Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Stupid and Not So Stupid Mtn Movies
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostFri Nov 21, 2014 2:34 pm 
Yeah Matt, that's what I'm talking about! I forgot to mention the flying leap and the perfect landing with the ice tools on a vertical wall. I don't think he'd just bounce off the wall or anything. Or break the tips on the tools. Yeah, totally realistic. As dumb as that movie was, how in the world did they talk Ed Viesturs into being a technical consultant and even brief cameo appearance as himself? I like to think he's still deeply ashamed of that endeavor. They probably wrote him a nice fat check that funded a couple of his Himalayan expeditions.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostFri Nov 21, 2014 3:17 pm 
That's worth some embarassment I think...funding a few trips is pretty sweet payoff for simply going along with some blockbuster which no real climber will take seriously anyway. I bet it doesn't save him from some digs at his expense around the campfire, though. hockeygrin.gif

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
gb

gb
PostFri Nov 21, 2014 5:32 pm 
olderthanIusedtobe wrote:
Cliffhanger is goofy but entertaining. I believe there was a lawsuit over that movie because of the totally ridiculous gear failure scene near the beginning of the movie on the Tyrolean traverse. I liked Stallone's totally unnecessary dyno moves.
Did anybody notice that Stallone pulled an ice axe out of his ass to stop himself from falling?

fourteen410

fourteen410
PostFri Nov 21, 2014 8:46 pm 
Matt wrote:
High Ice was the movie filmed on Whitehorse. Unfortunately it's very hard to find a copy of it, because it was a TV "Movie of the Week," not a theatrical release.
I have a copy cool.gif best climbing movie ever. Favorite line: "Shut up Cathy!"

wolffie

wolffie
PostTue Nov 25, 2014 2:51 pm 
I remember "Third Man on the Mountain". It was one of the very first movies I saw. Made in 1959 with Gaston Rebuffat leading the mountain photo unit. I would have been 7-8 years old. We were literally climbing the walls (or at least the stairwell) when we got home, and later, we made terrifying first ascents of the blasted road cut on Arrowhead Road. Golly we were bold. Good thing there were no creal cliffs around. I grew up about as far from mountains as one can on this planet, and even in my wildest dreams of boyhood it never ever occurred to me that I might actually see, let alone climb a mountain someday, or see a live volcano erupting.

Some people have better things to do with their lives than walking the dog. Some don't.
Blue Dome
Now with Retsyn

Blue Dome
Now with Retsyn
PostWed Nov 26, 2014 11:13 pm 
Cheesy by today's standards, but nonetheless a classic 1956 movie with a play on greed and morality: The Mountain, starring Spencer Tracy and Robert Wagner. Some cool mountain scenes and always good IMO to watch Spencer Tracy work. The movie was shot in color, but the trailer is in black and white.

“I never give them hell. I just tell the truth and they think it's hell.” — Harry S. Truman
contour5

contour5
PostThu Nov 27, 2014 1:03 pm 
North Face, 2008. A superb recreation of the 1936 2 man German expedition.

contour5

contour5
PostThu Nov 27, 2014 1:13 pm 
The Summit. An excellent and disturbing 2012 documentary film about the 2008 K2 disaster.