22, 2014 9:38 pm 
Interesting that the title is "How Old is Your Phone?" It doesn't specify land-line or cell phone. I'm guessing the OP was asking about cell phones but asking how old people's land-lines are could be more interesting since many of them are much older.

FailsToMeetExpectations

FailsToMeetExpectations
PostSat Nov 22, 2014 10:12 pm 
Quote:
Now I have a 2 year old smart phone, the headphone jack just croaked and the charger port is starting to act funny.
Usually that is a worn cable, not the phone. Counter intuitive, but fortunately true.

sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostFri Nov 28, 2014 1:36 pm 
My husband worked for a certain international mobile phone company for 4+ years. During that time, I used a lot of phones because I didn't have to pay for the handsets. My current mobile is actually a year and 3 months old (gasp, sooo old I know!), but it was their flagship high-end phone. And it still works perfectly for what I need (as a mobile computer and camera, really). Anyhow, what those years taught me is I will NEVER go under contract. Own your mobile phone outright. I pay $35 a month for unlimited texting, calls and so much bandwidth I don't run out (and trust me, I am basically connected to my mobile). When it dies, I'll go use its twin that is still in a drawer somewhere. And eventually if I have to, go buy a new phone at some point. But it will be an unlocked phone, preferably with Euro setup, for SIM switching. I haven't been under a cell contract in at least 7 years...... Oh yeah....and we got rid of our landline finally, when we moved this year. It isn't like we even used it!

https://trailcooking.com/ Eat well on the trail.
Mike Collins

Mike Collins
PostFri Nov 28, 2014 1:47 pm 
The phone that I have upstairs next to the computer is a vintage pay-phone circa late 60's. It works but has the old rotary dial. Kids who come over don't know how to dial a number with it. The phone will take coins and I have the key to open the bottom collection drawer.

Brucester

Brucester
PostMon Mar 30, 2015 1:02 pm 
5 y.o Samsung slide. A rugged relic. I have a basic plan w/ Tmob 49 unlimited. The bill is 65 bucks. I just phone+text. Taxes are crazy. They w/ all phones accept pay as go? Boost Mobile? Yelp reviews bad but friends say good. confused.gif

sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostMon Mar 30, 2015 1:11 pm 
You are paying way too much for TMobile! Look online at their deals for pay as you go - as long as you own your own phone and it takes a SIM card, you should be good to go. They will charge you a small fee for a new SIM if need be (but your old phone probably has one you can still use....). That is is if you want to upgrade and spend less.

https://trailcooking.com/ Eat well on the trail.
joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostMon Mar 30, 2015 1:53 pm 
My sister-in-law used one of these until 1983 when the phone company "yanked the crank" from Bryant Pond ME, the last place in the US to use crank phones. They were a source of some amusement, particularly given the social subtleties of party lines (read: nosy neighbors who you could hear breathing on the line...) and the feeble ring sound when the local operator was not giving a good hard crank.

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?
PostMon Mar 30, 2015 2:23 pm 
I used Tracfone service with an old Samsung phone for years. (Tracfone is pay-as-you-go) but decided I wanted to step up to an Android so I could have decent internet access on the road. After looking around I ended up with an LG phone through MetroPCS. The phone has 4GLTE capabilities and only cost $60. I'm on the $60/mo plan which is unlimited data/talk/text but I find I'm not using very much data after all so could step down to their $40 plan which is 1gb data + unlimited talk/text. Those prices are all-inclusive and MetroPCS uses the T-Mobile network which has good coverage in the Seattle area and also over in Wenatchee where my parents live. Don't know/don't care if I get reception in the mountains. I'm going to try tethering my desktop to the phone and seeing how that works. If it works good then I can conceivably cancel my Comcast internet. I've had this LG phone for about 6 months. Had the Samsung developmentally disabled phone (it had rudimentary internet which was so bad I never used it) for probably 5 years before that.