Forum Index > Pacific NW History > Wildland Fires - histories, technical articles
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Chico

Chico
PostSat Nov 22, 2014 10:06 am 
Came across this site in a search for information concerning the 1902 Yacolt Burn (see volume 65, number 1) The information appears to be continent wide if not world wide but has write-ups on historical wildfires. I'm sure the Big Burn is included but you'll have to search. I've no idea which volume it would be in. Currently 73 volumes with 4 numbers each (quarterly document). It started with the first volume in 1936. There is no search provided although you could use Google and limit on the domain. Fire Management Today

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Billoutwest

Billoutwest
PostSat Feb 07, 2015 5:15 am 
To get maps of fire histories it is common in the Western States for the USFS to have generated GIS maps of larger fires on each forest. Typically 100 acres and larger. These maps work well for planing and public meeting understanding. Depending on your 'need' one might be able to get a hard copy of something already generated. If you're just interested in a map of recent fires/prescribed fires for mushroom hunting ask at the front desk. You might get a handout or a sketch on a map. Fire history maps are not always complete and can lose quality especially before WWII time frames. ======= Interesting trivia. I met two fellow FS fire folks at a class that were from Northern Cal. They had an approximately 50,000 acre fire from the early 40's that wasn't in their records. I believe they said their records were missing either two or three years from that time frame. They thought this was because we didn't want the Japanese to know they had some success with the balloon bombs.

retired USFS
Chico

Chico
PostSat Feb 07, 2015 1:58 pm 
Billoutwest wrote:
They thought this was because we didn't want the Japanese to know they had some success with the balloon bombs.
I think they were right.

Conrad
Meadow bagger

Conrad
Meadow bagger
PostSat Feb 07, 2015 2:12 pm 
Gotta plug this Forest Service site I worked on for most of 2013, which has followup reports on most fires from the 1980s onward: Burned Area Reports