Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Stupid and Not So Stupid Mtn Movies
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
tom roy

tom roy
PostFri Nov 21, 2014 8:35 am 
This 1950 movie is a climbing soap opera, a alcoholic guide, love affair and a Nazi and US WW 2 vet on the team. The gear they use is hilarious but Glen Ford and Loyd Bridges acting make it worth a watch. It was a big budget film in the day. Technicolor with lots of shots the Alps till they climb and its in the studio.
The White Tower
The White Tower

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
glenoid

glenoid
PostFri Nov 21, 2014 9:00 am 
Some factoids or possibly fictoids: 1)"The White Tower" was based on a novel that had a pretty cool fifties type dustcover. ?James Ramsey Ullman 2) Wasn't one of those Rambo movies filmed up by Whitehorse? 3) Watch "The Deer Hunter" and you'll see Mt. Baker pretending to be in PA. (Was up at Baker/Shuksan when that film crew had some areas fenced off and had let loose some of their "wild" elk and deer to run around and be filmed. The large parking lot at the end of the road had power cords running everywhere, down parka clad Hollywood types being cool but warm, and a huge buffet spread out on collapsible tables. [Those of us out for Camp Kiser in gym shorts were not invited to partake! And we thought we could be extras]......

Daryl
Big Shot Economist

Daryl
Big Shot Economist
PostFri Nov 21, 2014 9:02 am 
coldrain108 wrote:
I loved the stage play.
This. K2 was an ehh movie, but if you ever get the chance to see it on stage, go see it!

JonnyQuest

JonnyQuest
PostFri Nov 21, 2014 9:27 am 
One of my favorite "not-so-stupid" mountain movies (actually, more of a wilderness movie) is Dersu Uzala. Anyone remember that movie?

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostFri Nov 21, 2014 9:33 am 
The White Spider was in my opinion one of the better climbing films, I saw it in German. It is about a couple young climbers attempting the Eiger in the 1930's.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
mike

mike
PostFri Nov 21, 2014 10:55 am 
glenoid wrote:
1)"The White Tower" was based on a novel that had a pretty cool fifties type dustcover. ?James Ramsey Ullman

More Cowbell
Warrior Princess

More Cowbell
Warrior Princess
PostFri Nov 21, 2014 11:27 am 
A Lonely Place to Die Gorgeous Scottish scenery, way too bloody in the end. Instant download on Netflix.

“If you want to forget all your other troubles, wear too tight shoes.” - Unknown
MrDobalina907
Lost in the Sauce

MrDobalina907
Lost in the Sauce
PostFri Nov 21, 2014 11:36 am 
I've been meaning to watch Touching the Void. Hopefully it does justice to the story.

Somewhere between a spam sandwich and a mountain house
Matt
Tea, Earl Grey, Hot

Matt
Tea, Earl Grey, Hot
PostFri Nov 21, 2014 12:14 pm 
glenoid wrote:
2) Wasn't one of those Rambo movies filmed up by Whitehorse?
High Ice was the movie filmed on Whitehorse. Unfortunately it's very hard to find a copy of it, because it was a TV "Movie of the Week," not a theatrical release.

“As beacons mountains burned at evening.” J.R.R. Tolkien
Matt
Tea, Earl Grey, Hot

Matt
Tea, Earl Grey, Hot
PostFri Nov 21, 2014 12:14 pm 
MrDobalina907 wrote:
I've been meaning to watch Touching the Void. Hopefully it does justice to the story.
Touching the Void was about the only climbing movie I've seen that seemed authentic throughout. It's a mix of re-created scenes and interviews with the actual participants, but both are compelling. And when they're showing climbers, their movements and gear actually look like real climbing I've seen, not something made up for Hollywood.

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostFri Nov 21, 2014 12:52 pm 
glenoid wrote:
3) Watch "The Deer Hunter" and you'll see Mt. Baker pretending to be in PA. (Was up at Baker/Shuksan when that film crew had some areas fenced off and had let loose some of their "wild" elk and deer to run around and be filmed. The large parking lot at the end of the road had power cords running everywhere, down parka clad Hollywood types being cool but warm, and a huge buffet spread out on collapsible tables. [Those of us out for Camp Kiser in gym shorts were not invited to partake! And we thought we could be extras]......
I noticed that when I caught part of it on TV. I know Hollywood uses plenty of artistic license, but I thought having large, glaciated and snow covered mountains magically appearing in the Eastern US was pretty dumb. If that's the look they wanted for idealized "wilderness" they should have just had the characters take a trip out west in the movie.

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostFri Nov 21, 2014 12:58 pm 
Cliffhanger is goofy but entertaining. I believe there was a lawsuit over that movie because of the totally ridiculous gear failure scene near the beginning of the movie on the Tyrolean traverse. I liked Stallone's totally unnecessary dyno moves. Vertical Limit takes the cake for stupid climbing movies. I saw it in a theater with several friends and we were all laughing hysterically about how bad the "climbing" in the movie was. Other movie goers wondered what jokes they were missing. "Cut the rope. Any good climber would." lol.gif I also liked the dyno move and placing a cam in a crack on the fly. That would be...rather difficult to actually pull off in reality. Just thought of this. The Bond movie "For Your Eyes Only" has a good climbing scene in it that was realistic IIRC. And one of the best bond girls ever!

Schenk
Off Leash Man

Location: Traveling, with the bear, to the other side of the Mountain
Schenk
Off Leash Man
PostFri Nov 21, 2014 1:16 pm 
Aw...come on...Although not in a "climbing" movie...let's not forget the big wall solo scene with Captain James T Kirk! And the epic save by Spock...!

Nature exists with a stark indifference to humans' situation.
Matt
Tea, Earl Grey, Hot

Matt
Tea, Earl Grey, Hot
PostFri Nov 21, 2014 2:18 pm 
Best video about a bad climbing movie, Vertical Limit Guide to Climbing:
But if only they would have produced the sequel they promised, "Sylvester Stalone discusses harness inspection, bolt guns, and free soloing with pro."

tom roy

tom roy
PostFri Nov 21, 2014 2:28 pm 
Matt wrote:
MrDobalina907 wrote:
Touching the Void was about the only climbing movie I've seen that seemed authentic throughout. It's a mix of re-created scenes and interviews with the actual participants, but both are compelling. And when they're showing climbers, their movements and gear actually look like real climbing I've seen, not something made up for Hollywood.
I read the book saw the movie on PBS. Then went to a show by the guy that did not fall in PDX, Oh the will to survive all three told exactly the same story. Great film up.gif