Forum Index > Gear Talk > best/ worst tents
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
AlpineRose

AlpineRose
PostFri Nov 21, 2014 10:51 pm 
Best tents: Hilleberg Akto - for all season, any condition. It's 1-person, but all Hilleberg tents are exceptionally high quality. Tarptent Moment - for la-de-da lightweight summer camping. Again 1-person, but all Tarptents are same good quality. Big Agnes Copper Spur UL3 - for 3-season camping. I use for two people, because I really like more space. imo, most 2 person tents have enough space for one person - or two people experiencing the first few months of new love. Worst tents: Any tent that lets rain/snow in when you open the fly.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
trail wiseguy

trail wiseguy
PostSat Nov 22, 2014 12:52 pm 
texasbb wrote:
trail wiseguy wrote:
... can you sit up in it?
How tall are you? (I'm assuming not very, else you'd have said. smile.gif )
hey, im 6 feet 3 inch! i can sleep in most tents but sitting up can be a problem some times.

"the mountains are calling and i must go" - John Muir
trail wiseguy

trail wiseguy
PostSat Nov 22, 2014 12:58 pm 
Franco wrote:
The Tarptent Strato Spire 2 mentioned bt Schroder is a somewhat larger version of the Nemo Meta 2 but with a rather different geometry and more usable length. Correctly guyed out it does work well in the wind and because of the deep vestibules it is a nice tent if stuck inside in the rain. (usually at leas one side can be left open) You can get a fabric inner for it (instead of the mesh version) so that condensation does not drop on you. (the inner is water resistant) This is an over the top look , I took this shot because it is a hard shape to work out from the usual eye level photos :
however as far as lasting a life time, well you might need a waxed canvas tent for that... (hint you can buy 2 of the SS2 for the price of one of the others..) franco@tarptent
I have been drooling over a few tarptents im just worried about the outer rain fly. It looks a little high off the ground and im worried about splashing coming in as I have had that problem before.

mike

mike
PostSat Nov 22, 2014 1:04 pm 
AlpineRose wrote:
Worst tents: Any tent that lets rain/snow in when you open the fly.
ditto.gif Around here you gotta be able to sit in a tent in the rain with the door open.

trail wiseguy

trail wiseguy
PostSat Nov 22, 2014 1:20 pm 
mike wrote:
AlpineRose wrote:
Worst tents: Any tent that lets rain/snow in when you open the fly.
ditto.gif Around here you gotta be able to sit in a tent in the rain with the door open.
what tents can you do that in? is that a deal breaker for most people?

texasbb
Misplaced Texan

texasbb
Misplaced Texan
PostSat Nov 22, 2014 1:41 pm 
There are lots of them, just none that fit tall guys. bawl.gif (That's why I earlier asked about height--the answers to questions like "can you sit up in it?" are meaningless without knowing the height of both the questioner and the answerer.)

AlpineRose

AlpineRose
PostSat Nov 22, 2014 1:56 pm 
Quote:
Around here you gotta be able to sit in a tent in the rain with the door open.
I can do that in all three of my "best tents". Researching the dimensions of any tent in which you are interested should give you information about whether it is long enough for you and whether you can sit up in it. A careful look at its design reveals what happens when you open the door in the rain or snow. For example, picture what happens when you open the door of this tent when it's raining.

trail wiseguy

trail wiseguy
PostSat Nov 22, 2014 1:58 pm 
texasbb wrote:
There are lots of them, just none that fit tall guys. bawl.gif (That's why I earlier asked about height--the answers to questions like "can you sit up in it?" are meaningless without knowing the height of both the questioner and the answerer.)
I like most rei tents because they have ample head room for tall people.

Franco

Franco
PostSat Nov 22, 2014 2:16 pm 
You can sit inside the Tarptent SS2 with the door open in the rain . Works for folk up to at least 6'4".
(I am only 5'8" but have about a foot of space above my head (I am sitting in the vestibule...) For the tall ones that do not use trekking poles, look at the Double Moment
This one works for the 6'6" types... Much smaller vestibules than the SS2 , still it has two (the end vents are open in this shot) franco@tarptent

Schroder

Schroder
PostSat Nov 22, 2014 3:30 pm 
I bought my SS2 specifically because it was tall enough for me to sit up in (I'm 6'4"). I had a Squall 2 but with all the height at the door end it was too cramped for me. It's also really nice be able to climb in and out through the side of the SS2.
trail wiseguy wrote:
I like most rei tents because they have ample head room for tall people.
All the ones I've compared at REI have short floors. The Hilleberg tent I have is an extra long - an option with some tent makers.

trail wiseguy

trail wiseguy
PostSat Nov 22, 2014 6:44 pm 
anyone have experience with Terra Nova?

Opus
Wannabe

Opus
Wannabe
PostSat Nov 22, 2014 8:17 pm 
Another vote for the Tarptent SS2. I've had mine two seasons now and love it. It's held up great to wind, rain, and even a little snow. Plenty of room for two people and all their gear. Best light tent I've ever used.

monorail

monorail
PostSat Nov 22, 2014 8:40 pm 
trail wiseguy wrote:
anyone have experience with Terra Nova?
I have a Terra Nova 'Solar Photon 2', and I'm pretty sure it's the most awesome tent in human history (but I haven't tried every tent ever made. Actually, I haven't used very many tents--- used to be more of a tarp guy). Weighs 2 lbs, double-wall, not a drop of condensation. I was on a trip where someone else had a single-wall Black Diamond, and he got seriously drenched with condensation... but the inside of my tent was bone-dry. In many ways the climate in the northwest has more in common with the UK than with any other part of the US. And most hikers in the UK head out in foul weather, so the UK manufacturers have to make stuff that really works... whereas a lot of American manufacturers seem to assume (rightly or wrongly) that most people here don't go out in the rain. But I love the rainy season, and the Terra Nova is a great tent for that. And I've used it in fairly strong winds, and in storms (in somewhat protected terrain), and it held up well. I'm 6'3", and the 2-person version is very comfortable for me. I don't think the 1-person version would work well for me, but that's true of every 1-person tent I've ever tried. They are expensive, but well worth it, and deals come along from time to time at places like Campsaver (I think that's where I got mine). The stakes that came with it are actually more effective than they look, but you'd definitely want to replace at least some of them with something sturdier.

mike

mike
PostSat Nov 22, 2014 8:59 pm 
Voyager Ultra 2 Tent £1200 eek.gif

monorail

monorail
PostSun Nov 23, 2014 12:16 am 
mike wrote:
Voyager Ultra 2 Tent £1200 eek.gif
Well, I think that one is intended for use on other planets such as Mars. The Solar Photon I got was around $300-350, discounted.